Pcp won't okay chair

morgan617

:) Well I try to keep upbeat you know, but then every once in awhile, kerblam...

I called my pcp on Monday to ask about getting a power chair. I had an appointment this month which they cancelled 1/2 hour before the visit. They told me I could come on another day, but I couldn't go, and since I couldn't go that day, they put me on the cancellation list. I haven't heard from them since. That was January 4th.

So I saw my ENT and he wanted to know why I didn't have a scooter or chair with my balance issues.

I called my pcp on Monday. They called back on Tuesday and I explained, I was not giving up, I just needed more help right now. I am having trouble getting around my house. My physical therapist quit and no one will see me till my pcp talks to them.

So I wait and wait and don't hear back. My case manager with my insurance called today and told me to call him again. They called back and said he refused unless I went to see him. He wanted to talk to me in person about it. I explained I didn't want to do this over the phone, they had cancelled my appointment and were the ones not rescheduling. The nurse said, well we will see you when you do get in.

So I am being punished, because they cancelled the appointment, won't make me another one, and he won't okay it till I see him, which could be 2-3 more months, as they never have cancellations, and if it's last minute, I have no way to go as I am not allowed to drive.

Can someone explain the reasoning here to me, because I have to go lie down. I'm afraid I am going to have to break several things as opposed to trying to protect myself, to get some help here....not happymorgan (not on purpose either)

Hey morgan,

Your PCP's office sounds annoying to say the least. I can say that I was unable to get a power chair and had to settle for a manual chair. My insurance wanted me to prove that I couldn't handle a manual chair. Now I'm glad I have a manual, power chairs require alot of changes to your house, vehicles etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that roadblocks are to be expected, but don't give up. Keep fighting and you'll get what you need.

Hugs,

Lauren

WOW!! morgan.. that really *****! I'm so sorry that your PCP is giving your the run around.. and I really hope that you dont have to wait 2-3 months to get in.. that is horrible! I know that it is going to take some wrangling with the insurance co> to get them to pay for the power chair.. but my god.. with everything that you are experiencing and going thru.. how can they deny you? with the way insurance co> reps act that they were paying for equipment out of there own pockets!

Hang in there Morgan.. do you have a cardio that you can call about this?

What a bummer. Is there any way to pressure the office into making you an appointment faster because they cancelled you... or any other options for a PCP?

In any event... I hope you can get the help you need. Nina

Hi Morgan, keep calling your PCP's office until they can get you in. The best advice I can give you is to not stop fighting. I fought for months to get insurance and it finally worked out. I def. know how the front desk help at the doctors can be. Who is it that is calling you back the receptionists/front desk help or nurse/dr. If it isnt the nurse/dr request that they call you back and then tell them that you are concerned about falling, etc. I wish you the best of luck! Take care and don't give up!

Jacquie

Morgan, I'm praying they have a cancellation soon and that you can find transportation to the office on short notice. Heck, I'll pay the cab fare for you to get there! I wish you could find a sweet understanding soul that worked at the office and explain your situation so they would get you in.

So sorry to hear this. Please don't break anything you might regret later! Maybe hubs could just buy you a punching bag? :)

P.S. I wrote you a short note in my thread about PACs. Thanks.

Gena

Edited by Gena

ggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :blink: ggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ;) and more ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :angry:

that pretty much sums it up.

can i come roll some folks over for you with my wheels?

it was a different cast of characters & not sure if you remember but i had MAJOR trouble getting my chair so on some level at least can empathize. for me the original prescribing doc then said he couldn't do the more detailed paperwork.

that baffles me though about your PCPs office. this may sound sneaky (i won't tell) & it may not work but what about trying to get a sick visit? aka calling in an telling them something symptom-wise that's super urgent. i'm sure you have something going on that would fit the bill of an acute problem & sometimes the front desk has certain appts allotted to sick appts that they won't give to chronic/follow-up patients. perhaps okay if there were other appts available, but come on.....

other than the appt issue do you still like your doc? i know you really have at times but then have had some doubts too? my memory is failing me. i do remember that he's cute though :) (eh...my memory must work for the "important" things...hehe). if you're having any doubts i'm tempted to say to look elsewhere, at least simultaneously, but i KNOW how much time & energy that takes too. and it won't necessarily be any quicker.

in "theory" it's great that he wants to talk with you face to face...but NOT if you can't get an appt!

so.....all that to say i'm sorry you're having to deal with such a mess. it's hard enough to be at a point of needing a chair, acknowledging it, etc....and then to have such roadblocks. it was just about the end of me :angry:

hang in there,

B) melissa