Delayed Gastric Emptying

I have a question for all of you who have motility problems. I haven't been diagnosed yet, but in the last two weeks, I can't eat even a small meal without stomach problems. I will be seeing a GI this week. While I wait, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the best foods for easy digesting. I only seem to be able to take in liquids and saltine crackers (a few at a time). Is there anything that you know I should try to eat to keep my strength up? I'm getting weaker and sicker from not eating and I wondered if things like pudding or fruit smoothies or something else might digest easily and give me a little nourishment.

Thank you for helping me.

~Roselover

When we had people in the hospital just starting on solids we gave them the BRAT diet, bananas,rice,applesauce,toast. All easily digestible foods. Pretty dang blan, but seemed to do okay on them. I have gotten to the point where all I've had is ensure or boost, but hopefully you won't get there. Good luck, morgan

I'm just wondering if the energy gel packs (Power Gel, Gu Pac, etc) would help. They are used by athletes and contain electrolytes and carbohydrates (simple & complex) in a concentrated gel that you squeeze into your mouth - kind of similar to fruit flavored toothgel. Obviously they wouldn't be for long term but maybe they would help in a crisis. They can be found at sporting good stores (running, hiking) and specialty food stores (Trader Joe's for one) and cost about $1.00/pack. They come in a variety of flavors (some with caffeine).

I just grabbed a package (Tangerine w/ double caffeine) Power Gel made by PowerBar ( www.powerbar.com ). 1.4 oz contains 110 calories, 0 fat, 45mg sodium, 45mg potassium, 90 mg chloride, 6g sugars, total carbs 26g.

Guest Julia59

Roselover,

I went throught this same etype of thing---thankfully it passed, but I still struggle with slow motility. I found that nibbling on cheerios helped----cereal is fortified with vitamins and minerals. Pudding also helps with calcium. Milk is also very good.

I hope this is temporary---and you will be able to eat better soon.

julie :0)

When ever my gastroparesis acts up, I follow the BRAT diet also. One of my favorite things is chicken broth with noodles. Mashed potatoes and rice pudding are another favorite. Things to avoid are high fiber, fruits, veges and grains. They are hard to digest. Yet high fiber is supposed to be good for constipation which many of us suffer from. You just can't win!

DawnA

The BRAT diet is great when you're having digestion problems, but it's not good for long term, as you're not getting a full spectrum of nutrients. Actually most fruits (not all) are easily digested (because they are simple sugars) and usually empty from the stomach in 20- 30 minutes. Fruits with skin can slow down the process, due to the fiber, so I would remove the skin. Cooked veggies will be easier to digest than raw ones of course. Animal proteins take much longer to digest. Lacto-fermented foods are considered pre-digested due to the fermentation process (the bacteria breaks down the food) and they should be fairly easily digestible as well.

Have you tried digestive enzymes? They will help your stomach break down the food and assimilate the nutrients more efficiently.

I am sorry you're having such a tough time. Hopefully this is only temporary and will pass soon. <_<

Healing thoughts and hugs,

Gena

My doctor had me taking a nutrional liquid at times when I was having trouble maintaining my weight. I used Ensure. It was kind of yucky to drink, but it did help me.

Nina

Thank you everyone for your advice. My husband did buy me some Ensure and I was able to drink one today. I've tried pudding today and it immediately caused pain. Hmmmm... Well, I see a GI on Friday and have an endocrospocy (sp?). I am really dreading that - never had one, but it doesn't sound fun. Also, going without fluid for four hours before it worries me. I wonder if they'll give me an IV. I'm trying not to worry cause I know it'll just make things worse... but it's hard not to isn't it?

~Roselover

Roselover, the single best thing I did for my GI issues was go to a gluten free diet. I did this at the recommendation of a nutritionist. I also avoid dairy and meat. I drink hi protein Ensure.

Good luck with your Endoscopy. Since they usually give your meds through an IV you may be able to get fluids. Don't hesitate to call in advance and tell them you need the fluids. Most doctors will accommodate if you tell them what you need. It will really help cuz you will be a little groggy after the procedure and may want to sleep instead of catching up on your fluids.

I am going into dietetics and I work with some gastroparesis patients. The hardest food to digest is fat and liquids are the easiest. So you want to stay on a low fat diet as much as possible. Fiber is good because it helps increase the liquid in your bowels to help move the feces through (sorry to get so graphic). Ensure and Boost are good supplements if you can't eat solids, but you don't want to live on that alone. Also, if you are having trouble with nausea and vomiting try 250mg of ginger (in a capsule) four times a day (this also helps with inflammation) and peppermint (also try the capsule) I can't remember the dosage off the top of my head, but the bottle should tell you. You can get this pretty much anywhere that sells vitamins and minerals. This is my miracle cure for nausea and vomiting. When I take my procrit if I don't take the ginger and peppermint about 20 minutes prior then I can't even move without throwing up. Also, there is a really good step up diet for gastroparesis on the internet at gastroparesis diet

My mom has severe gastroparesis and if she follows this carefully then she does a lot better. You should check with your doc before starting any diet. I hope this is helpful! Good luck...I know that gastroparesis is very frustrating especially in America where so many social situations focus around food.

Jaime

Here are a few more sites, including food suggestions, that you may want to peruse. GP hit me hard this year too & I was pretty much sustaining on Boost & Ensures (35+lbs lost over just several months...pretty scary) We've just now got it a bit regulated with combo of meds & food. As others have alluded to, the contradition of fiber being good for lower GI motility but not for GP so much makes it all the more confusing if you are slow from top to bottom!

Hang in there,

:-)melissa

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/inter...stroparesis.cfm

http://www.g-pact.org/diet.htm

http://www.acg.gi.org/patients/gihealth/pd...stroparesis.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mary from OH

Here's a website right up your alley. Plus, the easiest answer is liquids! And, basically anything "easy" to digest.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs08.html

Good luck to you. My daughter has SEVERE motility issues. GP and her entire intestinal tract. Feel free to email me with any questions. She currently has a cecostomy as a result of her motility problems. She also has POTS, migraines, etc. She will be 6 in Aug.