Irregular heart beats

dizzygirl

Hi folks

I am wondering for a few months Now I have been having alot MORE problems then usual w/ irregular heartbeats.. that lasted anywhere from a few minutes to hours if not days.. and that was a regualr occurance for me.. and I just dealt with it..

well I'm posting b/c my irregular heartbeating has been non-stop for about 6wks or so.. everytime some one listens to my heart it is irregular.. my nurse told me yesterday.. that she thinks that it is part of my pots..she said that it goes up and down just like that..

I have in the past had a hisotry of "strings" of PVC's and SVT episodes..

I'm just curious if any body else has irregular beats that last so long? and if it is apots thing?

thanks

About a month or so ago I had a string of PACs that ran for approx. 2 weeks. My doc prescribed a beta blocker propolanol (sp?). I took a low dose of it for a week and it got rid of those nasty and scary irregular heartbeats! I would definitely make an appt. with your PCP or cardio and get it checked out to make sure it's nothing serious.

Gena

Hi Linda,

I have had bouts of SVT's that lasted for days. I am on Toprol which helps a great deal. If I don't take my Toprol the arrhythmia comes back :( . I also have the lovely SA Node Re-Entry tachy which flares up every once in a while. I wonder if BB's would help you....? hmmm. :) Def. check with your doc to see if he thinks they would help your situation.

Jacquie

there is that potassium again! LOL :(--i think your right morgan!

thanks gals..I am allready on BB's I take betaxolol 20mg 2times aday..betaxolol is a stronger form of propranolol and 20mgmgs of betaxolol is equivalent to 90mg of propranolol 4times aday.. which was the doseage of propranolol that i was on before switiching to betaxolol..

the betaxolol works alot better then then the propranolol did for me.. it keeps my Hr out of the 200-240 range.. but it still gets up there to about 170.. I also take clonidine..

so yeah I think that it is time to callthe cardio guy ....

Hi,

This is yet another reason I am pro beta blocker. I am on Innopran XR, long acting propranolol. It significantly reduced my episodes of irregular heart beats. I have had PSVT, PAC's PVC' A Flutter....

I personally have tried many beta blockers Toprol, Atenolol etc... I found that (and research shoes) that Propranolol is more "general" acting and it more apt to cover multiple reasons for ectopic heart beats.

Peace

Janine

Hi,

I wound up on the brand Innopran after trying prpranolol and the other variations by other manufacturers. You need to remember most of us have chemical sensitivities so even though the the main ingredient may work the additives in from the different manufacterers may give us unwanted side effects. This was true for florinef also for me, the generic work much better.

Its all trial and error

This is meant as no offense to anyone. I was the same way until I had a Doc familiar with POTS sit down and explain to me. This sums up what he told me : Most POTs patients are at thier wits end by time they get to me and are looking for a magic pill. Not everyone reacts the same to all medications and not all medications are manufactured the same. You have to have the patience and will power to try medications at different doses, different forms, be strict about when you take them and what you take them with....

It was a long lecture. This is just something I struggled with and then got organized. Everything on paper so my foggy brain wouldnt forget.

This is what I learned from my experience.

Sometimes meds made me sick at the initial low dose but if I increased the dose I didnt get side effects.

Sometimes I had to suffer through some crappy side effects for about a month until my body tolorated th med and made me feel better.

I give all new meds 1 month with out introducing anything new into my diet or meds.

I try different forms of the med, liquid, chewable, different manufacturer becasue they contain different additives and there may be a particular additive that makes me sick. ( I know we all look up meds to see their effects but has anyone looked up the ingredients in the med and then looked up the side effects of those ingredients or fillers? Try it you may be amazed)

I learned to watch whatch what I eat with meds.

I try different times of day to take the med.

I watch out of side effects if I take several drugs at one time.

I actually take my meds (14 pills) at 6 different times of day. I take meds that give me diarrhea with yogurt. It helpd.

I found that the liquid form of my mineral supplement helps tremendously but the pills do nothing I can notice.

Ita a pain in the butt at first... but its worth it in the long run.

Peace

Jaine

You could try to take an anti-arrhythmic if the BB's aren't working well. My doc wanted to put me on Flecainide, but after reading the side effects I said NO WAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! I'm sure there are others out there if you wanna give them a shot.

I still have problems with heart rhythm, but I am dealing with them :( .

Jacquie

Yup- I went to the doctor when I was 20 and she listened to my heart and said, "you have an abnormal heart beat. you should get it checked out." and that started the ball rolling. After a holter monitor test, my Dr. immediately put me on Toprol even though he didn't know why it was beating so fast sometimes.

yeah I did ask the other day if my meds could be casuing my heart to beat irregular.. and I was told No.. that BB's typicaly are suppose to help with that!!

I'm like well welcome to my body.. it doesntreact to anything normally! LOL