Asthma/arrythmia,tachy POTS

pamela

:) Help Needed! I am asthmatic and have had a chest cold and sinus infection for three weeks. When I was originall prescribed my Nadolol by My Neuro Doc my Asthma was under control. Now due to recent illness and the season where my Asthma is always worse the Nsadolol is making me choke, cough, wheeze, hoarse, and have so much junk in my lungs that I can'y expel it all. I get a little relief from my rescue inhalers and Nebulizer but they make my pulse go way up. Any one out there been through this? I take the Nadolol 10 mg twice a day or 20mg daily Am I am still trying to figure out whats best since my las Holter showed me Tachy at night whhile sleeping. I have POTS, w/NCS and pass out here lately more than I have since diagnosis in MAy. Sorry so long Pamela

Oh I have a doc appt tommorow to discuss this so help is needed soon

Pam,

As I understand it from my allergist, not all beta blockers are created equal as far as asthama goes. Some may be worse for asthma than others.

I have both asthma and pots and I work with an allergist I see at least 2 times a year as well as my regular doctor and a POTS doctor. Over a period of a few years, the allergist now has me on a maintaniance program that works preventatively year round. I never stop my allergy meds. I have friends who only want to take allergy meds when they are having symptoms. I have learned from this allergist to get on a good allergy prevention program and stay there. I also take a beta blocker for my POTS symptoms.

It may take you a bit of experimentation tow ork out the best program for you but it can be done. Calcium channel blockers did not help my POTS.

Ask your doctor what can be done about all that junk in your lungs. I just read a post on another list from someone who has chronic phlem and mucas in the lungs due to GERD. He takes something daily that helps him a lot--guavasin? I think he takes a mucas thinner.

Thanks everyone for replying. My pulmonologist put me on a great medication for the mucus that is a inhaler called Spiriva. A lot of people with Emphysemia (spellling?) take it, and I have Rhinocourt and Allegra D. The Allegra D has pseudephederine in it so the hospitad swithched me to Claritan. I still have my Albeuterol and nebulizer but they make my Heartbeat skippy and tachy. So I try to stay away from anything that triggers my Asthma. However, once I get a cold it takes forever to get my lungs clear. I always end up on Zythromiacin at least twice during the cold weather months.

I hope my doc has done some more research on the meds since I spoke with the nurse Monday. He seems to wait to look into treatments until I am right there with him. THat is why I gather as much info as possible before I get to the appts.

THanks again!

Hi Pamela

I have asthma and was told that Propranolol was okay for asthma sufferers where most other betablockers were not. Also it is short acting- you have to take it 3 times daily which is a bit of a pain but if you get an infection or your asthma plays up you can come off it within 12 hours.

Good luck, hope feel better quickely

Katie

Well I am back from the Dr's and on bed rest . Chest X rays showed left and right side pneumonias and bronchitis. So we added some meds, Z-pack,Tesslon capsules for the day cough and tussinex/codeine cough syrup (Yuck) for the night time. We stopped th Nadolol and started Coreg once a day small dose and Digitek to decrease the tachy and arrythmias and the fuid that I have built up in my body and around my heart and lungs. If I notice any bad changes in the way I feel its off to the hospital for a couple of days.

I did find out that my sugar was high even though I have been craving food and sweets, and thirsty. THe Beta blockers are to blame for the weight gain of 8lbs in 2 weeks and for the big bruises I keep getting. Oh well! At least I am home. I just found out that one of my Aunts that I have'nt seen in years has double pneumonia and is the ICU in my home town. I don't get to see her unless she gets worse. Illness is the pits. THank you all for your help and for listening.

Pam

P.S. Don't laugh, but how do you put all that info at the bottom of your posts? Its your meds and conditions. I can't figure it out.

Hi Pam,

i don't have asthma so i can't really help you wioth that but sorry to hear you've got broncitis, get well soon love, that's not very nice illness.

about the bit at the bottom if you go to my Controls at the top of the page you can add a signature there.

hope that helps

love becky x x x

Thank you Becky. I thought signature ment, you know to sign you name or such. Can I blame this on POTS? I feel really silly. THe cough med with codeine is working very well and I amm off to get some sleep until one of the living creatures in my house wake up tp POtty.

Thanks for the help

Pamela

Pamela, my doctor has had me on the following daily regimen for asthma for the past 4 or 5 years:

Advair

Flonase

Zyrtec

Singulair

Benedryl at night

Neil Med's Sinus Rinse system

When things get bad, I also take guafinessen (sp?) which is now otc and called "mucinex". It makes mucous thinner so you can cough it out. As a last resort, if I'm nebulizing with my emergency albuterol and still not able to expell the junk, they've put me on asteline, which also helps loosen stuff up--it's not used often as it has it's own side effects, but there have been a few episodes of pneumonia where the asteline is what helped me get better.

Nina

MM,

That is similar to my old regiment. The advair was O>K> but after years of using it , the medicine became less affective and using the Flonase made my nose to dry and gave me nose bleeds. I use the saline rinse and sometimes a little jell is my nose is to dry . Benadryl knocks me on my butt for about 12 hrs even at 15mg. The advair also made me hoarse even if I brushed and gargled salt water. The Spiriva is expensive but very effective against infections because it opens up the lungs all day. Unfortunetly I was off of it for 2mos because it is a steroid and I was recoverinf from a bacteriel tummy infection after my upper GI and lower GI scope. I feel pretty good right now and I am not as run down feeling as before. I actually made it alll the way around the mall without sitting down yesturday. THe Nadolol was making me tired but the Digitek and Cored combo seem to have stabilized my irregular heartbeat. Plus my BP is not dropping to bad. THis Am it was 102/73 with my pulse at 76 before getting out of bed.

So I think I may have found some relief.

Pam