sad...venting

I asked my dad to come down and be with me when I do my tilt table test and help me out afterwards. The test/hospital is two hours away from home, and I will have to get from the hospital to a hotel etc afterwards (check in, carry up luggage, find food..)...He said no. He thinks my husband and daughter (5 years old) should be there..... I don't want to scare my daughter and I really think afterwards, if I have a bad time during the tilt, that I won't be able to bare being jumped on and played with. I will just want to lay in the dark and go to sleep... Plus my husband is the 'shut up and deal with it' type....and I could be over my 'dealing with it' limit and won't want guff...

I feel really let down, I thought my dad would do this for me.... I don't think my husband will and there is no other close family....

I'll figure it out, but I wanted to cry on some friends shoulders for a moment.

Hi,

I wish I lived close to you because I would be there for you...Is there anyone else who could go with you? I know what you mean by not wanting your daughter there because you may not feel good after. When is your TTT scheduled for?? Do you know if the hospital you are going to admits you before doing the TTT? The first one I got I was at the hospital for a few hours, because they admitted me, etc. However, when I went to another hospital I just arrived went in w/o an IV and they did the TTT and I was done within 2 hours. Let us know how you make out and I hope that you can find someone to go with you.

Jacquie

Depending on your body the tilt may be over very quickly. My whole procedure was ten minutes, I think. However, if your dad is not willing to go with you for the test would he be willing to help out with your daughter so that your husband can help you? I know when I have things done I have to help with my kids (usually my father) and then either my mother or my husband "babysit" me. Hope you can find a solution.

Carmen

I am sorry that you are not being supported. I think you will need some help. When I had mine done, after I blacked out, I vomited and was really ill. It took me 2 days in bed to get over. The doctor said it was normal as all your electricals are shut down. Maybe your husband can take your daughter out for a long play to give you some quiet time. Hope you can work it out.

Hugs

Suz

My best suggestion would be to use a car service or cab to and from the hospital so that you wont have to drive following the test. Sorry you feel unsupported by your family--many of us have lived through and/or are living through similar situations. Many of my family members thought I was faking--only this year did my mother finally admit that it scares to think about how ill I am. She apparent read my website and then came to DINET and did some reading.

Do you have any friends that might be able to go with you? A friend of mine from work took me to my TTT. She'd actually been suspected of having POTS and had a TTT herself but ended up having Adison's.

Nina

I'm sorry to hear this dear! You definately need someone to drive you afterwards and keep an eye on you bc depending how it goes, you might be a little weary afterwards. (but this all depends) I would try talking to your dad again, bc I don't think that having your daughter along is necessary or good. You going to need some kick back time to regain strength, time to yourself. I know it is hard for family members to be supportive, my mom is the same way with me. She didn't believe that I was ill for the longest time. Now, she just tells me to suck it up and deal with it which sometimes helps me push myself. But sometimes I need a shoulder to cry on and a big hug!

Hope everything works out, you still have a few weeks! I know it is nerve wrecking.

Nicole B)

Well I have reserved a room at a hotel that is ADJACENT to the hospital. I went to the hospitals web site and they offer discounted rates at nearby hotels so I got quite a nice one for 69.00. They have flexible checkin for hospital patients/visitors...

They said it is also extendable if I need to stay more nights.

I just can't put a five year old thru seeing me at my worst, it isn't fair to her... And could be scary for her. I am pretty good about sucking it up, but the more I do that when it is bad, the harder it is to recover....

I asked my dad to come down and be with me when I do my tilt table test and help me out afterwards. The test/hospital is two hours away from home, and I will have to get from the hospital to a hotel etc afterwards (check in, carry up luggage, find food..)...He said no. He thinks my husband and daughter (5 years old) should be there..... I don't want to scare my daughter and I really think afterwards, if I have a bad time during the tilt, that I won't be able to bare being jumped on and played with. I will just want to lay in the dark and go to sleep... Plus my husband is the 'shut up and deal with it' type....and I could be over my 'dealing with it' limit and won't want guff...

I feel really let down, I thought my dad would do this for me.... I don't think my husband will and there is no other close family....

I'll figure it out, but I wanted to cry on some friends shoulders for a moment.

I went though my first tilt table test about two weeks ago, and really feel for you. It was a difficult test for me, and I would not have been able to drive home after. I was really weak for a couple of days after. I remember wishing I had more family around to help. (I have two elementary age children that also need my care) It is so hard to care for them, when you can barely care for yourself.

I have been going to so many dr. apts it is nearly impossible to have my husband with me at many of them. I also have no family around to help. I decided to ask a couple of friends for help. They were happy to have my children come over and play. I also asked a friend that I rarely get a chance to see to take me to an appointment. Her conversation was a nice break distraction.

It can be so painful to ask for help, but I hope you have a good friend that will come to your rescue.

You will be in my thoughts. I hope all goes well with the TTT

Guest Julia59

I'm sorry your Dad isn't willing to help----that's hard when you feel that your not being supported by family.

If you can at least find someone to take you---or like Nina suggested, some kind of car service. cab, ect.

That Tilt table may not be too bad----but it is difficult to predict how you will feel, so it's nice to have someone there with you. My last one was at the same hospital Dr. Grubb works at, and I live only about a mile away, so it wasn't a big deal.

I hope you get something figured out----sending you a big hug........

Julie :0)

Ah, the joys of family.....

Most hospitals now have van service, from where ever you are to the hospital and back and it's typically free. Call the hospital and find out and just set up the time you need to be there and tell them you will need a ride back to the hotel.

My tilt wasn't fun, but I recovered within a day. It was the first few hours after that I felt gross. Anyway, If you call the hospital they will let you know if they have that service to and from the hotel. It sounds like a fair sized area. Courtesy van. That's what I was looking in my pea brain for.

I don't know what to tell you if you don't drive, like me. About the 2 hour trip there. If you go to a church, sometimes they have volunteers that help people. It's so hard to have unsupportive family and no one wants their children to see them feeling really punk. I hope you are able to come up with something. morgan

i'm so sorry for your hurt from your family. as mentioned, many of us have had to deal with unbelieving/unsupportive family, but it doesn't make it easier when you're feeling bad and it's your own family! i hope you are able to work something out. you are very strong and resourceful, i can tell from your posts. just remember the tilt might not be as bad as you think it will be, but i agree with you, it's better to be prepared for the worst.

if i lived closer i would take you.

good luck and know that you are supported here!

love and light

lulu :)

Hi H,

Oh what an image I had gotten when I read that. All of us together, puking, passing out, downing water, poppng pills. LOL, party games, see who can stand up the longest, who has the most pills to take, who can take all their pills in one gulp, who can crawl to the bathroom the fastest.

Seriously, it would be great if we could get together in some blissful place.

Janine

hmichel

I also am sorry you don't get more support from family...I do from my sister and mom, but my brother never calls or comes around ..but then again, my sister doesn't hear from him either!? But he isn't somebody I could ask a favor from...I just know he and his wife "dont' get that I am so ill".

but it must be MOST difficult when you need transportation for such a trip, and long distance cab services are expensive and that is a real issue.

I hope you can find somebody to drive and to help out with your little girl.

Also that your tilt gives answers to help your situation and get relief.

Good luck with all your challenges.

Guest tearose

I am sorry you have to deal with this family stuff while to try to manage yourself too!

I like the adjacent hotel and I like that car service idea.

I'm figuring the doctor will keep you there until he can safely discharge you. They will just have to be kind and helpful until you can get your body outta there!!!

I did not crash after my ttt, just felt weak and woozie.

I hope you have an easier time of it...we just never know!

sending you strength, tearose

Perhaps someone from a locsl church eould be willing. Years ago I drove cance paientsfrom State Coleege to Hershey medical center in Pa for chemo treatments. If you call churches and ask. They may have a stephens ministry program. Miriam :)

Before I got sick, I travelled a bunch and there is a way to prepare for what might not be so good (hopefully, you will breeze through.) Drop your luggage with the Bell Captain before the test and tell him/her that you will need help with the luggage when you arrive. Get your food and drink planned out before hand; see the room service menu/hours or take your food, etc.

Sometimes my family offers to come with me, but it has made it worse for me -- guilt about keeping them waiting or worried, concern for them besides my own stress. I try to do it (tests and regular doctor visits) alone so if I get all emotional (one of my M.O.s), no-one has to be in earshot. For ER, I need someone there because I am "out of it."

I am really sorry you have to add this stress to the test itself.

OLL