What Causes Palpitations?

artluvr09

I used to get palpitations a lot and I had heart monitor and a king of hearts and my doctor said it was always fine. I have been on atenolol since October and havnet had many but today was weird. I was just sitting at my computer and had three heart palipations in a row when I breathed in. It was really strange.

I assume when you say palpitations you are referring to pvc's or pac's? Basically they really don't know why they occur. My cardiologist thinks it is just catecholamine release along with a touchy vagus nerve. If you look at statistics though, almost everyone including perfectly healthy people have palpitations on a daily basis. Most just don't feel them. Every study has concluded they are not indicative of any serious abnormalities in a structurally normal heart and the prognosis is the same as a normal person. I have bad days and good days but try not to let them bother me anymore. Some people have thousands every day with no issues. Magnesium and taurine can sometimes help.

Wish I knew! I have small ones daily, but every few months ill have a really bad episode that will last for 3-5 min. In this case, they are constant and hard so I always end up at the ER...Its one symptom that I don't think ill ever get used to! If u find and new info, please share!

Good luck :)

When I stopped taking Atenolol, which is blood pressure medication. My heart palpitations were constant,, and my tremors got worse. These issues are common and not dangerous....just yucky to deal with. My doctor told me that blood pressure medication is often used to help these issues.....so now I am back on Atenolol.

When I was first diagnosed I had palpitations almost constantly, every day. It was unusual for me to have a regular heartbeat. I've been diagnosed with low blood volume and low blood pressure.

I noticed that after treating that with Fludrocortisone, my palpitations stopped almost entirely. So, for me at least, I think they were caused by low blood volume. My blood pressure is high now, and I'm treating it with an ACE inhibitor, but when I forget to take my Fludrocortisone or if I get dehydrated, the first indication I will get of feeling bad is the palpitations will come back.