Just spent 5 days in Hospital

Hi everyone,

Did you miss me? Well, it hasn't really been long enough for you to notice I was gone, but it feels like it's been months to me.

I just got home from 5 days in the hospital. I woke up Tues eve with bad stomach cramps and by early morning we headed to the ER. A CAT scan showed a probable bowel blockage, so they immediately admitted me. I had barium tests of the stomach and small bowels and they concluded that it was a partial blockage possibly due to past abdomial surgeries. But in the meantime, the nausea and stomach pains I'd been having the past 6 weeks were addressed and I now know I do have delayed gastric emptying. So I am home, on a careful diet to get it back in control and on reglan and levisn as needed.

I was treated sooooo well! I am so impressed with the many different doctors that saw me and their willingness to learn about POTS and dysautomia. Some had a little bit of knowledge and some none at all, but all of them listened to me. I also had a team of interns and I was able to teach them a lot about it as well. I really wished I had info brochures to give them. I keep meaning to make some to take places with me, but I haven't yet.

Anyway, wanted to let all of my friends know where I've been and that I'm home recovering. This forum is so helpful in understanding this.

OH!!!! And get this... I had a OT come in and talk about coping with chronic illness - not real helpful, BUT, they had just prescribed the two meds. I wanted so bad to search the forum to see others expereinces before I tried them. So, he brought in his computer, typed in POTSPLACE and I went onto the forum and read what some of you have said about the two meds. That was soooooo comforting!

Talk to you all later!

Rose -

sorry to hear that you had to hang out in the hospital for 5 days but glad to hear that you had a good visit in terms of how you were treated & getting some answers. i've had some similar admissions/stays this past year in terms of people not having a clue but being willing to listen & learn. i haven't been on levsin so can't comment on that but have been on reglan & some other meds. (i have gastroparesis & delayed GI motility from top to bottom.) i don't at all want to scare you but reglan can bring about some pretty nasty neuro side effects in the long term; it doesn't happen to everyone but is something to be aware of. i started to get them some after about 6 weeks along with some weird other symptoms (for instance i started lactating...very odd & unexpected!). the med was only helping me a bit anyway & my GI wanted to try me on zelnorm which speeds up GI motility as well (it's FDA approved for constipation but tests are in the works for the stomach as well & it has definitely helped my motility overall). now i have the reglan to use on particularly bad days & haven't had any problems with it as a extra boost.

welcome home & back...enjoy being back in your own bed!!

:-)melissa

p.s. that is WAY cool that the OT brought you a computer to use!

Hey,

Actually did notice you were gone, imagined you were taking a few days break from being sick, sorry to hear you were actually in the hospital, but very happy to hear you were treated well. Most of us have had so many bad hospital experiences, it's reassuring to hear about positive ones. Enjoy being back home, will try to PM you tomorrow.

oops, somehow shifted this whole message!

luv, Ariella

Hi,

I'm new and i'm finding it amazing how many of the same symptoms i have to everyone else, this is the first time i've felt normal in ages!

Anyway, what i wanted to say was that last month i had severe stomach pains and diarreoha (sorry my spelling is rubbish!) coupled with constipation a few hours later, i was like this for a week before i called the doctors.

One doctor told me to go to hospital immediately and the other said wait til the morning (it was one in the morning) anyway i waited saw the doctor the next day and was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, anyone else have this?

thanks.

Glad you are on the road to recovery and were well treated. That goes a long way!

I used levsin eons ago when I was a teenager and had a lot of IBS issues going on. Don't remember much about it though.

I have been seeing Zelnorm advertised to now being touted as increasing seretonin in the bowels to help keep it going and stop the cramping and constipation etc. Never thought of bowels using seretonin but I am learning lots along the way.

Hope you are feeling better each day :)

Guest Julia59

Roselover,

It's good to hear of a positive experience in the hospital for a change. I'm also happy to hear they were able help you get some possible relief the slow motility problems you have been having.

I'm sorry that you had to go through this in the first place----but it looks like some good came out of it----- :)

I hope you will feel better soon.

Julie :0)

Hi everyone,

Anyway, wanted to let all of my friends know where I've been and that I'm home recovering. This forum is so helpful in understanding this.

OH!!!! And get this... I had a OT come in and talk about coping with chronic illness - not real helpful, BUT, they had just prescribed the two meds. I wanted so bad to search the forum to see others expereinces before I tried them. So, he brought in his computer, typed in POTSPLACE and I went onto the forum and read what some of you have said about the two meds. That was soooooo comforting!

Talk to you all later!

Hi Roselover,

How refreshing to hear of some Doctors that actually wanted to listen!

Anyway just wanted to let you know that you are more than welcome to have a copy of the booklet that I had to produce regarding my illness which consists of P.O.T.S / V.V.S / M.E and Seizures. I am a senior midwife and face a lot of hassle at work due to my illness and was forced by the occupational health dept to provide information for my colleagues. I therefore produced a little booklet containing information about the various conditions and their effects. The booklet also contains peer reviewed research articles that tend to go down better with the Doctors. However obviously as a health professional I have written it using medical terminlogy so parts may be a bit confusing but at least gains a bit more respect when you hand it to a Doc.

Get in touch if you think it may be of any help.

Take care :)

Welcome back! I was away, so wasn't hanging around to notice you missing :)

However, how encouraging to hear that you had stellar treatment in the hospital. It's so nice to know that some hospitals DO do it right. :)

Nina

Guest Mary from OH

Sorry to hear about your bowel obstruction! Glad to know they caught it in time! They can cause a lot of damage. Reglan is a great med. If you start having neuro side effects, it means your dosage is too high. It is one of the few meds that cross over the blood/brain barrier. Also, Zelnorm is another wonderful med. Sadly, my daughter has been on both (and many others). Hope your up to your "normal self" in no time! It can take quite a while to get back to yourself after an obstruction.

Glad to have you back with us safe and sound!!

I'm feeling a quite a bit better this morning, but last night I thought I might be heading to the ER again! Darn this pain! I seem to alternate between no bowel movement and then - bam... diarreaha (can't spell it :lol: ). Now I have no movement and lots of pain. The Reglan moves things along, the Levisn seems to stop them and of course I am trying to keep away from pain killers because they slow things up, but had to take them last night B)

If I head back in, I'll try to tell my husband how to post so you'll know. Thank you, all, for caring.

~Roselover

Guest Mary from OH

Roselover-

Be careful with the diarrhea. It can sometimes mean that the stool is coming around a blockage. You can call your GI and just have them call in a flat plate xray of your abdomen to check things out. Also, feel your belly. is it hard or distended at all? If it is, go to the hospital. Also, if you start vomitting, go to the hospital. Can you tell I've been through this a few times with my daughter??

Hope you feel better!! My prayers are with you!!

Roselover,

Of course we missed you! ;) I am really getting used to your name popping up on this forum. You have a very wonderful way of looking at things and stating them...

I haven't been on much either and I miss it so much when I am not able to be on much. There are a lot of folks who haven't been on much..andd I have been hoping that they are enjoying the summer...not spending it in the hospital! Ugh! I am so sorry about all that is goind on. I sure hope you have some answers soon, and are not in the ER as I write this...and if you are, that your husband will update us!

I am thankful that at least your hospital visit was as good as stay in the hospital can be. I know I was screaming to get out of the hospital! And look where it got me? Back in the by ambulance!

Anyway, I love the story about searching PotsPlace before trying the meds. That's what I have to do...check in here for 'expert' opinions on everything!

I do hope you will 'get to the bottom of this soon'...pun intended! :)

Later alligator!

Emily

That stinks that you were in the hospital, but its great that you were able to get some answers. That is so rare these days! I recently had a positive experience in the hospital (with my son) and I was amazed that it could still happen ;)

I hope the meds work for you and you will feel better soon...as mentioned before, Reglan is a drug that can be used to induce lactation so don't be surprised if you were to experience that as a side effect, LOL. Keep us updated on your progress!!!