Best Diet for Dysautonomia

John316

In my case it is 6-7 small "meals" - or snacks - a day, avoid high carbs, push protein … I have to avoid fresh veggies and fruit due to GERD and IC from POTS. Lots of fluids with meals and rest after. I have found that spicy foods help with POTS symptoms but have to be careful due to the GERD, IBS and IC. I believe that fiber is important for people who have problems with IBSC. 

The most important dietary change for me was added salt and fluids.  When I was very sick with POTS I found I did better with small meals especially in the early part of the day.  In general I think low sugar makes a difference for me too but not as significantly as increased fluid and salt.

I would add that iron deficiency can exacerbate POTS so making sure your diet is sufficient with iron would be important.  May not be an issue if you are eating meat.  I am a vegetarian and have a little trouble keeping iron levels normal so I take a supplement typically.

If B12 is low, that would be important to correct, as low B12 is implicated in causing or exacerbating POTS--it did for me.

I would like to add that I do eat meat but was deficient in Vit B12, Vit D and Ferritin ( stored iron ), and supplementing those helped a lot with some of the POTS symptoms. 

I find that eating lots of veggies, proteins like lean meat, eggs, yoghurt etc, and complex carbs, works well for me. With that said, I eat a fairly varied diet and it doesn't feel monotonous at all. 

Lots of fluid and salt. 

No caffeine (this triggers me quite badly) and minimal refined sugar. 

I was vegetarian for several years, but that made me worse actually. 

My cardiologist doesn't want me on supplements, I have to get everything I need from the food I eat and drink. Initially, while I was learning, I used WW online because it has always been geared towards learning nutrition. I thought would be a while before I started to feel better but it was within a couple of days. Eating a balanced diet, which was an upgrade in the amount of fruit and veggies I eat, made a huge difference in my energy, my eyes look brighter and my skin has some more color. I don't have huge bags under my eyes anymore because a better diet seems to help me sleep better too.  I always eat food with electrolytes each day and I don't forget to drink milk or eat cereal and milk. Milk is loaded with electrolytes--if you can't digest cow milk then the nut milks are just as good for that. https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-nutrition/electrolytes-food

I have to watch my diet because of migraines, interstitial cystitis, IBD, & allergies.  There's not much left I can eat & it's mostly things that are not healthy like white bread & rice.  Everything I can eat is not good for me.  I get to craving a raw salad.  I've learned not to worry about it.

I hate the fact that POTS took away my appetite & the ability to shop & cook, my diet really went downhill compared to when I was healthy. What I can say is I really love my Nutribullet, it is a quick and easy way to get in a bunch of fruit, veggies & some forms of protein, without actually eating them. 

B xxx