Why Does Beta Blocker Do This?

sue1234

I hope someone might have had a similar problem and can explain it to me. I've been taking a quarter of a 10 mg. propranolol for the last 5 days. I am trying to build up to see if it helps. Well, the first two days went okay, but the last few are not.

About 30 minutes after taking it, my ear rings louder than normal. Also, my head feels real full, as do my ears. When I am upright I feel a little off-balance. Also, my hands seem to be sweating(more like moist--that's it on sweating for me) and I feel anxious. I took my blood pressure sitting, and it was normal.

Besides all the physical feeling, is it odd to feel anxious on a beta blocker?? I felt anxious when I tried an alpha/beta blocker combo over a year ago. Why do I feel like this??

I was on proponol and it did the same thing to me, first day was fine, I felt actually better but 2nd day was horrible, it completely upset my stomach and by 3rd day I took 1/2 of the baby starter dose I was prescribed and my boss told me to get off that **** because I looked/acted/felt stoned and was very symptomatic. It took a week to get back to the still crappy way I was feeling before starting it. Since your hyper I have read you should try an alpha antagonist such as clonodine but I am scared to try that after my first experiance with a beta blocker.

Dani, I guess I could google it but Idk what midodrine does to help? And I think you are hyperpots as well? And I was wondering per a previous post by you what the results of your mri?

I am so glad you wrote.. I was on metorpolol

and the first 2 weeks I was ok then I also felt so anxious, sweaty skin, I felt like I was going to cone out of skin ..

I stopped it and feel so much better , well at least back to my normal not feeling well self.

Cardiologist won't switch it until I see him again.

It's probably dropping your blood pressure too much or something .

Feel good!

I think all three of you must be right. Even though my b/p seems okay sitting, I just feel soooo off when I'm upright. I bet it is something like you are mentioning, Dani, that I'm probably getting too much vasodilation with the beta. I don't like it. Why can't I just find a med that actually HELPS me instead of giving me awful side effects????

I don't think that betas cause vasodilation, but they do lower BP in many people. Also, the side effects of a beta are usually worst in the first couple of weeks and even out. I had leaden feet, as my dr called it, but it went away after about a week. I don't know about propranolol, but bystolic is a new beta that stabilizes HR without affecting BP as much as the other betas. You may have to wait out side effects, play with different betas and/or take another med to boost your BP as some of the others suggest. It's never easy, I know!

• 2 weeks later...