Mind Vs Body

Do people think that employing techniques such as Positive thinking, meditating, visualising or saying affirmations can in any way help alleviate physical symptoms or improve recovery overall? What about self help books?

Other than Positive thinking I have not really tried any of these methods. I have never really had to but now I have this physical issue (NMH) I am wondering if some of this stuff might help?

I think the mind is a powerful tool to use. I am not sure it can cure us, but it can help deal with symptoms, and just the whole chronic illness thing. It is easy to get negative thoughts about yourself roaming around in your head. I do think negative thoughts are unhealthy.

I am reading Louise Hay, You can heal your life. It is based on positive affirmations. It did make me realize how many negative thoughts really went through my head.

IMHO, keeping a positive but realistic attitude is important but affirmations, etc don't work. It's great idea for selling books or dvds if you don't want to accept any responsibility for what you're saying. All disputes would be met with "But you didn't really believe it, did you ? " or "You didn't try hard enough" ...

I say this because in 2005, when I first realized the importance of diet, and some of my symptoms simply disappeared via diet change, I got really po'd at the medical profession. More so than now .. lol ... But even in that state of mind, I started walking normally in Sept 2006. tc ... d

I am a realist, I do try to be optimistic, but that is not my natural inclination. That said being negative and depressed definitely won't help. I hear often that those that are more upbeat and positive often feel better and probably do better. That makes sense being depressed does things to the body, so being upbeat would help.

Plus all of the those things you listed may help you have a better mind frame, and i think help you control or divert pain. Each person is different so you would have to see what works for you. I don't find some of them helpful, but many do. Plus, some of them take time to learn and work. I do use yoga breathing and read others stories to get inspiration (like Michael J. Fox).

At our house we try to keep it as positive as we can, but it can be difficult. One thing that really helps with my son is sunshine therapy. I take him outside for at least 15 minutes to 30 minutes. This can be really hard to do if its too cold or his pain levels are really high. I try to keep him distracted as much as possible because things have went down hill since he has had the flu. Pets are helpful and so is an aquirm with fish. I changed to using natual white light bulbs in the rooms and this has helped some.

B/c our condition involves the autonomic nervous system, breathing exercises or meditation, anything that can contribute to calming the sympathetic response I think could help to some degree with symptoms. Certainly I do not believe it could be a cure for most of us. But when I was very ill I did try biofeedback and breathing exercises and I do feel it was somewhat helpful with symptom management. It also helped my emotional response to symptoms, which can be a negative feedback loop.

I found breathing exercises in Dr. Weil's book Spontaneous Healing helpful. I still use them.

And I agree looneymom, getting outside, fresh air and sunshine, even if just sitting/lying down, can be extremely helpful too. AND pets help too! :)

I am a natural optimist and have been all my life. I am actually too upbeat for having a chronic illness and having to stay home for the last 7 years. With that said, I have always believed that, someday, I will find answers. I still haven't yet. I don't think being positive has helped the course of my POTS or its symptoms, but it has helped me cope with the situation.

I can sometimes use meditative breathing to get me out of presyncopal episodes (not always but sometimes) . I also think anything you can do that will keep you in positive spirits will improve your quality of life especially dealing with chronic illness. It's bad enough to have a body in a bad place but it's way worse to then let your mind get to that same bad place. There is a book that is self-help, mindfulness, and meditation all in one. It's an easy read and has short chapters that each have an easy exercise at the end that you can incorporate into your daily routine (something as easy as counting your footsteps as you walk from one place to the next teaches you mindfulness and being present.) The book is "Wherever You Go, There You Are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. If you've never done anything like this before, its a great book to start with.

yeah, maybe we have to trick our minds a little. I'm not really into self help books. I was always pretty positive before pots. I think I still am, considering how I feel but it helps having a son and reminding myself of all I have accomplished. I agree with Mom2G, breathe therapy is important. has anyone googled email apnea?

Thnaks guys - I am going to look at breathing excercises. I googled and found something called cardiac coherence a type of breathing excercise. Also wil check out Dr Weils book. I think all this stuff could have a place and could be very helpful - I am just starting to explore it all. I am quite a positive person so I am coping OK with it all but I do get frustrated at times not being able to do basic stuff like going clothes shopping for ages or going for a long walk.

I just tend to this at this point in my life 'it is what it is' so I am concentrating on trying to understand what helps me meds wise, diet wise and excercise wise.

I agree with Momto and others that breathing exercises, meditation, and other things associated with yoga can only help. I am so curious about the connection between yoga and our autonomic nervous system since many years ago Swami Rama was studied because he was completely able to control his autonomic nervous system -- blood pressure, heart rate, even able to stop his heart from beating. Very well documented study. Of course, this was after many years of being a yogi, but still. There must be some of this that we can use.

I imagine, looney mom, that sunshine and pet friends, can only help.

I'm also curious about biofeedback as helpful. Isn't that part of the program being used successfully in Texas with some (that and exercise)?

I agree staying calm helps somewhat. I think having an open mind and being willing to try different things and not constantly being in fear has contributed a lot to my recovery. There is somewhat of a mind body connection, but POTS is ultimately a physical condition.

I have done yoga and breathing exercises seriously for years. It has not cured me but has helped me to feel better overall. Breathing exercises can calm my HR a little when it is acting up. I still need medicaiton, though.

Thanks, Katybug. I found some of it in a topic "Integrated/functional medicine". Looks interesting and promising. But I do think there is more written by Farmer Amy about her experience in TX.

Speaking of mind/body, have any of you ever tried energy medicine?

A few years ago, I went to a Chi Gung Master for a few months of acupressure and energy medicine, I felt great for almost a year. I was feeling really sick at the time, although had not yet been identified as having POTS. A dear friend of mine with end stage cancer saw him and during the time she was with him, about three years, her cancer did not grow at all. I never found anyone like him since.

Am a huge proponent and believer in the power of the mind.

When I first got sick with CFS in the 1980's, I bought tapes on how to visualize and meditate.

I also had biofeedback which is amazing when done by someone experienced.

A huge part of how all of these practices work is that it causes the brain to enter a state where it produces alpha waves. This is a profoundly relaxing and healthy state for the mind and body.

To this day I use mediation combined with breathing techniques to help me with sleep and pain daily. It's powerful.

There is a lot of useful information on the internet to help learn breathing, meditation techniques and visualization.

I've used these techniques for years to deal with pain, sleep, being in the hospital before surgery and as an everyday benefit.

Meditation takes a bit of practice, it's normal for your mind to wander in the beginning when you're learning. When combined with very simple breathing technique it's an amazing modality.

In the eastern world, where mediation is a part of the culture, it's extraordinary how much peace of mind, calm, and mindfulness these people carry within.

Since pots involves the sympathetic aspect of the autonomic nervous system, it makes even more sense to have additional tools to deal with the 'fight or flight' aspects.

Dysautonomia also involves the amygdala. The amygdala is part of the limbic system, but it sends impulses to the hypothalamus for activation of the sympathetic nervous system.

The new Mayo paper, as well as others on dysautonomia all mention the amygdala as a part of pots.

Many people with chronic illness also deal with additional stress concerning friends and family. Much of this stress is longterm and is not something that can be controlled or changed by patients. Mediation, breathing techniques, and visualization can be very effective for this.

Am passionate about this topic, as it's helped me for years.

It's free, it's something that can be developed and something no one can take it away from you.

Best,

K