Suppliments

Dizzy Dame

Hi gang,

My doctor reccomended that I start taking Magnesium and B-12 suppliments. He gave me a dropper bottle of liquid B-12 and these sub-linugal (melts under the tongue) Magnesium tablets.

I was wondering if any of you have taken either of these suppliments? What do they do? How do they work? Do they work? Also, how much do you take (just out of curiosity)? Any side affects?

I asked my doc about them and he gave me a very, very brief overview, but I also wanted to hear it from the "horse's mouth" so-to-speak.

Thanks,

Lauren :D

I take 800 mg of magnesium, as magnesium oxide, every morning. It seems to help a little with my fatigue, but the main thing is that it has put an end to a lifelong struggle with slow-transit constipation. My nephrologist was astounded when I told him what dose I was taking. He said, "Aren't you having some, um, intestinal reaction to that?" Apparently, that dose would give a normal person the galloping trots.

My internist says that it's really hard to overdose on magnesium, because if you take too much, you just get diarrhea. He said that if they have to raise someone's magnesium level for some reason, they have to give it to them intravenously.

If you do get diarrhea, it may cause you to lose too much potassium, so be careful about that.

Why B12 supplements? Do you have macrocytic anemia? If so, are you getting other B vitamin supplements, too? What about iron. Don't take iron supplements unless you are positive that you don't have iron-overload disease, which can cause anemia, strangely enough.

Why B12 supplements? Do you have macrocytic anemia? If so, are you getting other B vitamin supplements, too? What about iron. Don't take iron supplements unless you are positive that you don't have iron-overload disease, which can cause anemia, strangely enough.

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure why the B-12. He's a new doctor and says that he typically gives all his POTS patients Magnesium and B-12. I'm not anemic, so I'm not sure why he perscribed the B-12, do you know what it's usually for?

Sorry I sound so confused...

I've been frequenting this forum for a while and I just want to share with you something I recently found out.

As it turns out, in my quest for answers, my doctor had ordered a bunch of bloodwork (something called a paraneoplastic antibody panel, I think) to test for autonimmune disorders. I pushed for this after finding out something on this forum.

I came back with a positive in my blood for myasthenia gravis - another medical condition.

Why am I telling you all this?

Because, I'm just finding out from my new "myasthenia gravis" forum, that for MG patients, Magnesium (in concentrated form) makes them worse.

Now, I had no idea. This is news to me. I had tried Mg supplements at the beginning of my POTS Dx. But I won't be using them now.

I've been getting B-12 shots for almost 10 years. My liver enzymes were off. When I went to Mayo in Jan. we discussed this, levels were still off, but have a "fatty liver". So, I get a rather large injection every momth. The dog gets his heartworm pill and I get B-12...!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep telling my husband not to mix them up.

Magnesium is a different and complicated one I know that with certain medications increasing magnesium helps. Miriam

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/id/1287

This is just one of many sites that try to explain why those of us with CFS can benefit from B12 shots.

Recently, about a month ago I went thru a spell where a shot a week did NOT help me one iota.

So I am going to try an injection now and see if it helps my Menstrual slump.

That is VERY interesting about magnesium being bad for MG!!

6.gif

I take 400-800 mg of magnesium every day to calm my muscles, nerves, anxiety and heart and also for bowel mobility ( I use citrate and oxide forms). B-12 is good for energy if you have fatigue and it's also good if you're experiencing stress. Stress and alchohol among other factors can rob your body of b-vitamins which we need for many things such as proper nerve function and energy.

If you have celiac or gluten intolerance like many of us do here, then b-12 deficiency can be a common problem especially if you don't follow a strict gluten free diet.

Good luck and I hope they make you feel better. :lol:

Gena

Thanks so much guys... you know, after listening to you, and doing a little research on my own, I think I'm going to wait to take these suppliments until I go to Vandy in late December. I'm new in my diagnosis (they don't even know what's causing my POTS yet) and wouldn't want to upset the already very delicate balance my body has between sick and deathly ill.

And wow, I wasn't aware that Magnesium could make MG worse... good to know :lol:

Hi All,

Magnesium as a supplement is great for nerve support and smooth muscles opperation. It helps to in the operation of , motor unit function(nerve to muscle/connectivetissue messaging ) as well as calcium absorption. It is recomended for blood pressure and tremor due to these aspects. I use it in combination with Creatine and a compliment of B vitamins Calcium, Potassium as well as Essential Fatty Acids , in support of these conditions. I hope this Helps a bit.

Kite 7