Comprehensive Information On Licorice

ramakentesh

May be of interest to some - it has SOOO many actions:

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Herbal_-_HMPC_assessment_report/2012/08/WC500131285.pdf

Other than the obvious benefit in BP spikes and blood volume expansion I wonder if the MAO activity has any relevance to its benefit of some? Both chronic sympathetic stimulation and NET inhibition both upregulate serotonin transporters according to some research.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1385%2FJMN%3A20%3A2%3A135?LI=true

Great article, i sooo love it when tradition and science are combined. such sweet synergy. Hmmm, interesting thought. a side effect of MAOI's is OI, so perhaps in those that are benefited because of high BP etc? Then again Licorice can a pretty potent adrenal acting like fludro and cortisol, and seratonin plays a role in so many various systems, so hmmm... Interesting thought. Im thinking this is partially why it is so often calle an adatogen. It just has so many wonderful and varied uses, and tastes great to boot. I may poke around with this a bit more sometime, but for now, licorice is just one of those herbs i love and keep around sometimes. and im happy leaving it at that :)

btw, liked your post about its 'other' actions for you. Its good stuff. ;)

Wow, that is a huge amount of information! It is really a very potent herb.

I was surprised to read that Clinical studies have shown that short-term use (not more than 4 weeks) is safe. So for those that take or have taken it for Pots, do you only take it for that span of time or do you monitor bloodwork and bp the same as you would with Florinef?

For anyone who has taken both Florinef and licorice (at different times of course), I'd be curious to hear how the experiences were similar or different.

I've used preparations with licorice in the past, and in the past put some powder into my smoothies. Especially given my positive response in the past, I need to try using it again by itself. This is a wealth of information to read, too. Absolutely incredible how the science is coming together on some of these awesome herbs!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

As with everything else, please do not self "medicate" but consult a dr before considering taking licorice or any other herbs, vitamins, minerals, or supplements that others may have found helpful. Also research, research, research ;)

Alex

My wellness doctor just prescribed me with capsules of licorice root extract and I noticed an IMMEDIATE boost in blood pressure. I'd prefer to be on the licorice and wait to try midodrine... Only problem is for some reason it gives me bad stomach pains, especially when i take it while on my birth control.

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the discussion but wondering, do I need to find a product that has deglycyrrhizinated licorice or non-deglycyrrhizinated licorice?

It seems to me Dr. Pocinki made a distinction in one of his videos of which type to get versus the other but I can't remember!

My health store has a product - Natural Factors DGL chewable deglycyrrhizinated licorice tablets which is usually sold as a digestive aid. I want something to raise my blood pressure but I have finicky taste buds and prefer capsules if possible. They can order me capsules of the same but want to know what strength I'm looking for.

If indeed the DGL is what I should be purchasing, can someone suggest an effective capsulestrength ?

btw, really...such a ridiculous word exists???

My understanding is that the glychyrrhizin is the ingredient that helps boost your BP and retain more fluid (which is what florinef does). It's the glychyrrhizin that has a structure that is similar to the adrenal hormones and it is used to treat adrenal insufficiency, fatigue, respiratory infections etc.

The DGL is recommended for digestive tract issues and has no hypertensive side effects.

I hope this helps.

Alex

Charlotte, you're welcome.

Kim, I believe you should be looking for licorice not glychyrrizin.

I haven't tried it but I've seen it on shelves in many stores - particularly those selling natural/organic products. I'll PM you if I find a link.

Alex

• 3 months later...

Licorice is great.

As well as its often reported blood volume increasing properties via sodium retention in the kidneys, it also acts as to increase cns dopamine, acts as a mild MAOI, can reduce nitric oxide in the endothelium (wish i could find that study again) and contains steroid-like compounds that can suppress autoimmunity.

• 3 weeks later...

I take licorice root for POTS and it works great for me. I have tested it many times with the poor mans test and along with salt loading and some green tea my heart rate will only be 10 beats higher upon standing than laying down rather than the 30 plus. The only problem is that it doesnt last very long. Just a few hours. I monitor my blood pressure often and it's still low after licorice 100/60 or so. Before the licorice it's usually much lower. I also have been eating avocados and using "No Salt" for potassium which licorice depletes apparently. Not sure if that helps but I plan on getting my kidneys, liver and blood tested again soon.

Thank you ramakentesh for the article!