Hurricane Sandy Affecting Your Symptoms?

shan1212

With the cooler fall weather, I'd been feeling a lot better recently. I'm training for an 8k in two weeks and have run for 45 minutes (though I suspect I'll have to run for about an hour to go 4.9 miles). But then when it got super humid before the storm this weekend, I started to feel very POTSy. For the last two days I've been falling asleep off and on, having stomach troubles, feeling jittery, prefering to be in a reclined position, etc. Boo. Has anyone else been affected by the change in barometric pressure brought on by Sandy?

I've been through a few hurricanes in Louisiana, but I've found the barometric pressure doesn't bother me. It is the humidity before and during the storm that bothers me. It was weird...during one of the hurricanes where our electricity went out and no a/c, I literally felt like I couldn't breathe the air was so "thick" with humidity. I have NO clue why I feel so short of breath anymore for no good reason. I never had breathing problems before POTS(no asthma, no COPD, etc.). I feel like I would imagine someone with horrible anemia might feel even though I don't show anemia(sorry, a little off-topic, but the breathing is a problem for me).

I don't live where we're feeling any effects from Sandy but I have frequently noticed that I've had major POTS symptoms brought on by barometric pressure changes, especially drops in pressure. Because I live at a higher altitude already, I guess maybe we already live in a relatively "low pressure" situation so maybe that's why I'm so sensitive to the changes. I don't do well with humidity either tho.

I completely had a return of portions of my symptoms. I thought I was crazy for thinking the storm. Then some FB people were posting ear popping and head pressure. I told my kids to turn off music because it was incr my HR and that's a symptom that's been long gone. I also felt nervy, ear pain, had blue veins popping out in my hand all day. I live in SJersey. Sandy made landfall not too long ago and it's very quiet here as we are supposedly in the eye of the storm. Just about 10 minutes ago I started to be able to breathe a little better and it dawned on me to check the forum to see who might feel like me. There's comfort in numbers. Thanks shan1212 for starting this post ~ it helped a lot. Prior to today I was claiming 90-95% improvement. Anytime I have a little off day I let fear sometimes overtake my positive energy. This thread helped calm me....thanks to all that posted.

I have had a flare of some of my symptoms. Interestingly I do better with low pressure systems so I don't feel as bad as I thought because bad weather usually flares my POTS. The humidity aways bothers me...I start feeling severe air hunger upon any exertion (like doing the dishes or going up the stairs) .

I don't know what is triggering my symptoms but I am having a terrible time today. No sleep last night but I am so sleepy. My hands are achy and swollen. Brain fog is terrible but worst of all is that I can not get warm. I have a very hard time with temperature shifts. Any helpful tips?

Is it weird that during the storm yesterday I actually felt pretty good symptoms-wise? Heat makes me feel worse and usually so does humidity but yesterday felt really mild despite the crazy weather. I was very sleepy but my blood pressure was excellent all day and I had better than in-the-gutter energy level. Today, however, i feel like i've been hit by a truck.

I felt an increase in the day or two leading up to the storm. I felt better as the storm got closer. Today I feel normal. I think it's easier to breathe after a storm in general - cleaner air and negative ions. I hope everyone escaped with not too much damage. I was most worried about POTS acting up and it didn't.

Sounds like I will be out of power at home for a few days, which means no running water and will have to take the stairs 10 flights up. Stairs are the only part I am worried about. Honestly, compared to my worst days of POTS, a few days of discomfort/inconvenience doesn't seem like a big deal.

Good luck with that Yogini. In July I was out for 12 days and we have well water....luckily my husband hooked us up to a generator for the important stuff, but life was primitive for sure. It was hot and I had no AC - really hard to control symptoms. My symptoms post the storm today have improved. I am hoping as this thing totally clears I'll be back to where I was. Good luck all