adrenalin and anxiety

Chiara

Hello I have Hyperpots and I would like to understand better how hyperpots develops anxious and how to face them. I'm not really a scared person, but when the adrenaline gets too high, I get very restless, insecure and anxious. After an infusion, I am then again very calm, relaxed and full energy and joy. I have the impression that I can not act psychologically on this kind of anxiety ... What can I do by myself in this situations to handle the adrenalin anxiety?

Do you have something to take that soothes you? It could be medicine like diazepam or perhaps just a cup of herb tea and rocking in a rocking chair, maybe listening to your favorite music or writing poetry to take out some of the anxiety with you pen. I am sorry you are going through this. I hate these surges and usually wind up doing any of the things I've written or I watch videos of puppies and kittens and other baby animals, etc. I have found I have less of these surges if I walk regularly. Each night I do a few blocks--it calms my head and my body. And the fresh air and getting out of the house help as well. Keep a diary of your attacks, write down what happened that day. You may begin to see a pattern of triggers or not. Bring the diary to your next doctor appointment and show what you've notated. Doctors are keen on note takers. You can reduce these attacks but you have to pay attention to reducing triggers.  I hope you can get over these episodes quickly.

I have found that going for a short, quick run every evening has really helped with adrenaline rushes. It feels like I use up the extra adrenaline this way, so I get less rushes especially during the night. I know I am lucky to be able to exercise like this. 

@Magalot - that is interesting about the run. Someone once mentioned to me that a quick run might help with the excess adrenaline - except that I can barely walk, so in my case that is out of the question. But maybe worth giving a try for people that have less OI and exercise intolerance.

@Chiara -  I too have hyperadrenergic POTS and am very familiar with the anxiety and restlessness caused by excess adrenaline. I used to get autonomic seizures from them - that is how high my adrenaline went. Like you I have improved from meds and IV fluid therapy. I have learned that - in my case - the only way to get a handle on these surges is to limit my activity. If I do any chores - even TV - I follow up with rest, that usually brings my levels down IF I DO THIS BEFORE it starts!! Once the anxiety starts it is hard to fight. Withdrawing from any stimulation helps sometimes, since the adrenaline is in response to overstimulation ( physical or mental ). It is like trying to do a U-turn in an ocean liner!!!  --- I have found that the best way to deal with the high adrenaline is PREVENTION!!! I am disabled and mostly housebound, so as soon as I can tell the restlessness is starting I retreat and rest until I feel better. It is essential that we learn to listen to our bodies and react to the clues. Be well!!!!

9 hours ago, Magalot said:

I have found that going for a short, quick run every evening has really helped with adrenaline rushes. It feels like I use up the extra adrenaline this way, so I get less rushes especially during the night. I know I am lucky to be able to exercise like this. 

I just got back from PT. Not only does the exercise make you calmer but I've found that when I shower afterwards I am less likely to faint in my shower. I do believe the innervation is what the deciding factor is--I am just better oxygenated and stronger to withstand the sensations and not collapse from the steam and heat in the shower. It's happened a lot more than once. I am really sold on exercises being a major management tool for dysautonomia. All my doctors have told me they will keep me in PT for as long as I need and that's forever. Cool beans. 

My cardiologist has said that anxiety comes from the nervous system so it is normal for me to feel as anxious as I do since I have a dysfunctional nervous system. I take clonazepam for my anxiety and attacks and it has saved me. I was so against medications and tried almost everything natural to calm my anxiety but I finally caved and it has given me some of my life back. 

Guest KiminOrlando

How do you get prescribed diazepam? They treat it like morphine down here. You can't have it. At least, I can't get it. I have had to cxl MRIs because they wouldn't let me have one. I am hyperpots and all the noise and closeness of an MRI sets me off. 

Guest KiminOrlando

They haven't given me anything. I am going to talk about this at my next doctor visit. I would probably only take it at night because that is my worst time unless something out of the ordinary happens during the day. I purposely lead a low-stimulus lifestyle. Anything else is exhausting. 

9 hours ago, KiminOrlando said:

How do you get prescribed diazepam? They treat it like morphine down here. You can't have it. At least, I can't get it. I have had to cxl MRIs because they wouldn't let me have one. I am hyperpots and all the noise and closeness of an MRI sets me off. 

Yes, it is difficult to get in the UK as well. It has a bad rap because of abuse by a small minority of patients & recreational users, which is a great pity. I had a good cardiologist request my GP to prescribe it after I was ending up in A&E with dangerously high BPs & tachy. 

You may need to see a psychiatrist to get a regular prescription. I know and you know, and they will also know, that you are not mental, but they are very familiar with prescribing meds that act on the autonomic nervous system, often more so than neurologists/cardiologists. If that's what you need to do, just bite the bullet & go because there are so few things that help & it is good to have a tool you can use when needed.

B xxx

I take Xanax prescribed by my psychiatrist. Cold air keeps me calm as well. Playing video games.  Staying away from lights and sounds help me too. Sometimes my cat helps. Sometimes nothing works and I just lay in the dark with fans on. I started taking lower temp showers. 

When I go out in public is when I really battle with it. Like to a doctor's appointment. My adrenaline runs so high for so long, when I get home I crash and fall asleep.

It's really miserable.

@Derek1987 - same here, when I have to go to an appointment I am done for 2-3 days afterwards. It does not help that I live 1 hour away from the NEAREST doctor, so the drive ( I don't drive due to seizures, my husband chauffeurs me ) alone is enough for me. Once we are in town my husband gets the groceries but I have to stay in the car b/c I don't have the energy to do anything other than see the doc.