Amplified Heart Beat

kalamazoo

I always feel like my heart beat is beating so hard. When I lay down it's in my back throbbing, when I lay on my side, it's in my arms and chest. If I'm sitting I can feel it so much in my butt (sorry, couldn't think of a better word) it just feels so prominent. And I wonder if I'm just paying close attention to it or if this is because of the POTS?

My nurses call it bounding ~ Even when it's @ a low 90 it will be bounding ~ I really dislike it in my ears :( That and the swishing sound ~

I get it too! Sometimes when I'm lying down my heart will be beating so hard that not only will I feel it in my back/neck/shoulders, I can actually feel my body rock with my pulse. I can feel my heart thumping away in my chest just sitting down as well.

I've only been having symptoms since December, which started suddenly and intensely. So despite normal cardiac tests I'm still suffering from a good dose of health anxiety (reminding myself at least once a week that I'm not about to drop dead of myocarditis or something). The pounding heart is NOT helping to say the least.

It's like my heart is dancing and running @ the same time ~ lol : )

i do it too, and recently been told i'm odd cos you dont need to feel my pulse in my neck to check my heart rate- it can be seen ! and i;m fairly chubby at the moment so my neck isnt exactly slender right now! lol! you can also count it by looking at either my tummy or chest while i; laying on my back, and when i meditate i tend to rock at heart beat speed. i thought it was just a habit thing i was doing until i made a conscious decision to try and be still.... and it still happened. a pal watched me and checked my heartrate with my pulse ox machine thingy and i genuinely am rocking with my heart rate, no matter how bad my arrhythmia is- i match it! :lol:

and noticed today that if i unfocus my eyes i can see my beat in my vision- i get a minute darkening and a sudden brightening and its the brightening that i can clearly see, its a bit like when you see stars in your eyes, that kind of brightening. its very odd...

and through all this my blood pressure is low.... which makes me wonder- what would we be like if our pressure was higher?! :lol: actually, it may be happening to over compensate for our low BP....

i've always been this way, even had as a little child so i dont think its harmful, but a definite curiosity!

fi xx

I <3 my pulse o2 finger monitor ~ I put it on when to give people a clear picture of what is going on with me from squatting to slowly standing.

i had a period of a couple of months - before being diagnosed with POTS - when i've been told that i have anxiety issues and sinus tachycardia when i was extremely aware of my heart beats particularly when lying in bed getting ready to go to sleep. I am still very sensitive to the slightest change in heart rhythm but I don't feel like my heart's about to jump out of my chest that often now.

I know it's a very annoying feeling and I wish I could give you some advice as to how to cope with it, unfortunately none of the things I have tried really helped (relaxation music, breathing, self hypnosis videos on Youtube only seemed to alleviate the symptoms for short times).

not sure if it's a POTS issue or not, I've been told it's anxiety related, and I can definitely understand that. I guess as some point it's a question of whether it bothers you or not. I know I wasn't able to ignore it and the feeling can be quite horrible.

Alex

I have this too...I think it is definetly related to the POTS. I've had these palpitations for a long time and sometimes it feels like my heart is going to explode! Not fun!

Just wondering when is all of your palpitations the worst? Mine doesn't seem to be specific at all but happens often.

Mine seem to be the worst when I'm in bed, especially if it's a day where my heart desides to be tachy even lying down. I'm told bedtime palps are very common, though. You're lying still and quiet, so there's nothing to distract you from your heartbeat.

Yep, I have this too. I don't remember hearing my blood pumping and swooshing before my POTS flare began, eh, maybe occasionally, but now I hear it all the time and it gets much more intense when it's time to lay down and take a break.

Wow! So many people have this. And no I don't have any kind of sensor, I don't want a reminder of how high my heart rate is because it jist makes me more anxious. I can tell what my heart rate is all the time without checking for a pulse because of this pounding in my body. Mine is worse when I've been sitting for a while or if I've got a headache. I can also see my chest move my shirt up and down and can see my heart rate in my vision too. It's extremely annoying and keeps me up at night. I cant lay ib my left side because the soynd of my heart is too prominent when I'm trying to sleep.

I heard on a TV show that the best way to get your heart rate down and in control was to play the sound of a normal heart beat. I often play one for relaxation and for when I leave the dog alone. The belief is that your heart rate will sync with this soothing normal heart rate.

Wow! So many people have this. And no I don't have any kind of sensor, I don't want a reminder of how high my heart rate is because it jist makes me more anxious. I can tell what my heart rate is all the time without checking for a pulse because of this pounding in my body. Mine is worse when I've been sitting for a while or if I've got a headache. I can also see my chest move my shirt up and down and can see my heart rate in my vision too. It's extremely annoying and keeps me up at night. I cant lay ib my left side because the soynd of my heart is too prominent when I'm trying to sleep.

i posted about a trick I can do because of my powerful heart rate, I have regular non-electric scale and it ticks from almost a pound, back and forth when i stand on it lol I'm just so used to it already after all this time I don't notice it as much. The pulseOX helps me lower my heart rate actually by concentrating on lowering it, if that makes sense..

I heard on a TV show that the best way to get your heart rate down and in control was to play the sound of a normal heart beat. I often play one for relaxation and for when I leave the dog alone. The belief is that your heart rate will sync with this soothing normal heart rate.

That's so true!

• 5 years later...