Sensory Problems- Lack Of Sensation

HopeSprings

Here's another symptom. I guess it gives me comfort when others can relate. Do you ever feel like you can't feel your body? As I was walking around today I realized it sort of feels like I'm walking on clouds or pillows, like I'm not totally feeling my feet hit the ground as I walk. Also, my hands - I'll often drop things because I'm not fully feeling with my hands. There's an urge to shake everything out or rub - hands, arms, legs - to get sensation back (doesn't work). This symptom is worse on my dizzier days. Could it be part of small fiber neuropathy? I pass all neurological tests - where they prick you or put the cold thingy or the vibration thingy on you (don't know the technical names for these tests!) - so it's not a literal loss of sensation? Anyone?

I get this too! It only happens for a few seconds at a time so at first I thought it was in my head. When I was standing up the other day I got totally freaked because I knew I was standing but I could not feel my feet on the ground whatsoever. Also, when I was standing up,I couldn't feel my hands at all- it was like they were numb.

Yes, me too. It seems, for me, to be related to the other post you made recently about the dizzy, drunk, spacey feeling. I have even noticed my vision playing into it too. (You know when you were little and would put your grandparents eyeglasses on and the floor would look warped and it would feel funny to walk...that's what my vision does when I have this sensation.) I, too, pass all the neuro tests including the sweat test to check for nerve failure.

Numbness, tingling, the inability to feel things with your hands and feet, and PAIN can point to small fiber neuropathy. The most conclusive test for this is to have a skin biopsy, along with your related symptoms. They 'punch' two tiny holes in your leg, one above your ankle, and one on your outer upper thigh. These get sent to one of the few labs in the US where they read the biopsy material. I can't comment as to what they do overseas, however. Look up small fiber neuropathy under Mayo Clinic or another reputable site for more information. I take Gabapentin for the pain.

This happens to me too! I've figured that its not so much a numbness for me as it is a lack of ability to feel thing around me that put pressure on my skin. Hence the floaty feeling. It sure is annoying though, and it freaks me out.