GGRRRRRRRRRR!

dizzygirl

Hi all...

I am so frustrated and mad at the moment!! Well I went to walmart today to get afew things before I leave for Toledo.. and I was feeling quite potsy and sick feeling.. (it is very hot here today.. and humid too)

So I thought that I will use one of those power chair things with the basket on them.. to avoid syncope and to be able to get in and out.. well my boyfriend and I walked in.. and asked for a chair.. and the Old man greeter said "well she looks fine to me.. I dont think she needs a chair.. we need to save the chairs for the people who really need them.."

:) OHHHHHH!! I was allready cranky as my period and pots is knocking me through a loop today.. I started to say something to the man.. and then I bit my tongue and kept my mouth shut.. b/c I feel had I started talking to this man that I would have really yelled at him.. and that never solves any thing..

So I grabbed a cart and walked away.. meanwhile my Boyfriend is standing there trying to tell the man that I need to use a chair ... and he is babbling on about my legs... and i can here the greeter saying well if she is having that much of a problem the n I suppose I canlet her use a chair.."

OMG!!

a few minutes later my boyfriend walks over to me.. and I said you know.. you dont have to stand there and give the guy an explaination.. a simple may I please have a chair will do."

I know that it not a real big deal.. but it just bothered me.. and I have never asked to use a chair before.. and I was feeling pretty crappy...I didnt think that it would be a problem!!

People are just ignorant. and insenstive.. and I hate that people are so discriminating!! and judgemental...

So anyways I just needed to vent.. as this particular incident just rubbed me the wrong way..

I have to go get MRI's done of my knee's and ankles tonight.. oh boy..

averyannoyeddizzygirl!

;)

Sorry you had a bad time at Walmart! ;) I think it stucks how many people know nothing about POTS, and that fact that people need to see somtime wrong with someone to think they are sick. It's really too bad. But I guess we are the lucky ones as we at least know the other side and can me nice to others.

Hope you day gets better, hope everything goes well with your MRI!

Amy

I had a similar experience yesterday at walmart!! I went in and asked for a wheelchair and the greeter said "you can sit in it for now, but if someone disabled comes in, they'll need it." I looked at him, looked at my cane, smiled and simply said "I am disabled" and motioned my head at my cane.

The guy was really apologetic, and said that he didn't see the cane, and thought I just wanted to sit in the wheelchair.

I suppose we should take it as a compliment (however annoying it is) when people don't instantly recognize we're disabled. At least I don't look as sick as I feel ;) .

Sorry the guy at your walmart was such a troglodyte, and feel better.

- Lauren

Yep, the elderly oftentimes have a hard time seeing our disability don't they? I've found that I simply state that I have a heart problem and people (of all ages) will go out of their way to help. People usually don't mean to be insensitive, even our wonderful Wal-Mart greeters!

Carmen

You're a very kind-hearted person not to yell at that man, but he deserves an education in that there are many forms of disability, some which may not be physically recognizable. Maybe you should write a letter to the manager and share your experience so that it doesn't happen to someone else or YOU on your next visit. Maybe, then, he'll have the chair ready for you when he sees you coming. I'm sorry you experienced this. I hope tomorrow is better.

Melly

Hi folks!

I appreciate the support... and I think that I am going to write a letter to the Walmart distric manager.. just so that they are aware..

I usually like walmart.. and I by no means mean to bash wally world.. but that dudes behavior was out of line!

Hi folks!

I appreciate the support... and I think that I am going to write a letter to the Walmart distric manager.. just so that they are aware..

I usually like walmart.. and I by no means mean to bash wally world.. but that dudes behavior was out of line!

I have learned to 1) ALWAYS carry a cane. If that isn't enough I will #2) Pull the collar of my shirt over and ssay, " I have a heart problem and my pacemaker isn't helping!".

Yep, you need to write the district manager. I often go into wal-mart and there isn't enough wheelchairs or carts

Also, when my Mom had just had surgery and she was weak, you couldn't see anything unusual. We used the wheelchairs everywhere we went. She is obviously older, of course.

What I am trying to say is, what if you had been recovering from surgery? That's an invisible infirmity, but an infirmity nonetheless. The Walmart person just needs education, that's all.

Sorry to hear about your walmart experience...oh the joy of hidden disability. I have used those chairs when i have gone there at times. Several after my surgeries and sometimes also when i am syncopal. alot of the employees at the walmart here are chatty and no i am disabled and inquired after my surgeries, so i guess now when i go there they are helpful...some are even so wonderful they remember me and ask how i have been doing and tell me to let someone know if i need any help. But geez that would have really angered me!

I hate wal-mart too. I blame Wal-mart for my Pots. I was feeling just fine and dandy and then went to Wal-mart to buy a snow shovel and BAM! POTS! I still really think that it was their germy carts or something. After that, I can't stand to be there- too much stuff- too many people who bring 5 generations of their family to help them pick out toilet paper-too many of those anoying smiley face signs.

My heart belongs to Target. I still stand in the aisle for an hour and can't decide what to buy, and the longer I stand the less blood gets to my brain and then suddenly I find myself seriously considering a massive candle purchase when I just went in to get squash or something. We call it a Pots-out. My mother makes me call her whenever I go to Target and then she will call me back 15 minutes later, ask me where I'm at and then say- Walk Away! Go get the squash.

You guys must have the same thing happen.

Oh yeeeees, I know what you mean kitsakatsa. That is so funny. The longer I stand to try to decide what to buy, the harder it gets to make a decision. I am trying to learn NOT to buy anything when I get that brain fog. I too must just walk away!

I have found that the secret to getting help anywhere, including Walmart is to bring my seat cane everywhere. It lets others know that something is wrong, and serves as a handy seat just in case. It is too bad that people are so ignorant.

I really hope you do write that letter to Walmart. It could help others too. I hate having to feel like I have to explain my illness to get any help. The seat cane is my ticket to help without glares, and stares.

I try to avoid buying a lot at Walmart because I have had to wait forever for someone to help me to my car to unload my items for me. My local grocery now usually unloads my grocery cart for me onto the conveyor belt without me asking, takes the cart to the car and unloads it. Their attitude is great now that they see my cane!

Walmart has helped the hurricane Katrina victims well though. My parents and brother were devistated by the hurricane and Walmart was right there helping. The Red Cross by the way was worthless according to all my family down south.

I know you all know that this lack of compassion thing has nothing to do with Walmart, but rather society at large.

Karyn

Sorry to hear about the rude incounter at Wal MArt. You did the right thing to walk away when you got sngry and your husband was very considerate to explain to the butthead that you were sick and deserving of their kindness in letting you (the money spender who is paying his check), borrow the motorized cart, so that you may shop at their store. Go to Target for better service and quality. Your lucky to have such a patient spouse. I think my husband (mom and dad too) would have told the guy off and took the cart. THen found a manager and complained.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one suffering from shopping brain fog. I know why I went to the store...but don't I also need...? OoH this is a neccessity..?

Shoes anyone? Right now I need flat shoes for Church, heels just make the POT's risk of a fall so much more dangerous especially whin your dizzy from trying to sing. But the new heels look so nice and the boots....

Last month I came home with 3 new Bras and blamed my POTS, I needed something to wear when I had to wear a Holter Monitor, that did not have any metal. But I also needed a new Bra because the dog ate one. Well I got to dizzy to try them all on and just grabed three that looked right and payed for them. My husband said that he has to go with me when I shop or I will but the whole store because I can't remember what I don't need, and can't make up my mind on what I do need. HA HA

Oh you guys are too funny!!

I used to be able to wear shoes with heals... but not no more!!

stictly flat shoes for me.. orno shoes at all..(LOL! that is what I would preferr!!

and warm ThicK fuzzy slippers!

hiya, sorry dizzygirl this thread is making me laugh, not about the wheelchairs that was disgusting i would have thrown a tantrum and stood on his toes or some thing!!

but about walmart, over here walmart took over asda and near my house we have this hugmongus (sp?) 24 hour store that i can't go to cos it's always too hot, it's far to big so i don't even get half way round and i fall down and if i do get the whole way round i find that i'm so shaky and potsy that i have put stuff i just won't ever eat in a million years in the trolley. and there is never any wheelchairs left by the time i get there!

anyway next time you tell the dumb*** that it's none of his business what's wrong with you! sorry, little bit aggressive today, too much caffine!