New Computer Making Me Sick

artluvr09

A couple weeks ago I won a laptop, a macbook pro 13 inch with retina display. The only problem is it makes me sick. I tried using it a little yesterday and then a little today and when i use it i feel disoriented weak and almost seasick kind of feeling. I don't know if its because I'm not used to the small screen or if i am still anxious because i have never used mac before. I have always used windows. I hope i can get used to it without it making me disoriented and woozy. I am not used to a small screen like this and everything being so sharp. Have any of you ever had a problem like this? Do you guys have any tips on how to get used to the computer without it making me sick? I really want to get used to it because its a really cool laptop.

That is so cool that you won a laptop! I used to have difficulty with my laptop screen because of the brightness. You could try adjusting the screen settings to suit your taste. Or, there is a program you can download on to computers that dime the blue light and makes it easier on your eyes. I'm sorry I don't know the name of it but I bet if you Google it ,you can fins it.

I have had several times when watching TV or on a computer I get vertigo and if I try to stick it out and keep going I'll start to get nauseous. I haven't found a fix mainly because it doesn't happen often. You could try adjusting the screen resolution, maybe making things appear larger and less sharp, worth a try. Congrats on winning the laptop!

The programme that reduces the blue light is f.lux, and it's great for reducing visual discomfort caused by glare. (Although it does give the misleading impression that using it with the usual settings will stop blue light from keeping you up at night. Not unless you use the "darkroom setting", it won't, as it still lets some blue light through.)

Glare is a huge problem for me, probably because I have ME/CFS and that affects your eyes. As well as using f.lux to soften the glare, and a Bluelight Filter on my Android devices, I use Firefox addons to alter the colours of the websites that I use frequently. Black text against a light coloured background (grey, light blue, that sort of thing) works well for me. I cannot stand websites written in medium grey text on white!

I love f.lux. I have it on my laptop, and at night, it helps a lot. Lately I've noticed lights bothering me a lot more, but I know my body is in a bit of a flare, so lots of things are bothering me more. I cannot tolerate the lighting in stores and doctors offices, and what does my apartment have in it? The same fluorescent lighting they use. I've finally got enough lamps I can light my living room to avoid it.

And sweet laptop to win! I'm totally jealous, yet, I'm like attached to my iPad so much it's never far away, and it's not much smaller, lol.

Artluvr09,

I thought my daughters were the only ones with this problem! Theirs is kind of the opposite, they can work on their iphones some, but they can't use a tablet (not for long), watch tv, movies at a theater, fluorescent lighting, long hallways, busy patterns, ride in a car, etc. Sounds like vertigo to me. They have had this severely for the past year, but moderately for longer than that.

Do you have other vertigo issues? Any triggers other than the new tablet? I wonder if this is POTS, related to POTS, or vertigo just on its own?

Dizzy Girls

p.s. I like vs. 8 too! (your quote)

Thanks guys! I am slowly getting used to it! I use it some take a break use my other computer. dizzy girls i get the same way! i don't like going to the grocery store or target or walmart or khols and places like those because the fluorescent lights bother me especially when they bounce off the tile floor! and carpets bother me also! also i have noticed that when i read and the page in my book is red i get where it seems like lightning bounces off the red and it makes me dizzy! its really strange! and i don't get vertigo i get a wierd woozy feeling like my head is on a boat but i don't get nauseous just woozy. and another trigger for me is when i am shopping and i have to look up on a shelf or if i have to bend up and down a lot!

Artluvr, it sounds like a trip to the optometrist may be worthwhile, whether you currently wear specs/contact lenses or not. I've just had an eye test, only a year after the last, because I was getting so much blurry vision. Turns out my eyes have changed rapidly this time, no idea why.

Wearing sunglasses when you go out can really help with the glare in shopping centres and such. I have prescription grey- tinted specs, ordinary size rather than sunglasses size, which I wear in hospital, shopping centres, that sort of thing.

This is something I deal with all the time. Long before the new programs, I bought colored films to put on my computer screens. I like the blue, yellow and pink, better than the other colors. Or I wear shades when looking at back lit things. I get super dizzy in the theater so I wait for the move to come out on DVD and just close my eyes when its swirly or flashy.

I carry sun glasses and a visor most everywhere because of the flickering lights. My house is sun lit or lit with lamps at night.

Can anyone else see the pulses and hear the buzzing of the lights? Just this alone ***** the energy right out of me. I cannot carry on a conversation! My eyes start twitching and have sharp pains.

I got prescription ear bud/plugs to drown out the noise. I was told that I have hypercusis. I am also bothered by the high pitch sound my computer fan makes. My old one was very bad because it also vibrated and put out heat. My hands would swell and start dripping sweat! I got a smaller one and it is 50% better.

Yeah artluvr I get the same. Right now I'm on my phone to type but thinking of getting an iPad. I have lots of vertigo issues with cfs so bright lights, glare, patterns etc all affect me daily. While its not nice that others have these issues, its nice to be able to relate!