Hi Everyone

LJT

Hi, my name is Linda, I live in Australia and have had POTS for 3 1/2 years. I have just found this forum (thank goodness). I have got to the point that I am sick of being sick and I am looking for some support from people who understand my situation.

I take Florinef and Midodrine (Gutron) and receive Intragam infusions every month.

I would love to hear if anyone has got pregnant while having POTS, especially if they also take Midodrine.

Hi Linda,

welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found it because we are a very special group with lots of warm and friendly people. It's just a pity we all have POTS B) . There are several people who are/were pregnant during POTS so they can inform you. Wish you a warm welcome from The Netherlands,

Corina

Guest tearose

Hi Linda!

Welcome to our international collection of POTS people!

I hope you find the support and information to help get you through the ups and downs of this condition. I think we have a great group here!

Best regards, tearose

Hi Linda, welcome to the group. I think you will find there are people here who have experiences with POTS and pregnacy who can answer your questions. I also recall that we have one or two others who are from your home country.

It is great you found the forum and I look forward to hearing your personal story.

Welcome Linda! I just found this forum a few months ago after 3 years of POTS. It has been just what I needed. I am sure you will find the support you are looking for! Sorry, I can't answer the question about pregnancy, but why don't you post a separate question and maybe one of the gals with this experience will see it and answer. Also, if you use the search button at the top of the page, you might find some info too.

Again, Welcome!

Roselover

Hi, Linda. Welcome here. You've found a great source of both support and information!

I underwent (unsuccessful) fertility treatments and was told that I could not be on medications during conception or pregnancy. The following quote is from the national dysautonomia research foundation Web site (check it out! great information there! http://www.ndrf.org) -- it's written by Dr. Low, one of the leading physicians treating pots/dysautonomia in the US (at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN):

"Our patients have managed very well during their pregnancy and the delivery. They typically do very well during their pregnancy, feeling better than when they were not pregnant, especially during the first and second trimesters.

They should not be on any medications during their pregnancy.

The advice I give is as follows. They need to feel sufficiently well that they can manage without any medications. They need to be on a high salt, high fluid regimen. Their pregnancy should go well but should be managed as a high risk pregnancy by their obstetrician. During their delivery, their physicians need to ensure that they are volume expanded and like other high risk deliveries, they should not have to undergo prolonged labor. Finally, I tell them that they should be aware that they may feel worse in the puerperium (after their delivery) when their symptoms may return."

I hope that you can work with your doctor to taper off your meds so you can proceed with your family planning! I know there are others on the forum who have successfully done so--and I even think there are some who stayed on low doses of medications during their pregnancies. (But remember that research has not proven these meds as 100% safe...)

Best of luck to you!

Merrill

Merrill's response with pregnancy guidance for POTS patients hit the nail on the head, I think. Everyone's POTS experience is slightly different and so is everyone's pregnancy experience. There would be no reason to avoid a pregnancy as long as you can manage without medications. There are women on this forum who have taken some meds during pregnancy--but generally after the end of the first trimester.

I had POTS during pregnancy, but was not diagnosed until post partum. I was fairly to very sick with it, particularly towards the middle of the 2nd trimester to almost the end of the third trimester. Since I had no diagnosis, I was not put on any medications, nor was I managed as a high risk patient. I did end up having a c-section, but this was related to something else (a fibroid, which caused complications). I was an exception, in that I felt worse during pregnancy. Most women with POTS say they feel better during pregnancy. POTS does not affect your fertility, btw, if that was partly what you are getting at with your question.

Welcome to the forum, btw! Sorry you are sick, but glad you found us.

Katherine