Drunk feeling

Hello,

Sometimes, I feel as if I am drunk. (No, I haven't been drinking Ha-ha.) I am not currently taking any medication because we are trying to have a baby. I know it may sound strange but that is the only way I can describe how I feel. I get very very happy and ofcourse my balance is completely off. My vision becomes very odd and things in the environment seem to be popping out at me. Colors seem to be more bright and it feels like I am on top of the world. When this happens to me, I try not to drive and do anything that I would have to concentrate on. I have to know if anyone else with POTS experienced something like this?

Thanks,

Christine

been there so many times, kinda sad ain't it.

i usually am bullheaded enough to get through short bouts, but anything over 5+ hours and i might as well pack it up and head to the er. by that time i usually do start vomiting and the only way to stop is iv drugs. i have even "heaved" my way to blackouts *whoo-hoo* :) and that "tipsy" feeling is so much like being drunk, yuck!!! not that i miss it or anything, but i have to feel that bad, i wish i could blame it on something that would go away after a while.

i hope you aren't that bad. i also find that it runs in cycles, a couple of days to 3-4 weeks. actually just started another round. i use compazine to help witht he nausea i get. i also hate the balance trouble, even rolling over in bed can kick off the "whirly twirlies". summer heat can kick it off for me too.

as of yet i have found no really good thing except to lay back and stay still. use something for nausea as needed and fluids, some electrolytes mabey and a lite snack.

best of luck

blackwolf

Hi Christine;

I don't know if I have felt like I am on top of the world but I can relate to a similar "drunk" feeling with dysautonomia. I was not diagnosed with POTS, but I do have IST, MVPS/dysautonomia. I get brain fog quite often with feelings of disconnection. But my body goes into alot more panic when I feel this way. I can't stand that feeling.

I would guess that your feeling this way much more since you aren't taking any medications. It would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about this feeling. Ask him if your heart rate and BP can give you symptoms like this.

Good luck on trying for a baby!!

KathyP :)

Hi Christine

Its great to hear from you again. Looks like not one of us are pregnant yet. I know exactly what you going through with out medication. The drunk feel is part of my life for me. I know when its is very bad my blood pressure is horrible low. What you need to do is then look after yourself even better than normal. Firstly eat well. I eat 6 small meals a day. Drink lots of fluids and electrolytes are helping me allot during this horrible period in my life. Salt and a low fat no sugar diet works wonderful for me. What every you do don?t go and lay down. Fight this with all you have. I have spent many days of my life praying just to get through a days work. If I did not fight this body so much I don?t know where I would be today. Thinking of you. Hope to hear good news from you soon. :P

My husband has NCS and this is a typical symptom for him. In fact, before he was diagnosed I am guilty of accusing him of drinking too much and not fessing up to it. For him, it is caused by low blood pressure which in most cases is relieved by drinking lots of fluids and laying down. Usually he is "recovered" after about 30 minutes. If not treated with fluids and laying down, his BP can go too low and this can lead to syncope (passing out).

This is common for me. Add the fact that I get "bedspin"; it feels like the bed has turned into a merry-go-round and then there is the staggering around hanging onto the walls... slurring of my speech sometimes, nausea from the vertigo... yup, i'm acquainted with the drunk feeling. I have NCS

I have had parts of this feeling, but none of the positive "on top of the world" part. I've had it both on & off of various meds. Sorry I don't have better words of wisdom to offer, but you're definitely not alone!

:-)melissa

I've felt drunk before but it's not quite how you described. I actually slur my words and can't remember peoples names. I feel tipsy and off balance.

It's been a long time since I've experienced one of these episodes, hopefully do to my medications keeping me better on track.

steph

hey,

came to add a me too

once a friend called a doctor to the house because I was dizzy, giddy, having shortness of breath, and standing on a chair trying to sing some of my favorite songs (hard to do with shortness of breath) Doctor was deliberating sending me to the ER, funny pulse he told me. Obviously not enough oxygen to the brain. Went over after a while and left me pretty knocked out.

Ariella

"Feeling drunk" was my most common description of my main symptom before I was diagnosed with POTS over 2 years ago. I couldn't find any other way to describe it. I've since come to the conclusion that it IS the result of low oxygen levels to the brain. Often it is associated with low blood pressure too; however, I believe it was Dr. Robertson at Vanderbilt who published a study demonstrating that even though arterial pressure may look normal for a POTS patient, they can still have a 30% decrease in cerebral perfusion when standing. It is my belief that this is what causes the drunk feeling. My meds help tremendously - TOPROL-XL and PROAMATINE... but I almost always feel drunk at some point during the day.

Take Care!

i love this web site!!

When i first got pots i used to feel drunk all the time, i'd be giggly walking into walls, dizzy and feeling really nauseous, then i'd pass out, woo hoo!! all the fun of a good night out without spending any money! :(

i am on medication now and i hardly ever feel like that anymore - i still get brain fog and feel a bit disconnected and i still get the vertigo but i don't get giggly and thaqt was the only fun bit.

if i forget to take my tablets (which i do a lot cos my memory is terrible and i always think i've taken them when i haven't) then i get the dizziness straight away.