More Than Just "the Runs"

I've hesitated in posting this, but need some advice....

There seems to be some common disturbances with "guts" associated with POTS. From what I've gathered, the majority run into problems with constipation.

Does anyone have the opposite? I ask because I've been suffering with diarrhea (sp?) for almost 8 years now. It's getting to the point where it's more and more difficult to control my bowels. When the urge strikes, I better 'high tail' it to the bathroom, or else! Am I alone here? Anyone else had success with diet changes or medications to control their bowels?

Please let me know what you think! I see my pcp tomorrow, and would like to offer up any successes that may have worked among the troupes here, to see if they might work for me too!!!

Hugs to all of you :ph34r:

i'm on the very slow end of things but there i wouldn't say that's more of the norm. i can think of many on the board who have had trouble in the opposite, aka "too fast" direction. some have had success with dietary changes but i'm sure it varies. i KNOW that you're not alone in this though.

hopefully others will chime in with some thoughts/suggestions...

:ph34r: melissa

HI!

A FRIEND JUST WENT MANY YEARS...SAMO PROB.......AND DOCS OVERLOOKED POSSIBILITY-----COMPLETELY OF 'celiac disease'....WHICH IS A PROB W/ SMALL INTESTINE...CAUSED BY GLUTEN DISTROYING VILLI IN SMALL INTESTINE...AND symtoms range from chronic..'got to go'-no warning...or bam!....to bloating..constipation...yada....

***so search on web....very interesting!

so sad....so many years go by...and these docs not 'cluing in' on so many possibilities.....arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

:ph34r:

anyways....i surely would inquire...and hopefully the doc doesn't go the all 2 heard response of==='what's that???!'......oh my.......

good luck hun....heck of a horrible way to live on top of all else we endure.

best regards,

Maggee

OOPS.......

BY THE WAY.....

:ph34r:

celiac dx diagnosed by 4 or so blood tests:)

Maggee

That's me, too. And to me as well, it seems a majority on the other side of the fence, but you know- grass is always greener... (well, ok not greener, but you know what I mean!)

In fact, I just finished drinking my 2 liter bottle of halflytely for my colonoscopy/endoscopy tomorrow. It was definitely the highlight of my day. *Shudder* I had to drink 40 oz. of glycerol mixed with ice water at Vanderbilt in August, and this was 64 ounces of pure evil with a hint of orange. It seems cruel to try to flush out someone who's on the toilet all the time by giving them laxatives... I don't know what exactly the doctor is looking for, since my celiac and IBD tests came back negative, but I guess we'll find out. All I say is he'd better have something for me at the end of the day. :ph34r:

SO- if we're looking at autonomic problems, they can most commonly cause the rate and force of intestinal contractions too be too slow, too fast, or probably just 'irregular'. It seems to me that the too fast might cause the runs whereas the too slow bit causes the back up...

Anyway, sorry you're dealing with this.. I don't know what they can give or do to slow you down if it's dysaut. related, and if it's not, then I hope you can figure out what it is.

I have IBS and have been dealing with chronic diarrhea for about 2 1/2 years. I tried fiber tabs, and they did help for a little while, but then they gave up on me. Since then I've been taking Immodium 1 or 2 per day. I wish I could be more help, but I still suffer with this issue.

I had "bizarre" (doctor's term!) bowel problems a few years ago and after my first of many colonoscopies I was diagnosed (incorrectly) with ulcerative colitis. It is a very common and uncomfortable problem but treatable. You might want to do a search and look it up. It is a bowel disease and in the same family as Crohn's disease. It is characterized by frequent and sudden diarrhea. Good luck!

Carmen

just to add to carmen's comment re: ulcerative colitis.....

there is always bleeding with it as well. that doesn't mean that you can necessarily see the blood but it's not "just" diarrhea. and while that's the most common it's not always the case...i was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a year and a half ago and while my case was mild i still had a LOT of bleeding. b/c of my slow motility i had urgency but not diarrhea. i was odd in that regard though.

ulcerative colitis is generally diagnosed by a colonoscopy....it ranges greatly in severity & response to treatment but is not nearly as common as IBS. it is considered a type of inflammatory bowel disease but unlike crohns it "only" affects the colon rather than the entire GI tract.

hope you get some answers soon...

:ph34r: melissa

Hi,

I have problems both ways. One day I can't stop going to the bathroom. I can eat dinner and before I'm even finished eating I get horrible stomach cramps and sweaty...Then a few days later I can have probs going to the bathroom.

Jacquie

I have both as well, in fact, today has been a bathroom day....everything I eat wants to come back out.

I was dx with IBS I think in 1995. I'm used to it now....if I watch what I eat, that helps a lot.

Amber

Do you still have your gallbladder?

Gracie,

My gallbladder was removed in 1996. The surgeon warned me about eating foods high in fat or foods containing nuts/peanuts, etc., as they could lead to "dumping" syndrome. Regardless of my diet, I'm still suffering from constant diarrhea.

Hello all,

I just wanted to say "thank you" to all of you who responded to my post. It really means a lot to me to know that you are all there for me when these issues and questions come up. I'll be seeing my doctor later this morning, so perhaps I can offer up some of the issues you wrote about and potential tests to be run to rule out the celiac disease or other complications which trigger the digestive distress I have.

Thanks again!

Hi, good luck with your appointment and let us know how you make out! :wub:

Guest CyberPixie

I had this, was going many times a day. The autonomic nervous system controls the bowels and can speed it up or slow it down. Don't know if it's coincidence but since I started taking vit D and calcium it's gone!

My husband has "neurogenic bladder" and also bowel. His body will just decide to flush whatever it has and there is no time for planning. The urologist prescribed Detrol LA (extended release) to help buy some time with the bladder problem and he was hoping that it would help with the bowels too. This has been a wonder drug for him. He might occasionally still get an urgent urge but he has time to get somewhere. If you look up Detrol and read the detailed monograph, you will see that it is a smooth muscle anti-spasmodic - whatever, it has been very helpful for almost a year now. He does experience dry mouth with it but it is manageable and helps him stay hydrated.

Good luck

I have had diarrhea for the past year, so I can't even imagine dealing with it for 8 years!! My doctor told me to take Fibercon once a day. It seems counterintuitive to me cause it mentions being a laxative... but I think the fiber bulks things up a bit. It works pretty well for me and has gotten things under control.

Hope you feel better soon!

Pam

Guest GayleP

I'm all or nothing. Cycles where I'm mainly constipated and then cycles where I have the runs. Like with Ernie, chocolate is a trigger. So are foods high in fat. I recently discovered that probiotic pills also make things worse. Now I'm experimenting with yogurt.

Anyhow, you're not alone with this problem.

If probiotic pills make it worse, would yogurt actually help??

I had my miserable colonoscopy/endoscopy yesterday (woke me up 1/2way through cuz my BP was crashing with Versed and they couldn't take a chance, so I was mostly awake for the rest- and the demerol only helped a little) and even after I ate lunch yesterday, I still had diarrhea. So much for 1-3 days off!

I don't get the fiber thing, either. I seem to eat more fiber than anyone I know, but I've tried taking low-fiber days and it doesn't help either.

Guest GayleP
If probiotic pills make it worse, would yogurt actually help??

A few months ago I read an article that talked about the benefits of yogurt vs probiotic pills. Apparently the pills don't work as well and can sometimes make you worse because you don't know what's really in them. At least with yougurt you know you're getting the real thing real thing. I only eat Mountain High plain yogurt.

Sorry about what happened during your colonoscopy. That sounds awful and why I'm so afraid to have one.

BTW, the fiber thing can be very tricky. Too much can be just as bad as too little. And then certain kinds of fiber can be triggers. I still haven't figured it out..