Iud For Hormone Control

houswoea

My hormones are OUT of control. The hardest thing is that I continually have my period, and whenever I have it, it really brings out my pots. Two years ago I had a scope down there and everything was fine, so thats not an issue. They are suggesting an IUD, and I'm wondering if anyone has had success with that. All other methods of bc no longer work. My appointment is at the end of march with my mayo doc. Thanks! Liz

I've had the mirena for about 7 years (got it changed in the 5th year). After the initial bleeding, I too have not had a period since! It's been wonderful. I still have POTS symptoms and don't seem to have hormonal imbalances that I know of. Prior to the mirena I was on bc for about 11 years.

Westermass, interesting that you mention a decreased libido. I've had this for some time now, but I think mine is due to medication, because I didn't really have this problem before I got sick and I wasn't aware that mirena could lower one's sex drive..

My GYN doc told me that IUDs normally work well for people who have heavy periods but she does not suggest them at all when other systems are involved such as with most of the symptoms that people on this board have. I have a lot of GI problems so she highly suggested the nuvaring which I love most of the time and hate when I can't get it to stay where it's supposed to. It has greatly lightened and regulated my period but my symptoms do still flair up during my period, just not as bad as they used to.

I was 20 when I had the mirena placed (did not have kids prior, so placement was pretty uncomfortable, but manageable (i did found out though when having it removed that my uterus lays to the right and my cervix is very narrow, which my new OBGYN said is probably one reason it hurt like it did)) I just had it removed a few months ago as my husband and I are currently TTC. But I loved it! My periods were irregular for the first few months then until a few months ago no period..I would cramp occasionally but no bleeding which was awesome. I would greatly recommended it. I have noticed since having it removed that my sex drive has increased back to what it was prior to the mirena( which I never even realized had decreased until I no longer had it)..I plan on having another one placed again once we have kids, I do feel like not having my period really helped my hormones level out greatly, because like you I am also irregular and could spot every day for a month and then go months with nothing (talk about crazy hormones).

I would go for it and stop your periods for awhile if they are affecting your POTS.

I had put my period off for 3 months and was feeling fab and then a month ago I had a period and the doctors think it has bought my symptoms on.

Periods are a big trigger factor for POTS apparently. The oestrogen in the birth control pill is supposed to expand blood volume which is good for women with POTS. I appreciate you are looking at an IUD as opposed to the pill however I think it's worth stopping your periods for a bit and maybe your other symptoms will lessen somewhat?

• 4 years later...