Can we get a chatroom?

Derek1987

40 minutes ago, WinterSown said:

You can PM each other through the DINET messaging system.

Yes I use that function as well. I was just saying a chatroom for conversation in real time if people wanted to. between groups. It was just an idea. If nobody sees the need for it, then that is fine as well.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on a chat room.  If members would like an avenue to have real time discussions about any topic, then DINET might consider adding a private group to our Facebook page for that purpose.  

The purpose of the forum is to share information between members.  We do have PM (private messaging) here on the forum for discussions that people want to be private, so the only purpose to adding chat would be so that people didn't have to wait for a response to their topic, assuming others are available in real time to respond.  The downside is that it would eliminate our ability to moderate, so it would take away the protection that we now offer members - protection from solicitation, potentially dangerous medical advice,  promotion of non-evidence based information, etc.   As an organization there is potential liability that we have to take into consideration, but it is also an important part of DINET's mission that members/users are provided with evidence-based information, and are not subject to advertising.  It's also important to us that communications between members on our site are supportive and kind, especially because many members seeking information and support on the forum are quite unwell and struggling with diagnosis, treatment, etc.   For these reasons, moderated public discussion on this site is important to us.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:46 PM, Hutch said:

I agree. Also is it possible to make  a new post from a cell phone? I can reply on mine. but can’t figure  how to make a new post on cell phone but can on a computer. 

If you are on the topic listing page, at the top there is a start a new topic button. I only ever use my cell phone. I just pop open my browser whenever I have some free time. 

5 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

If you are on the topic listing page, at the top there is a start a new topic button. I only ever use my cell phone. I just pop open my browser whenever I have some free time. 

Thank you.. I can’t believe as many times iv looked I couldn’t figure it out. lol