Headache from laying down?

Jacquie802

I layed down most of today and I have a massive headache now. Can laying down too much in one day cause a headache or increase in BP, which would cause a headache??? Just wondering.

Thanks

Jacquie

Jacquie~

I was wondering the same thing?!? B) It happens to me ALL the time, if i lie down for a nap in between doses of midodrine. And alot of times in the morning. Hope you head gets to feeling better :)

Nicole

I too will get a headache if I have been laying down too much, or at least I used too...I dont get that luxory anymore (since having a child). I get a massive one if I turn my head upside down as well. My theory, and it is just my theory, is that the blood vessels at the base of my brain or whatever dialate causing the blood to fall out when I stand (hence the headache upon standing?) and also a rush of too much blood when I lay down too long or turn my head upside down...I also know that putting heat to my neck when I am symptomatic makes it worse....which would make sense if the blood vessels were already too dialated...

Just my theory.

I don't think you are supposed to lay down while on midodrine.thats why they don't want you to take it after 5 in the eve. If I feel like I have to I go lay down I go to the recliner. Somedays I just have a headache and I wonder if it isn't from all the meds kicking in.

I am only on Florinef and Toprol XL.. Does that mean I shouldn't lay down either?

Hi jacquie.. thought that I would add my 2 cents here too..

you can get a headache from BP changes and Hr and such..from high and low pressures.

I also thought that .. how is the positions of you head and you neck when you are laying down... (believe me! I am a pro when it comes to headaches is any position) what I mean is are you laying on more then one pillow? ( I know I have been famous in the past for sleeping with approximately 7-8 pillows under my head at one time.. stupid to do if you have neck issue!!.. i know that now anyways LOL... it made it easier for me to breath sleeping proped up)

I too get headaches in any position.. especially standing or sitting up for more then about 10 minutes.. if I dont have something to lean my head/neck on.. or to support my neck..

Point being that if you lay on multiple pillows it can like put a kink or something in your neck.. and that can cause a headache..if you neck isnt properly supported..

if you are getting headaches laying down.. you could try using one pillow. or you can go to a rehab store or even walmart.. they make cervical pillows. that will support you neck..( I have found that memory foam U shaped pillows or Buckwheat hull U shaped pillows are the most comfortable..buckwheat hull pillows are alittle harder to find.. i got mine from a medical supply store)

they also makes long roll pillows that support the neck..or if you dont have the loot to my pillows rolls and stuff. you can roll a towel up and put in under your neck..

also if you have been laying dwon for a while and you havent eaten.. tha can also be a cause for headaches.. atleast for me it is anyways...

and yes i just want to voice my PLEASE do NOT lay dwon after taking Midodrine.. that will make you feel horrible!! if you really feel the urge to lay down sit in a recliner. and recline..

these are jus thought od mine that I am familiar with. they may or may not apply to you.. but thought I'd chime in..

Hope that you get headach relief soon!!

Goodness me, Im sorry I confused you all.

I take midodrine 2x a day, after it has been five hours since my first dose I sometimes lay down if I am tired. I know not to lie down before then because it last in your system four hours, and I dont wanna do any damage getting suspine hypertension.

Sorry about the confusion!

Nicole

while it is true that the general directive/ package insert for midodrine/proamatine states not to lay down while the medication is actively in your system, there are people (including myself) who have been told not to head this restriction. particularly those of us with super low BP to begin with. i take fairly high doses of midodrine but have no problem with being entirely flat with the med in my system. i'm not saying this is the case for everyone but i also doubt that i'm the only one.

:huh: melissa

So, your bp can drop when you are laying down? Maybe that explains why even when I lay down I still feel dizzy most of the time!

Jacquie

jacquie--yeah.. checking your BP while laying down might be a good idea.. My BP drops low while laying down..it drops in any position really.. but it s worht a shot to se if there is a correlation going on there

hope you feel better soon