Pooling In Hands

HopeSprings

We talk a lot about pooling in legs, visible as redness in feet, but has anyone noticed the same effect in their hands? This was a recent observation during a Dr's appointment - stood up with hands at my side and they were very red, also had the livedo reticularis pattern thing on my arms. So I tested it out by raising my arms - everything improved - arms back at sides, it all comes back. Anyone else?

Yep, me too. Bright red when I let arms hang at my side for too long. Immediately bright red every time I put them in hot water to wash dishes. It was only after seeing how red my hands were after washing dishes that my family finally realised I wasn't making POTS up. From that time on they became very concerned about me washing dishes as they didn't want to make my hands turning red. I felt like telling them that's the least of my problems, actually the standing to wash dishes is much worse - but I'll take any sympathy I can get from them!

my hands do it too, had to stop wearing my rings cos when my fingers swell up the rings start to cut off my circulation. my hand pooling is very bad at the moment but in the past it wasnt so bad so i'm hoping to be able to wear my rings again, eventually! :lol:

my hands never go as pink/purple as my legs do but if i raise my hands after having them down for a while you can clearly see the blood draining out of them. it's a very good party trick! ;)

fi

I think I've been getting pooling in my hands lately, especially after I go for walks and if I have gloves on. What I have is a bit different than what everyone has described so far. My hands get really itchy/burny and swollen and bright red. Maybe it's not pooling, but it feels like the blood is rushing there.

This same thing happens to my legs, especially if i'm walking outside in the cold. They will itch horrendously and turn bright red, also has happened to my hands if i'm wearing gloves. i think it is blood rushing to the capillaries..

Oddly enough, my hands and feet don't turn red, but my veins tend to be really big, as if they're full of blood. If I lift my hands over my head, they're normal again and then when I lower them I can watch the veins distend. (Nurses who have to draw blood love me...) Otherwise, my skin tends to be quite pale and cold, but I'm usually freezing, so maybe if I ever warmed up I'd get red!

dizzyblonde,

I get exactly what you are describing...but it's only on my palms, the back of my hands look and feel normal. More weird stuff...I took pictures of my palms the other day for just this reason so I can show the docs.

Katie

Hi Katie, My palms are the first to get swollen and itchy too! It's only when it's really bad that it goes to my fingers and my whole hands/wrists. I get a bit of it in my feet occasionally too, though usually my feet are either freezing cold or burning up (when I lie down at night). It's always an adventure, though, to see what's next!

I was at ENTs today sitting in chair for scope and showed my DH the same thing. Told him to look at how red in spots/purple in spots. It was really cold outside but we'd been inside a good while (yet exam room was a little cool so I kept coat on). I told him that I'd bet my feet were purple. Looking at the insides of my fingers they were blue to bluish purple while the dorsal parts of the hand were more reddish.