Getting Stung By A Scorpion Makes Pots Symptoms Worse.

I moved into my new house a couple weeks ago. Last week I was stung by a bark scorpion. Oh the joys of living in Arizona.... They are very poisonous, so it caused extreme pain, numbing all over my body, dropped my blood pressure, my heart was racing for days, and my eyes couldn't focus. Its been horrible. The pain is mostly gone, but my POTS is a complete mess. I should have got the anti serum, but they only do that for kids, the elderly, and if you have an allergic reaction. So yes, getting stung by one does make POTS worse :/

yeah Dani that totally *****! i totally am freaked out by them, i live next to a golf course and they are really strong in our neighborhood - bark scorpions, i had our yard sprayed regularly prior to getting Mac, my big tortoise but although taken every precaution, all that I hear from work (i know tons of pest control peeps) unless you get rid of source of food, meaning crickets and other little bugs scorpions will thrive here in the desert. they like moisture too. pay special attention to how many lizards/geckos you observe. they eat the same things as scorpions so that will give you a clue in. you can hunt scorpions with a blacklite cuz they glow, or get a cat, they can actually kill scorpions whereas i am told a dog cannot. and watch out when you get in the bath. sorry about your experience, but scary and akkklllllllllll.

I was told that it was good that I have lots of lizards and was told the more the better, cause they do away with the scorpions --so I was told. I've never seen one at my place --thank goodness. On the other hand, we had a coyette jump our fence in the back and walk around in our back yard ---in the city. Can you believe that?

Sorry Dani, that one got ya! Hope you feel better soon.

Issie

I am not sure of the exact technical name, but its known as the Arizona Bark Scorpion. They are the only one that can climb walls. Ugh gives me the creeps because they can drop into your bed.

I have the exterminator spray for everything! He put scorpion traps everywhere too. Hopefully this nightmare will be over soon!

Centruroides sculpturatus says wikopedia. you can also put powder down the columns of your block fence, I bet u have one, most homes in AZ do, so different than the midwest but I guess our lots are smaller out here so more privacy that way. Scorpions - that's one thing that totally freaks me out in the summer, I want to swim in my pool at night but dont want to step on one of those ********!

I want to swim in my pool at night but dont want to step on one

Yes, agree ---that's the best time to swim in the summer. It's almost too hot in the day. It's hot at night too --but, being in the desert it cools off some. It's also wonderful to lie on your float in the pool and look up at the stars and moon.. . . .and we have bats that fly down and around the pool grabing small insects. We occasionally have a big hoot owl too. It's quite wonderful! Looking forward to it ---but, it's still too cold to get into.

I can also say from personal experience that getting bite by a copperhead snake will also make your POTS symptoms worse. I got bit in Aug and am still having problems. Apparently the venom can stay in your tissues and cause your blood vessels to become very porous. Just what someone with POTS doesn't need is more venous pooling!

I can also say from personal experience that getting bite by a copperhead snake will also make your POTS symptoms worse. I got bit in Aug and am still having problems. Apparently the venom can stay in your tissues and cause your blood vessels to become very porous. Just what someone with POTS doesn't need is more venous pooling!

Ohhh, now that's a bad one. How long will those affects be there?

You have to be in the South somewhere. I grew up with those all over the place. Learned to kill snakes almost before I could walk. Chopped the head off a coral snake on our front steps before I ever started to school. The joys of the South. We had alligators in our yard too. Neighbors lost lots of dogs that way.

Issie

Sorry you got stung Dani. At our old house in Gilbert we had TONS of scorpions. Hubby would go on black light hunts every night. He'd smash them with a hammer. This was after dusting and spraying monthly. We moved in Sept to a different part of Phoenix and have not seen a Scorpion at all. Thank God. We did however have raccoons in our backyard on our patio! (in the middle of the city) and we have a coyote that lives in a wash near us.

We should have an Arizona meeting. Seems like there are quite a few of us on here.

I guess it somthing very nice about livin in a country where we dont really have any poisenus bugs:) we maby have bad weather and long dark winter, but no scorpions or snakes ( well one type, but a Kind on).

My man migth be Abel to work in Australia for a year. But he doesnt like the idea of the lilte one and me in a country full off dangerous bugs an snakes.

But i guess if u have grown up Whit it u better know How to take care. I hope the effects of the scorpions bite dont last. I have been camping in tent, for weeks in USA. In Arizona , Texas etc, I was living in naive bliss i realise;) i did have a close encounter Whit a coyte in grand canoyn.

Feel better Soon:)