How much Salt is enough?

Lainy

I've been advised to increase my salt intake and over the past couple months I've definitely added more to my diet but my doctors don't quite seem comfortable telling me just how much I should be getting. Have your doctors ever given you a number to work towards or is it a guessing game? 

Also - what are your favorite salt sources? 

I was advised to take at least 2 gm of salt in tablets but could not tolerate them ( vomiting ). I eat pretzels, olives, even a slice of bread with heavy salt on it. Broth helps too. 

Last summer one of my doctors tried me on Thermotabs. After a month of them killing off my stomach biota my cardiologist took me off all supplements. I now get all my nutrients through the foods I eat and drink. Tonight we had takeout, I just finished a pint of wonton soup--yum. There are many salty food choices but they often can contain high fats--like bags of chips or ramen. If you need to watch your calories some of the saltier snacks may not be appropriate.

This is a nice list of sodium rich foods--it is meant for the must-avoid-crowd and not us, lol. 

21 minutes ago, WinterSown said:

Last summer one of my doctors tried me on Thermotabs. After a month of them killing off my stomach biota my cardiologist took me off all supplements. I now get all my nutrients through the foods I eat and drink. Tonight we had takeout, I just finished a pint of wonton soup--yum. There are many salty food choices but they often can contain high fats--like bags of chips or ramen. If you need to watch your calories some of the saltier snacks may not be appropriate.

This is a nice list of sodium rich foods--it is meant for the must-avoid-crowd and not us, lol. 

I'm totally okay with high fat/calorie foods, actually. Part of my recovery plan is gaining 15-25lbs since my cardiologist classified me as 'cachectic'/severely underweight. I'm with you on the stomach sensitivity so I'm trying to get what I need through food and drinks. I'm just not sure I'm getting enough. 

One of my favorites is V8 that I add extra salt to. (not great for the weight gain goal but it helps my energy level) Thanks for that list, I never thought to go after lists that are for others to avoid!

1 hour ago, Lainy said:

I'm totally okay with high fat/calorie foods, actually. Part of my recovery plan is gaining 15-25lbs since my cardiologist classified me as 'cachectic'/severely underweight. I'm with you on the stomach sensitivity so I'm trying to get what I need through food and drinks. I'm just not sure I'm getting enough. 

One of my favorites is V8 that I add extra salt to. (not great for the weight gain goal but it helps my energy level) Thanks for that list, I never thought to go after lists that are for others to avoid!

V8. Yum. Especially with a dash of worcestershire, a jigger of something potent, and a stalk celery--and celery has sodium. With dysautonomia there is always exhaustion right around the corner. I use a lot of shortcuts in the kitchen. The packages of noodle and rice mixes are very quick to prepare, can be tweaked with some veggies and/or meats, and are loaded with sodium and make for a fast quickie meal. Cold Cuts from the deli are also sodium heavy--make yourself a sammich, a bag of fritos and a pickle on the side, and wash it down with a mug of tomato soup. You're good to go! If you want to try something healthier, which I like and helps too, I make a large glass of water and squeeze a juice orange into it, the orange is rich in electrolytes. Good stuff too.

45 minutes ago, GasconAlex said:

Always can go for Marmite spread  (Vegemite if you are antipodean) which has a huge amount of salt in it. Unfortunately lots of people hate it and it is a bit limited in many countries, but almost a salt spread for bread / toast.

I remember taking tabs of brewer's yeast along with my daily vitamins when I was younger. Marmite is very healthy for you, it's got a lot of B12, it is basically a yeast spread loaded with nutrients and salt. I just checked, they do sell it at Amazon, and I think I've seen it at some better stocked supermarkets in their international aisle.  https://www.livestrong.com/article/357418-marmite-nutrition-information/

The problem with Marmite is that even thr manufacturer knows that 50% of people will hate it hence their love it or hate it advertising campains😁

Can't beat a bit of marmite with salted butter on granary toast😁

I have found SIS GoHydro tablets have a good effect which I assume is due to their electrolyte content. I know some triatheletes that use them too.

I really pushed my EP to give me a better guideline than just "eat more salt." For me, I was advised to consume 4-6 grams per day. I don't do the salt tabs as I've heard too much negativity regarding stomach problems with those, so I drink a lot of V8 juice with added salt, vegetables with tamari or coconut aminos, broth, etc. 

I try to get at least 2.5 grams by lunchtime or else I have a tough time getting it all in. Between the salt and the water, many days I feel like I'm busting at the seams 🤢

Everyone is very different - it depends on what your BP and blood volume arei, how much you want to raise them and your height, weight, gender, etc.  I've heard 3-5g is recommended for the average patient.  The best thing is to slowly try adding saltier foods to your diet, keep track of it and if your BP is still low add more.  Remember that salt is different than sodium (which is a component of salt) and most foods list sodium content, not salt.  I've found that drinking 2 giant cups of broth - one in the morning and one at night boosts my BP and then I can eat normally.  Also remember to drink lots of water otherwise the salt won't help.

31 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

My neurologist in Boston just told me >15gm salt. I was surprised. I adore and crave salt, I'll even lap up plain old sea salt, but even I think that's a lot. I balance it with fluids, and I love to drink broth too,

A liter of normal saline has 9gm in it! I guess I got enough the other day when I got 1500mL.

I'm the same way. I really crave salt and I will straight up eat it (even before dr told me to get more in my diet lol) I like the pink himalayan salt best and then I follow it with a bottle of water.