A humdinger of a night

taylortotmom

Okay, I have waited a few days to post this because I wanted to clear my mind. Saturday, my seven year old had to be admitted to the hospital for pneumonia. Okay, I had not had my iv fluids like I should because I had been caring for a sick child at home. When they gave my daughter her iv at the hospital I was okay at first. Then, I turned around and got extremely dizzy and had to sit down. Continued to get worse. Tried to walk back to my daughter's room (I had to go down a hall from the tx room) and literally, fell out. Down- three times trying to make it back to her room. As presyncopal as I have been, I have never actually fallen. This time I did- oh, boy.

Well, had my husband bring my iv stuff from home and hooked up in my daughter's room. Four hours later I was no better and had an excrutiating migraine (with numbness). The pediatric ward could not touch me. I had to go through the ER and become a patient of the hospital. So, I called and talked to my cardio who is six hours from me and explained what happened. He told me to go on down to the ER to make sure I didn't hurt myself when I fell. Okay, so the nurses on the pediatric ward had to roll me to the ER. Well, I was seen by a fourth year med student who was very attentive and interested in my hx. Well, his attending was something else.

Not only did he repeatedly question how I got my diagnoses and treatment, he even questioned the type of pacemaker I have. My cardio trained at one of the leading cardio research hospitals in the country and this fruitloop ER doctor was questioning every decision my doctor had made!!

Now get this: this "Dr." said that I did not need my iv's, that I needed to learn biofeedback to get the fluid to move from my legs to my heart. Even my HUSBAND looked at him like he was an idiot. Now, biofeedback has its place. Yes, you might can work hard and learn how to manipulate your pulse and to LOWER your blood pressure through biofeedback but fluids??? Furthermore, he had this list of alternative txs he was suppose to write for me and suggested cognitive therapy. I informed him I am a former therapist. He shut up after this.

Well, he treated my migraine and said nothing else about his alternative txs. His student came back in the room and I told the student privately not to take what the doctor said about dysautonomia as the gospel. The student agreed with me and said he had gotten that feeling about the ER doctor on some other cases as well. So, I felt better that at least the student had a clue! It really was almost comical but how ABSURD. Hello- I have a pacemaker, fell out at the hospital, and they didn't even do an EKG to be safe???

Girls, we've got a lot of work to do, don't we?

Carmen

Hi Carmen,

I'm sorry you had such a horrible ER experience, but am I surprised??? Nah. We do have alot of work to do!!!!!! :) How are you feeling now? Your daughter okay? Keep us updated!

Jacquie

I hope every one in the family is better now. I am so glad that the resident met someone who has this problem because now maybe he'll see it in the future and think of you. Of course we all know its all in our heads and if we wanted to we could just make ourselves feel better. Glad your hubby was there for backup. Surprised the doc didn't think you were trying to get attention from dau.! if we didn't have these stories of dumb drs to shake our heads and laugh at we'd all go crazy. Best to you all on Vday.

good god carmen!! I am so sorry that you had to deal with that dr.. who thought he was "all that" stupid stupid stupid!!!

I hope that you and you daughter are feeling better now.. and dont evr have to go to the ER again. and deal with DR. WRATCHETT!!

NIG HUGS to you!

Carmen,

Sure makes you wonder how some people ever make it out of school. I am most upset that no ECG was performed - are you seeing your regular cardio for this? That should have been the first thing looked at given the fact that you've just recently had your pacer changed.

I hope you are managing ok and a quick recovery for your little one! Watch that you don't also come down with something. Take care. Laura

Gee Carmen, I'd like to be shocked but am busy with my 24/7 biofeedback and cognitive therapy... :huh: I am so sorry this all happened to you. Hope everyone is on the road to recovery.

When I was in the hospital last August, my pcp had 5 residents with him. I looked every one of them square in the eye and told them to remember me. Someday, they will meet someone like me and they'd better not judge on the surface, or they would prove to be very poor practitioners. They all thought I was very interesting. I hope they all thought I was legit...

Autumn and I are both doing better. I just wonder if biofeedback will increase my chest.......

We have been making jokes about this at home since that experience. My husband wants to know why if we can control ANS function is it called autonomic? Can we think our way out of a heart attack? Geesh......

Thanks for listening guys.

Carmen

Guest Julia59

OH MY CARMEN---------------------- :huh: !

This doc was really full of himself-----he must be really proud of this new found cure all for blood pooling----what an amazing man---NOT--------------DING, DING, DING----and this guy was the attending? Pretty scarey----yes we do have a lot of work to do.

I'm glad the 4th year student had some sense.......... ;)

Hang in there---I hope you are both feeling better.

Julie :0)