having mri

morgan617

Went to doctor for thoracic pain. He says I'm not going to be walking much longer because of lumbar stuff, so am getting an mri of lumbar, when it's the thoracic that hurts.

He asked if I had parkinson's due to tremors and twitching and I said no. He said I had no tolerance for pain, but I was not going to be able to walk.

having it next Friday, hopefully not paralyzed by then. He said after he checked my lumbar, he would consider my thoracic. Isn't he kind..... B)

Great balls of Fire morgan...I hope you get some answers SOON after the scan.

And good luck during the scan!! Don't forget to breathe and load up on needed meds for claustrophobia and noise. Both can be rough and I know you can't be looking forward to it.

Sophia

Morgan,

Is there no way to get this nimrod to do both at the same time??????????????????????????????????????

It makes sense to do them at the same time since its the same area. I would push for saving money and you body. I wish I could kick his a** and I don't hesitate with docs. I am keeping you in my thoughts. Miriam

Oy vey... nothing like keeping your local radiologist in business by having extra MRI's that you could have gotten done all at once. File that under: he's so smart, he went to medical school, but has no common sense.

Nina

Guest Finrussak

Hi Morgan

Glad at least he is listening to you BUT maybe another of your Drs even the primary can add to the rx??? serial MRIs ( one after the next) are too often turned down by insurance with the explanation of "they shouldve been done at same time" ( been there). Can you try harder to get both thoracic and lumbars done same time??? I did, thats how they found my dural ectasias ( pouching out of the covering over spine...like aneurisms only instead of in blood vessels its in spinal covering) and they casue pressure on nerves etc. Anyway, Id also explain very stronlgy that due to your other suspected condition ( dysautonomia) that every time you undergo this test its stresses the body putting you at risk!!! Perhaps if he hears what a hardship consecutive "later" MRIs are, he will relent, or another Dr will add it to orders??? You can also try to phone the radiology place and explain your situation and maybe their radiologist can intervene??? I find that a well placed phone call to where the procedure is, requesting them to speak with one of my Drs can fix things...these "nimrods" like to consult with each other more than listen to our needs!!!!

Also by doing this I have had pelvic and abdominal MRIs run at same time, and other combos too!!! Once youre in the darn machine its a matter of another CD ( bring your fav music to pipe in) and a little extra time to re set machine rather than yet another trip and wait and procedure!

Good luck

F.

gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....the logic (or rather lack there of) of some people. i really don't get it. and i'm sorry you're having to deal with it. i know it's not the first time & unfortunately it probably won't be the last (although one can dream?) but i hope you can somehow get some answers in the midst of this numskull. good luck with getting the testing you need done & getting the answers you need. let us know how things go...

:) melissa

Ernie's post just cracked me up! It's so sad but true...medicine is becoming a business...and it is so sad.

But to the point: morgan...i hope you are still walking today??? what a mess. i fail to see the logic.

but, i sort of laughed b/c i literally had just come from a neurosurgeon appt. myself. i had gone in with cervical mris to rule in or out cervical stenosis.

i came out with, guess what? scripts for a THORACIC mri and a brain mri. and NO follow-up appt. despite that i was referred by one of the top POTS docs in the country, this yo-yo from in our podunksville town decided that i had no reason to suspect my cervical spine and needed these other mris.

based on what? he did not exam me, ask me about my pain, family history of cervcial stenosis, symptoms, what i have tried for pain, what happens when i try to do pt, etc.

i feel like i am one handedly draining medical assistance. anyone want to buy some marinol??? ha-ha. i've got 57 pills left.

okay, i've serioulsy got an attitude problem tonight! sorry! it's been a bad week.

keep us posted.

love, em

I actually called my pcp's office to see if he would get the thoracic too and, of course, he is on vacation. My timing is, as ever, perfect.

He wants to rule out stenosis, like it couldn't possibly be in the thoracic region. I am still walking, creeping around like a 90 year old woman, but was like that before he doomed me.

Anyhoo, just wanted you to know I did try it. When they say they need an mri of that area, I'm gonna say, you had your chance buckaroo bozo.....

On a lighter note, I actually went inside a store for the first time since August. Had to leave after a bit, but got some yarn picked out real fast. Hard to believe I have been completely housebound except for doctor's appt for that long. I'm going to get a cane, I am so unsteady. Maybe santahubby will get me one..... :huh:

Hey, I just wanted to wish you luck with your tests and I hope you find out what is going on exactly. I hope you dont have Parkinson's, l ike you already dont have enough to deal with. Take care. You are in my thoughts.

Jacquie

good luck on combining the tests! I bet it was heaven getting to touch and see all the colors and textures of yarn after being housebound. Sometimes I think it should be a requirement that you have a disease or first hand knowledge thereof before you can become a doctor. There are just too many flyboys out there and if you are a gal they just don't treat you the same. best of luck and lets hope for some good news that you have a bad case of familial tremor (not great but inderal really kicks it).:-)