Give the Best pre-Surgery Advice...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emily, yu are a real trooper! I am glad you were able to eat some yesterday. How about sleeping during all this waiting? Poor or no sleep makes me feel 10 times worse. Even though my upcoming procedure pales in comparison to your surgery, it is still a first for me and I find that every time I put my head on the pillow, all I do is THINK. After 4 nights of poor sleep, I gave in Wed and decided to take something every night until I am through my hospital visit.

Emily, did you get to meet with ANYone from anesthesiology at all? I know that the anesthesia is a big concern for all of us and you (like me) prefer to have all the details done in advance. Kathleen, in another surgery post, said she gave her doctor and anest. papers from DINET about her condition and it really helped.

So if you want to eliminate that concern of waiting til the day of surgery by calling your surgeon's office, ask which anest. group he uses and get the number. Then call and tell them you would like to talk with someone Mon or Tues. It doesn't have to be the exact person who will be with you Wed but someone who knows how to intrepret your needs and note your chart. My hospital anest. group was very easy to talk to and an MD actually answered the phone and he asked questions about my health and then agreed that I will meet with someone the day before the procedure.

The anest. even KNEW what dysautonomia is!! Which makes me think....of all the medical personnel, doesn't it make sense for anesthesiologist to know about the autonomic system? Oh, well, I digress.

Emily, take care of yourself! Hugs.

If it's any consolation (which I doubt it would be, since I know how much you were looking forward to meeting your anaesthesiologist in advance and getting every detail worked out), I didn't meet mine until 10 minutes before surgery. (Of course, I hadn't been diagnosed yet ... ) All that's to say, I'm hoping (of course!) that it'll be OK for you ... the fact that your surgeon has already talked by phone to your POTS doc and knows the score and how to take care of you during surgery speaks volumes! I'm curious about why you had a pre-op blood draw. Were they doing typing or something that hadn't been done before? (I'm B+, by the way, which I just love--be positive...)

take 'er easy, em. thinking of you,

m

Emily,

I couldn't think of much more to add than what's been said except that time goes so fast- soon it will be a month from now and you will be looking back and being so glad that it's been a month already and that you are feeling so good and well-nourished too.

Also I thought you could use a couple of very silly jokes. These are from Nicole:

First Joke: A skeleton goes into a bar and says "I'll have a beer . . . . . . and a mop!"

Botta bing botta bang :P:):lol:

Now for the second joke (which has been modified a bit to fit your latest experience with that stupid doctor):

How many stupid doctors does it take to make chocolate chip cookies?

The answer is two.

One to mix the dough and the other to peel the M&M's. :lol::lol::lol:

Botta bing . . .

Anyway- take care for now. Hang in there.

Bev :)

Guest tearose

Hi gigi! Count me in for the Spa! I'm bringing homemade cookies! Dozens and dozens! :P

You sound a bit bored so help us plan the spa...

We'll be adding on the day-care wing while you are recuperating Emily. We must get Mary out of the house and have someone to watch Marrissa. And then all those others with kids like Jessica, Mindy... Amy...and Kristen...can come too. Maybe we'll get earthmother to lead a meditation class and Gena will teach us all about nutrition and health. We'll have manicures, massages, and cute physical physical therapists. Warm swimming pools. We' ll have to build a chicken coop cause Gayla loves to watch her birds. We'll have a computer tutorial cause Merrill needs to re learn how to save things on the computer. We need mouse to take anger management class so she stops nipping ankles.

Now you have to pitch in here and tell us what one thing every person needs!

We'll take care of everyone's wishes and needs so nobody can't come!!! :)

That should keep you busy and I'm having fun with this . What do you think?

hugs, tearose

geneva, steph, beverly, tearose and merrill...

all great posts! both good tips and funny anectodes! :P both healing!

one question for you surgery pros...

does the surgeon communicate with the anaesthesiogist before the surgery? since the surgeon did talk to the pots doc about everything, does that mean things should be under control? who is in charge? the surgeon or anaesthesiologist?

i will probably try to call on monday to see if i can talk to someone...but otherwise...i'll keep in mind that it seems to work out fine to meet right before surgery too...

i am not scared about the surgery part...only the anaesthesiology...i am just afraid of any meds after so many bad reactions...TERRIFIED might be a better word...but i am working on BREATHING, confronting my fears, letting go, etc. etc...and listening to my cds...

and also the after effects...trying not to go there though...

tea...you are right...i am a little bored. i hate that...it is so hard to distract yourself when you feel so lousy...you know? i was able to look at the tv some tonight. i'm not typically the type of person who gets bored.

i did get some food down today...the old jewish chicken soup..so that is good and lots of fluids.

as for the SPA...since i am going to be the knitting queen after all of these quiet days before and after surgery...i will bring handmade face cloths made out of a snuggly soft chenille yarn...how does that sound?

you stay on the cookies tea.

your other ideas were soooo funny. you really cracked me up...

also, i suggest recliners to get manicures in so that you can recline while getting your manicure! :)

hmmmm....what else???? i will keep working on it...

oh, beverly and nicole will provide stan-up/sit down comics...

ah-ha...i've got it!

two more things...

a chef who can accommodate all of our crazy dietary needs!

and, a separate area for caregivers (my mommy, beverly, etc) to go and get spa treatment too!

later alligators!

still green,

emily

Guest Julia59

Emily,

I just wanted to send you good wishes for your surgery tomorrow.

I'll be thinking about you ----and wishing healing thoughts.

I know things will turn out great, and your green face will finally go away.

Hang in there a little while longer----good luck tomorrow----- :):):)

Julie :0)

Guest Mary from OH

Emily,

Just wanted to let you know that you will be in my prayers during your surgery and recovery tomorrow. If you have someone that is able to post for you, that would be great!! I am such a worrier!! I KNOW that everything will turn out fine!! It sounds like you are in very good hands. Relax, ask for meds if you need them and ask any questions you feel like you need to!! And don't be afraid to tell them you want to stay overnight if that's not "in the plan". Insist on it. I've made that mistake more than once only to find out later that I could have stayed. You will be very happy soon!! Focus on that!!

Lots of HUGS and PRAYERS!!!!

:)

Guest tearose

In case you didn't see this on the other thread,

I wish you a "happy gallbladder out day"!

Emily, You are only green till tomorrow!

I wanted to remind you again that you have my prayers and love and light flowing and surrounding you and lots of us geeks are doing the same!!!

We'll look forward to hearing from you real soon...

((HUGS)), tearose