How To Survive The Heat.

Any tips on how to survive the heat Sunday? My church is having a picnic at a park/creek area and a baptism service. There are like 40 people getting baptized including me. The picnic starts at 4 then after we eat we get baptized in the creek. They said last year there were over 500 people that attended the picnic! I am nervous about being in that crowd on sunday because i get anxious in crowds. I also am very heat intolerant. I don't feel well at all when i get hot. Its supposed to be 93 stinking degrees on the day of the picnic!!! Any tips on how to survive the heat?

Nothing helps me in that kind of heat! I bought a cooling vest years ago, and it just did not do the trick. I drink and carry iced bottles to run on my skin, but nothing works. I just vasodilate in response to being hot, and then that compounds POTS in general. Then my heart starts racing, my vision goes blurry and my brain slows down. I don't even attempt anything over about 82F.

I hope you can tolerate some of it, as being stuck indoors all summer is for the birds!

Thanks for the awesome advice! My grandma is going to bring a spray bottle plus a cooler filled with water and ice so we can dip towels in it and put it around our necks and an separate folding table so we can get away from the crowd and find our own shaded area. It is supposed to be 95 now! with heat index of 100!

I drink almost constantly when I have to spend extended time in the heat! I make sure to have something with a bit of sugar/electrolytes as well- I find it helps with the shakiness. My "go to drink" is watered down/diluted gatorade or powerade. I find a lot of it is figuring out what works best for you though!

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this might help you, but if I can get myself to the beach with my family, I go straight to the water and stay in it the whole time. Consider finding a way to be in the water. Maybe that will keep you cool enough. Good luck