Infection increasing your Tachycardia Poll?

Infection increasing your Tachycardia?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Over the decade I have had Dysautonomias I have always had at least a 30 beats increase in my heart rate and I have never once seen a study about it.  I have Sjogren’s Syndrome but it is believed I also have Mitochondrial Disease. Around 38% of Mito patients have an autoimmune disease so it is not that uncommon and over 60% have dysautonomia. If you look at MitoAction website they doctors talk how their Mito Patients react to infections and their dysautonomia symptoms. It is common for Mito Patients to have a Systematic Inflammatory Response to infections where their heart rate and blood pressure either increase or decrease. Also they talk about how dysautonomia impairs being able to get an accurate body temperature. I almost never have a high temperature even with my worst proven infections.

Another thing that is not talked about as much as it should be is baseline temperature readings in various dysautonomias especially with autonomic neuropathy. I believe many of us have lower baseline temperatures and we do not present with high fevers when we should and infection diagnosis is being delayed.  At least that happens with me and I have seen it discussed in other illnesses where they have dysautonomia.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:42 AM, RecipeForDisaster said:

Absolutely. My temp is 97.2 or even lower at baseline, and I feel extremely feverish and flushed at 99. But it's always dismissed as "normal" when I'm sick. Then how is 97.2 normal?

You mean 99 is being dismissed as normal?

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the Mitochondrial medical community is way ahead of the general Dysautonomia community in Dysautonomia research. Dysautonomia plays a major role in Mitochondrial Disease. It affect as much as 50% of patients even though there are over a hundred types of Mitochondrial disease. So they see a lot of patients with dysautonomia symptoms. Mito people also have a lot of immune problems both autoimmune and immune deficiency. The later causes them to get infections. So Mito doctors see their dysautonomia Mito Patients get infections and they see their responses to it. They also see their response to treatments. There is a lot to be learned from their Mito dysautonomia infection observations. For example they notice that because of dysautonomia their baseline body temperature is usually lower and also harder to read than general population. They also see that they get a SIRS which is Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome that among other things affects heart rate and blood pressure.  They also use IVIG in many immune deficiency Mito patients with dysautonomia and they note that they need special care during infusions and usually recommend subcutaneous instead of IV style IG. 

After nearly a decade since I have been diagnosed with many Dysautonomias it is frustrating to see the best research for dysautonomia is coming from a small rare disease community like Mito and it is anecdotal in most cases. I know that the reason is because we still have a tremendous lack of awareness in the medical community about dysautonomia, who think it is a rare illness and nothing serious. It is took difficult, I guess, for these large Autonomic labs to observe things like infections in dysautonomia because people are not local to the clinics so if they end up in the hospital it’s local and not getting reported or handled by the clinics. A lot of Mito patients will move close to the clinics so maybe that accounts for the better observations. It is still frustration nonetheless because many dysautonomia patients symptoms start out from infections so you think by now there would be more research into that..

When I am sick with a cold/flu I have noticed a considerable increase in my resting heart rate, as much as 20-30bpm

I think it is mediated by withdrawal of the PNS (as opposed to via the SNS), as last time I was sick, and on a beta blocker, I still had the increased heart rate (If I remember right)