mothers and daughters

sallyann

hi

i am sure this question has probably been asked before, but how many of you share dysautonomia with your mother or daughter?i find it so weird that my daughter and myself both suffer from this , we both also had bells palsey.how strange is that?

sallyann

hi sally ann..

i have never had bellspalsey..

but i have pots.. and my mom and i are pretty sure that she has pots as well..or some type of dysautonomia.. I feel really bad for my mom..she does not have health insurance to go get checked over..

gotta love those employers who dont offer insurance to full time employees! freakin' cheapskates!

sorry i rambled a bit there..but yes..we both have dysautonomia..really makes me wonder about that genetic componet.. if there is a gentetic link in some families..I will try and find some info on it..

Hi!

We think my mum had some ANS dysfunction symptoms as my dad says she used to get dizzy standing up (sadly she died when I was 7 so I don't know any more).

Interestingly , her sister, my aunt is also a patient of Prof Mathias and was diagnosed with pure autonomic failure ten years ago.

The genetic link is very interesting and something I know is being researched.

Catherine

I wondered this too. My mom had the same thing when she was in her late twenties, but never got diagnoised and was told to get over it and get on with life. That sounds familiar. My grandma had a bout with it when she was in her late teens early twenties but she was told the same thing, so when I got it she didn't think of saying anything, that is until she passed out during Christmas dinner and promptly said "oh I used to do this all the time". Yeah thanks for telling me now. She also stated that her mother had a problem like this when she was the same age, but they attributed it to the weather and looked at her like she was a weak individual. So that is about all I know on our part of the family. Makes me uneasy about having kids, but now I know what the prob is, I can make sure they dont have to go through the stuff my great-grandmother, grandmother, mother and myself had to.

Shelby

My mom has a milder case of Dysautonomia/NCS. One of my mom's sisters suffers tachycardia and has had 2 ablations and is looking to possibly have another. One of my mom's sisters kids developed tachycardia during her first pregnancy and hasn't searched for a diagnosis but just takes a beta blocker. And now looking back on it they think that these are the same symptoms that their mom suffered from.

I don't think any of us have ever had bell's palsey though.

Gotta love genetics :P

No one else has Dysautonomia in our family (and let's just say, I have 40 first cousins on my Dad's side!)...

But, my POTS doc does believe that my POTS may be caused by cervical stenosis. My mom's entire side of the family has this...my mom, her brother (her only sibling) and her mother. Both my grandmother and uncle had surgeries for theirs. My mom's is pretty severe also.

None of them had POTS thought.

I'm just the lucky one I guess. :P

Emily

In our case its more like brothers and sons.

My husband has NCS and his twin brother has much worse and uncontrolled symptoms but no diagnosis yet. Just last week, my 19 year old stepson fainted for the first time so now he is going through cardio testing to rule out the more standard symptoms. Of course even our own family is not pursuing dysautonomia - my husband and I keep trying to provide the information but nobody listens.

thank you all for your replies.the reason i posted the question in the first place is i believe my father also had something to do with dysautonomia,he would pass out often.and of course me and my daughter having been dx .it really does seem as though there is a genetic factor here , ihope someday they find the gene and we can all be cured.thats not tooo much to ask is it?? sallyann