Long Day... But K Is Now Inpatient At Duke

We had a long night with her, but we managed. Called Duke clinic at 8:30 to get her an appointment today. They called back at lunchtime with a bed for her instead. So... here we are. She had another 45 minute run of PVCs but they were right on it and drew labs as soon as it started. She came out of it on her own and is resting peacefully.

We know we'll be here until Monday at least. They plan to just watch her closely and track her meds/responses to the meds and then go from there when her doctor returns Monday. We are ALL much more relaxed now that we are here!

I should clarify - her name is Kayleigh, we just call her Kaybers every now and again!

She is 16 - 17 on July 26th. She is still having PVCs and they think that they are somehow related to the POTS. She had GI come see her and they are gong to do a test Monday where they watch something go through her system after she swallows it to see if her stomach/GI is involved as well. Mornings are her best few hours of the day and as the day progresses she just drains and then the PVCs start.

They give her great care here and every doctor we have seen has been so helpful and understanding! I've had my ups and downs. I drove 2 hours back home last night to get some rest, my husband stayed here. Leaving her was the hardest thing and I cried half the way home, then cried when I got home. Just emotionally drained... but today I feel a bit more refreshed. Can't wait till her doc gets here Monday!

K's doctor came back in to town tonight (her EP Cardiologist, Dr. Kanter). He called the floor tonight to check on Kayleigh and it just happened to be when she was in bigeminy for almost an hour! He was supposed to come in Monday, but decided to come TOMORROW instead! Love that man! So - we should know more then!

K is scheduled for a "Radioisotope Gastric Emptying Test" tomorrow. I'm assuming it's to see if the Dysautonomia/POTS/NCS is affecting her GI system. Sounds like it could take a while??? Said she'll swallow something with this dye in it and they watch it go through her system picture by picture. Couldn't that take several hours?

I just found something interesting yesterday because the last two days I've been symptomatic with eating. I'm going to start a new post. This doesn't affect me all the time so that part is strange. It is also confusing because I think I am having an allergic reaction to food when it happens at times and I have myself narrowed down to such a small safe food list I don't have much to choose from but it's basically what caused my weight loss and my fear of food.

My son had the same test at Duke and it took a little while but his system is really fast so the dye moved thru in 20 minutes. But of course you have to set up everything so I guess it took about 1 1/2 at the most for us. But we had the test done about 3 - 4 years ago. I remember the person doing the test telling me that my son's system was very fast.

I hope things get better for everybody and Kayleigh stabilizes. Please keep us posted.

I will be praying for you and your family.

Hope

Kabers momma:

I've been following your post about our daughter.... as i was very sickly at her age as well. Also, we had a situation were my niece was born at 1 lb and 3 ozs...... she was in NICU for almost a year, had many failed surgeries and died several times but was shocked back..... in the end, doctors from the hospital and docs from another nicu at another local hospital were fighting over what to do next cuz niece had an illostomy bag (cant remember how to spell it)...... finally, my sister basically grabbed up her baby and drove 7 hours to vanderbilt... they done one surgery and she was fine ever since..... so i can relate... sorta.....

i know that is off subject..... just know that you arent alone and even though some of us havent posted, like me, do know that we are thinking of you and your daughter, as well as praying...... when i cant pray, it is those prayers of others for me that gets me through..... at least, that's what i like to believe......

keep your chin up!!!! You are doing a great job with all of this!!!

hugs to you and your daughter!

tennille

Sounds like K is already in the midst of her test. When I did that test at Mayo, it took a full day (my stomach emptied really fast but the rest of my guts were quite slow). However, if you have severe emptying issues then it can take up to 3 days. But I would be scanned every 2 hours and could leave between tests. Hope she continues to get answers!

Hugs to you... I'm glad you were able to get some rest in your own bed. I'm sure K relies on you more than anyone, and you have to be strong for her while ignoring your own fatigue and worry. It sounds to me like she has the best mom in the world!