Loop Monitor

mtkim

This is my first post to the forum. Thanks for bearing with me. My family doc is pretty much convinced that I have POTS. She ordered a tilt table, but my cardiologist red flagged it before I could have it. I saw my cardiologist today for the first time in a little over a year. I take Tambocor and a small dose of atenolol 12.5 mg in the morning and 12.5 mg in the evening. I have had cardiology studies and have even undergone and unsuccessful ablation. Today he couldn't even remember why I was on the cardiac medications that he has me on and he spent more time looking for when I had the ablation than he did actually listening to my husband and I. He finally suggested implanting a loop monitor, weaning me off the cardiac medications, and then performing a tilt table. Weaning off the heart meds is a little scary for me because I don't want to go back to the days when my husband would have to drive me to the hospital with my head hanging out the window while I tried to stay conscious with a heart rate of over 200. Has anyone else had a loop monitor implanted? Get this, he said at least you've never had afib. My husband's jaw dropped because on the very last visit after having a Holter he said he was concerned about there possibly being a small break through of afib.

What hurt the most from this doctor today was that he just made me feel terrible about myself. Yes, I know I'm overweight; yes, I know I smoke (I'm a medical transcriptionist and I know the consequeces are), and I drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day. He told me that he just thought I had an addictive personalilty. I don't drink. I have never used drugs, gees I don't even play the lottery. Now I'm afraid to eat one of my favorite cookies because I might be addicted to them too. Sorry for rambling, I'm just a little self conscious right now.

Meds are Tambocor, atenolol, Prilosec, Lasix (have to control the swelling some times), Xanax 0.25 mg twice a day, and a baby dose of Zoloft at night.

Thanks again

Hi mtkim!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your less than satisfactory doctor experience. I can understand how that feels! It is really discouraging. I hope that you will be able to get your tilt table test soon. Have you considered going to another doc for a second opinion? Glad you found us and I hope you'll find all the info and support you are looking for here... we are here for you!

Welcome.

Even though he was not very sympathetic to you I hope that these tests that he ordered will help in a diagnosis for you and then you can always switch to someone else to manage your care. No one likes to dr. shop but it is very important to have one that tries to understand what you are going through and is willing to do whatever they can to help. :)

I hope everything works out. :D

Welcome! I would ditto that its time to doctor shop. Get the TTT but try and find another cardiologist, look for an electrophysiologist, they are more versed in POTS (so mine says). Many of us have had doctors treat us badly, you have to remember and believe that they do not know you and are no reflection on who you really are - but I am sorry that happened to you.

Good luck!

Welcome!

Have you thought about going ahead and having the TTT done. Also it might not hurt to see another cardio doctor or even an EP Doctor for an 2nd option. I have two abltions both went bad, I now have a pacer and still am having some problems. I went for a 2nd and 3rd option and thats how I found out I have POTS, and NCS. I guess my thought it can never hurt to ask another doctor, I havd on that thought I was carsy, and look after all os it I found out that I had POTS. Keep looking for the right treatment, and listen too much to that doctor! So times they don't know how to treat you so the just say dumb things!

Amy

My cardiologist did an EP study following my wearing a Holter monitor for a month -- I was allergic to the little stickies, and they had to mail me some hypo-allergenic ones. After doing the EP study, he decided to implant the continuous loop recorder, which really gave him the info he needed.

The procedure is a simple one and there is little discomfort afterwards (or there was for me). The monitor worked for me for almost 20 months, and it was not a problem getting the info downloaded. The monitor is implanted just under the skin and you'll have a small scar about an inch long. If you run your finger over the "pocket" created for the monitor, you'll be able to feel it, but no one else should ever notice it. The monitor is roughly the size of an old-fashioned pack of gum. After it was in place, and the incision healed, I was rarely aware of it.

I would probably shop around for another cardiologist, have your records transferred, and see if a 2nd cardiologist would advise coming off the meds. You could see if the 2nd cardio also recommends the loop recorder. It showed the arrythmias I was experiencing, but unfortunately, indicated I may be a candidate for a pacemaker, and I just have mixed feelings about a pacemaker.

Thank you all very much for your replies. You have made me feel a lot better. After a particularly bad weekend with me crying myself to sleep one evening my husband (my own personal paramedic) decided to give the internet one more shot and the first thing that popped up this time was this site. He came to wake me up and he was so exicted because he finally knew what was the matter with me and my family doctor has definitely agreed. My cardiologist today just out and out told me that he thought POTS was too rare for me to have it. This is the same cardiologist who was so sure that the ablation was going to work that my husband and I really got the feeling that he was mad at me when it was unsuccessul. I think the big problem is that he only wants to listen to the cardiac issues (half listening because he was so busy trying to find the ablation report again). He never wants to hear or discuss any of the medical problems. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I would love for him to have just one day of the overwhelming sick feeling that comes over me and to not have the ability to shower without a nap or raise his arms to comb his hair (although not a long reach cuz he's only about 5' tall :D ).

I have been reading this forum for about a month now and I want to say thanks to all of you for listening. You are all so very kind to each other.

Wishing you all good days,

Kim

Hi Kim, welcome!

I had an unsuccessful ablation too and ended up on disability at which time my cardio asked me to discharge myself from his practice! I tell people, he got a beemer and I got disability, just doesn't seem fair somehow....

I think I would try another eps also. I know the thought of going off your meds is scary, but i think being on them when you have a tilt can skewer things. I was on a beta blocker when i had mine and although i got really sick that cardio said it was negative. My pcp said no way it was negative to have the reaction I did while on meds.

I hope you get some answers soon and it sounds like you've got a great supportive husband! That's a big bonus. morgan