Give the Best pre-Surgery Advice...

Sorry, Merrill, I stole your topic title.

Oh, AND WIN SOME CELERY TOO! ;)

I am sorry to be such a piggy about posting lately...I hope I won't need so much advice very soon and can just be supporting you all!

Anyway, thank you all for everything so far. I cannot tell you how much it is helping me get through this.

Now that I know it is my gallbladder...I need help with the next step..

I know that hearing from your experiences will be invaluable to me. Since doctors so often assume that I am 29 and must just be healthy b/c I 'look fine' (even when I am celery green?), they don't take me seriously. Grrrrrrrrr...

Now for the important stuff. My mind is racing. I need to chill it out.

So here are my questions:

***1. ANESTHESIA: What exactly are the risks for POTS patients? Is there anything in particular I need to request? This is the part I am most afraid of (b/c I won't be conscious and can't yell at the doctor that he is messing up! :)) Do we need less medicine than others? I am very confused on this part of the puzzle. It seems many of you do okay with general anesthesia.

***2. FLUIDS AND ARTERIAL PIC LINE: My POTS doctor emphasized plenty of fluids. Nina said get an arterial pic line (and I will get the lidocaine!). Have others had an arterial pic line also? Is this crucial?

(our neighbor is an ER dr. and I talked to him today and he said, oh you are going to have a hard time getting them to give you that and treat you like a cardiac patient and blah de blah. I swear, I am 0-4 with doctors)

3. BREATHING TUBE WITH NECK PROBLEMS: You have a breathing tube right? So, how do you do this if it kills you to tilt your head back and creates POTS symptoms?

4. DID YOU STAY OVERNIGHT?

5. MEDS, COMPRESSION HOSE? How does this work? I take a lot of meds that I cann't be without. Will I still be able to take them? What about the hose to those of you wear them every day without fail?

***6. THE SURGEON: What do I need to ask? What do I most need to be sure of when I leave the visit with him? Do you use the term POTS or something else...like I have changes in BP and need fluids? When I say POTS I usually get a look of complete duncity.

I think I am just so hyper-vigilant about things and like things to be in place...but this is a bit last minute b/c of the need to get the gallbladder out. I do not know if I will be able to choose the surgeon or the anesthesiologist.

I am sure that the surgeons in our town are competent. But, after reading previous posts on surgery, I am scared about them handling POTS.

I guess my question is...how risky is the anesthesia and the surgery for us??? Or, as long as I get fluids and get that point across, I should just get the darn thing out and not worry so much about the surgeon etc? I am not clear on HOW risky this is or how careful I need to be about choosing the surgeon.

I need to go in armed and ready to fight for what I need. I am also going to print what you write and give it to my mom so that if we have to go for ER surgery or something we are prepared. (The doctor said if I had another attack I would have to go to the ER and just get the 'ol thing out).

Am I crazy to get this done locally? I will make sure the surgeon talks to the POTS doctor first.

I am starting to get to the point where I just want the darn thing out! But, I also don't want to let that cloud my judgment.

Merrill has hooked me up with Belleruth cds to keep me calm before and after! Yeah! (Now, how does that work? Do I bring my own cd player or what?)

As you can tell, besides being the celery green I am very green about hospital stays and surgery!

I know you are all as pooped as I am, SO thank you in advance for reading and helping me through this.

I KNOW that your thoughts and prayers are working! Not to mention that they mean the world to me.

Okay, I'm worn out now. Whew.

Later (green) alligators!

emily

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Emily. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery ... so I don't mind! And you can keep the celery, by the way...even if I win, which I probably won't. .. but I'll give 'er the ol' college try anyway, and share my 2 cents about surgery. (PS in advance: I'm sorry this came out so long! Oy!)

My surgery experience: I had general anaesthesia July '03 to remove what turned out to be a dermoid tumor from an ovary. I hadn't been diagnosed w/pots at time of surgery...the anaesthesiologist asked me in pre-op interview "Does your heart always beat this fast?" and I said yes and she jotted something down and that was that. (I've had several surgical procedures done w/twilight sleep as well...but that's not what you're asking about.)

Here goes. 1) Re: anaesthesia--my best advice there is to make sure the anaesthesiologist understands why your heart is beating fast...If s/he hasn't heard of pots, use dysautonomia, orthostatic intolerance or hypotension ... other words s/he'll surely know and understand. You won't have time in the pre-op interview to get into too much detail--nor do you need to. There's nothing really to request (although I do remember telling my anaesthesiologist when I met her that she was my new best friend ... and I asked her to please keep me comfortable during the surgery and to make sure I wake up when it's over! You can ask for that ... fair's fair!) BTW, you don't need less medicine than other people--or more--simply because you have pots.

2) I don't know a thing about arterial pic lines. What is that? I just had regular IV. They hooked me up as soon as they took me back to the pre-op space. (Unfortunately, in recovery, they forgot to hook me back up to the IV. This was rather unfortunate for me...I was there a lot longer than I needed to be as a result and I felt crappy until they reconnected me.) The lidocaine ... are you talking about the numbing agent at point of entry for the IV? Yes, that's a good idea--and I think standard...

3) You will definitely have a breathing tube... but keep these things in mind: it's an essential part of the procedure and it will keep you alive! The tube is your friend! And I don't think putting it in or taking it out will do a thing to your neck. You will already be unconscious, and you'll have no awareness of it any point before, during, or after--other than some soreness/scratchiness for something like 8-12 hours afterwards. Your throat will heal incredibly quickly and you will wonder why you were so worried about this part.

Emily, thinking about the tube caused me enormous anxiety before my surgery. I wish someone had said some of these things to me ... so PLEASE try not to think about it or worry too much about it. You might consider talking to your doc about whether taking some xanax now would be OK--and whether you can take it the morning of your procedure. (I didn't have any. ;) ) You won't be allowed to eat or drink anything for a number of hours (12?), which is hard, so I don't know about swallowing pills. Ask.

4) My surgery was outpatient ... but I was there about 12 hours (partly b/c of the IV mess up. You have to pee before they let you go and I was pretty dehydrated!) I think someone said gallbladder was often done outpatient these days. Much will depend on what happens in the moment--they'll want you to be comfortable, and they won't let you go if you're unable to pee or walk on your own or if you're sick to your stomach (which you won't be--think positive). Just go with the flow and be prepared mentally for any eventuality. Things will happen the way they happen, and you'll have little control.

5) The meds question is for your doctors to sort out, tho others here I'm sure will share their experiences. As for the hose, you won't wear them during surgery ... but it's an interesting question b/c I'll bet it'll be tough to get them on and off for a few weeks post-op. Can you get along w/out them if you're mostly lying around w/occasional walks to the bathroom, fridge, or front door? You don't wear them to sleep now, do you? (I can't remember, do you wear thigh highs or to the waist?) I wonder what other people have done? My guess would be you'll go without and just have increased heart rate etc. Livable symptoms, compared to what you've been going through.

6) The surgeon? Hmmm... can't help you there. Pick one that's removed a couple hundred gallbladders ... that'd be my advice! Nothing beats experience...

Yes--bring your own portable cd player to the hospital. People will look at you with curiosity and wonder--just tell them you're listening to a meditation tape that will ensure successful surgery and a postive attitude on your part. ... There should be no problem at all with having it during surgery...tell one of the nurses what to do, where the play button is, etc.

Believe it or not, after all this, I can still think of more details and more that I want to say. But it's after midnight and it's been a long day and I'm exhausted. I'll probably dream about the nice doctor(?) who came up to me while I was in recovery when he saw that I was crying and he put his hand on my arm and it was sooo comforting. (I think I was happy I was alive and also scared b/c all those people disappeared while I was sleeping post-op and I needed some reassurance!)

I remember being impressed by how many people--professionals all--were involved with my little operation, and you will be too. Remember that they are all there to do their work competently and efficiently, and they will all be working to ensure your safety and a successful outcome. You are their raison d'etre during surgery... and you will feel attended to and safe.

Remember too that you will be surrounded by your "magical band of allies," and that includes all of us here at DINET! We will be there with you in spirit... and everything good will happen. Be cool, kiddo. :)

Merrill

an arterial line and an arterial pic line are different things... a pic line is probably not necessary. Lidocaine will only be needed if you're awake when the put in the a-line. I was not awake for that for most of my procedures. The IV is relatively painless, just brief sting.

Typically, a surgeon will have will take your regular daily meds prior to surgery with a small amount of fluid

If you've not had spinal surgery, I wouldn't worry about being intubated. I've been intubated many times without problems...and at least 3 times since my spinal surgery--for those who are post c-spine fusion, they have a fiberoptic scope they use to introduce the tube.

If you read through old posts on surgery and anesthesia, you'll see that most docs don't feel you're at any additional risk from surgery, other than a drop of bp or hr, which is why they'll have the a-line available.

Nina

Guest tearose

I'm even starting to turn green with all the talk of celery!

And, "with respect" (uh oh here I go...) maybe merrill was gonna do a topic on the Spa but it was my idea first! ;)

What do I have to do for a cookie??? Well, okay, we can all share in the thrill of the new dinet spa. There will be plenty of room and cookies for everyone so no body has to be pushy!

(maybe I should bake myself a batch and shut up already with the cookie envy!!!)

Now for more suggestions:

I'v been through several surgery experiences here is what helped me.

Take a small pillow for your tummy. When you want to cough or laugh it will help you feel stronger if you gently hold the pillow to your belly. You may think you are gonna sneeze and open your belly button BUT you really won"t!

Do bring slipper socks and a cozy robe...we tend to feel cold so have what will warm you.

Don't waste energy on worry. Talk to the surgeon and anesthesiologist, even if just by phone before your surgery! It will help you feel confident. It will remind the doctors that you are an individual, not a "case", a unique person and you appreciate them taking care of you. Make it personal! I asked my surgeon if he wouldn't mind being sure he got a good night sleep and would say a little prayer or positive meditation on my behalf. He laughed with a warm fuzzy laugh and promised he would. I think he appreciated my honesty! I said to the anesthesiologist Please help me get to sleep so I don't remember any of this, but make sure you wake me up...there are a lot of things I want to do yet! He reassured me he'd bring me back!

What I'm saying em, is confront any of your fears, address them and then let them GO!

The pain you already have endured and this preparation is much longer than the upcoming surgery and recuperation period!

Start thinking of a healing sentence...example "all is going smoothly and I will heal wonderfullly" Begin saying it to yourself now and repeat it a couple of times a day. Ask the anesthesiologist and surgeon to say it to you while your "out". These positive statements were shown to actually help people heal better and faster from surgery in studies done by Columbia University Hospital!

I do believe you are going to do wonderfully Emily! I visualize you having an easy time of it and getting on with your routine in a short time. You know we all will be surrounding you with our love and healing thoughts and prayers/meditations.

You have a special place in my heart. You are a loving, nurturing person and now it is time to take care of yourself!

You are going to grow old and grey so picture yourself 50 years from now and keep your chin up!

Sending you loads of love, hugs and healing light...tearose

hello all,

those posts were FABULOUS! AMAZING! SO HELPFUL! what else can i say? thanks for typing all that out.

tea...i know you are the dinet spa person...it's such a fun idea! i mean't the 'solve the puzzle, win something' part was merrill's idea.

believe it or not, after reading your posts i now feel really good. i feel ready and much calmer. just knowing what to ask, what to expect, etc. helps so much. i really appreciated all the tips, down to bringing slippers (very important for our cold tootsies). i feel better knowing you all made it through fine with the anaesthesia, and overall just knowing the process from start to finish. really, really helpful.

the update today...still celery green. still feeling awful. but am knitting some and listening to a book on tape in between resting. am still able to eat chicken soup with some chicken so i think i am staying strong enough in that regard. i just feel and look awful, but i know it will be over soon. it's crazy b/c i can tell my body is all toxic...you know? my hair is usually shiny and healthy, now it's all brown and drab and i feel so greasy and yucky. my body will be so much happier when the darn thing is out!

mom and i have called folks to get info on surgeons and i am feeling better there too.

one last question i forgot to ask...

PAIN MEDS...any special considerations there? like no percocet or no such and such? or smaller doses?

also...NINA...is an a-line standard procedure? just a regular IV? or is it something special.

sounds like as long as i have a decent surgeon, lots of fluids and good meditation techniques, i will be okay.

i am not even worried about the pain. b/c i know i can get through it after all of this!

YOU ALL CALMED MY FEARS SO MUCH. I FELT BETTER RIGHT AFTER I POSTED LAST NIGHT, B/C I KNEW I WAS IN GOOD HANDS WITH YOU ALL!

thanks!!! i'm ready to get the darn thing out!

emily

Emily, even I felt calmer for YOU after reading all the wonderful information posted above. Sounds like you and your mom are making the best use of your time and making inquiries. I am sorry you are still feeling so bad but knowing that once the gb is out must help some.

I have not had surgery since POTS so I don't have anything to add in that regard so I will go for a little humor. I did have an outpatient surgery the year before pots and I can add: definitely talk to you surgeon and anesthiologist the day of surgery....reassure them this is not just a routine experience for YOU (although you are glad it is for them) and ask them to take good care of you. I too joked with them asking the surgeon if he had stayed up late watching our NFL team in an overtime game....he laughed and said yes, but he quit drinking in the 3rd quarter!! Then I turned to the anesthesiogist (50ish years old) and asked if he was one of those trainees I read about in the pre-op papers I signed. He laughed out loud (he was very nice) but the nurse was indignant, informing me he was the head of anesthesiology!! I told him he would do and he thanked me!! Then I asked if he would mind putting in my IV since the nurse had tried twice unsuccessfully and he was very gentle and I never felt a thing.

That was my first out patient experience and unlike you, I didn't have others who could help me visualize step by step what to expect. This may sound ridiculous....but....the thing that freaked me out the MOST was that I had to walk....on my jello legs.... to the OR. If that is common practice in other hospitals, demand a wheelchair!!

Do you have an appt tomorrow with your doctor??? Rest well!

No an a-line is not standard procedure for most short procedures--however, it is often standard for patients with a history of heart problems. Dr. Grubb is the one who suggested I be treated as a cardiac patient. That's pretty much all you need to tell them...they know what to do (i.e. look for changes in hr and bp).

and the gb surgery is often done now in outpatient centers, without an overnight stay. I probably could have gone home, but like I said, it was only a year or two into the availability of the laproscopic procedure. I slept better at home the next day. I only stayed overnight and was discharged by 10am the next morning.

There are no special precautions with regard to pain meds, that I'm aware of. I had a morphine pump after my spinal surgery... and I was given morphine after my gb surgery. It helped with the pain.

Hi again Emily,

You asked whether to use the term POTS or something else. I have found through personal experience that "POTS" get you nowhere. Saying dysautonomia or a disorder of the autonomic nervous system has been more beneficial for me when I have had to visit the ER. One resident told me that POTS was not in their computer at the hospital but that she could find info on dysautonomia. I believe that nina recently wrote that she had similar experiences. Also, I remember reading a post a long time ago where someone suggested saying that the ANS disorder is neurocardiogenic in origin....at least that is what I recall!! (not sure if I spelled that right????)

oooohhhhh...the competition is really tight! i don't know...maybe we could all go to the spa together! and tea will provide the cookies? who wants celery? not merrill!

i did read previous posts on surgery and aneasthesia, but i have to say, you all have outdone yourselves and i learned so much more today from you all. thanks...

i'm ready for monday morning so i can start making the phone calls!

keep the suggestions coming! ;)

steph...it's so nice to have you on board here! i missed you! :(

thanks geneva! you made me get teary-eyed! actually you all did! :) thanks.

emily

Geneva, I think I walked to the OR too! I'd forgotten that part ... I certainly didn't walk out! ;)

And Emily ... it's funny, once you get in there, things happen so fast ... all these different people, each with a job to do--including one person strapping on these funny leg/foot-squeezing boots. I loved that part...she strapped em on, turned on the machine, checked to be sure I could feel the squeezing (helps with circulation during surgery ... it's like wearing compression hose in motion and feels great ... but within moments, the anaesthesiologist did her work and out I went.) I don't know if you'll get these, but if you do, think of me and smile. Then press the play button and enjoy the ride.

I didn't take heavy-duty pain meds afterwards; I stuck with 600-800 mg of ibuprofen at a time and fared pretty well with that. I don't like pain medication. But I'm sure I loved what they gave me in the IV!!! Everyone's different, tho! I'd like to say more about the recoup part, but now's not the time. (I can tell you're like me, Em, and do better with more information and details than less.)

Take 'er easy--and good luck w/your information-gathering tomorrow.

m

Hi Emily,

I think you are going to get through this surgery with flying colors - you have received an enormous amount of wonderful advice from the "pros" on this forum and it sounds like you are going to ask a lot of questions. You have read past posts and it sounds like you will be well prepared.

I've been thinking a lot about what to post myself as I don't know a lot about POTS and surgery. However - I did think of something that hasn't been mentioned that I've heard it happens sometimes and I thought it would be good to mention it.

There is sometimes a possibility and this is only likely if you go out of your town to a bigger hospital- like a teaching hospital whereby- sometimes - surgeons allows a student/ resident to perform or help perform O.R. procedures while the surgeon oversees. I'm sure that you would not want this and you might want to ask about this ahead of time of your surgeon.

Also, I liked a suggestion that you got along the way to make sure the surgeon has performed hundreds of gall bladder removals. It is such a common procedure but you might want to make sure the person is very experienced.

Again, still and always thinking those good thoughts. . . Wish you felt better now and not so green but after that gall bladder comes out you'll probably feel better than you have in a long, long time.

Beverly :)

Guest Mary from OH

Emily,

Everyone's already had great advice, so I'm not going to reiterate any of that, I just wanted to add a few things...

You can ask for some meds when you are waiting "pre-surgery". I know for me this is a very difficult time for me. Waiting for the drs to get ready, etc. They can give you a mild sedative or something in your IV. It helps you not want to go out of your mind and your HR go skyrocketing.

Also, from my many surgeries. I know that I am extremely uncomfortable with the mask they use during surgery and the operating room itself. I have them start giving me meds as soon as they have me hooked up to machines. Then they can put the mask on and do whatever they need to do! It just makes me feel more comfortable.

The drs are really good about talking with you about your "needs" as long as you express them. I have had MANY surgeries, not knowing I had POTS. They just asked about my HR and I said, it's always that high. They also attributed it to pain. LOL!

You WILL be ok. Just be sure to express yourself and let your needs be known. IMHO a general is best because you will not know what is going on and the drs can do their job. You will wake up and feel much better. They have IV access and you are hooked up to monitors constantly. If you are "awake" your nerves can get the best of you, especially if it is your first time.

Best wishes!! You will be ok!! I promise!!

A veteran of many surgeries... I look like a roadmap!! :)

Guest Julia59

Emily,

What can I say. Everyone has given you such valuable advice.

One thing I can do is tell you---if I can do it, you can---LOL

I was out for 4 1/2 hours for the surgery on my neck. I was surprized when I woke up and my husband told me how long I was in surgery.

They did not use an arterial line on me---but I talked to the anesthesiologist about POTS and told her that is was a form of dysautonomia which is dysfunction of the ANS. She assured me that I was in good hands. She was a student, but was working with another anesthesiologist who was very experienced. I was stable throughout the surgery without any problems.

That was really good, because I had not been under anesthesia since 1977 when I had my tonsils out at 18 years of age. Now that was rough. Not the actual surgery---that was fine----the healing took so long--and very painful----much worse then my neck surgery. Not good to get tonsils out when your older.

When I woke up from my neck surgery the nurse was telling me she liked my toe nail polish----sparkley pink-sparkles make it last longer. I also walked to the OR room. They gave me something in my IV line first. It took immediate affect and I barely remember walking there-----the next thing I knew---the toe nail polish compliments.

I never did touch the Morphine pump as I have very poor tolerance to pain meds. Extra strength tylenol was it for me. Actually the pain wasn't that bad and I was fine. The throat pain after the tonsils was probably the worst pain outside of my broken coccyx after the birth of my son.

Now then I took percodan--(spelling?) because I couldn't walk-sit-stand---nothing. It only took a couple of weeks to heal-----but that area has never been the same. The pain I get now is managable with tylenol and ice packs. Some days can get bad---and on those days I just don't move much. My neuro-symptoms, fatigue/weakness are worse then the pain.

But the Percodan-------------made my mood pretty ugly. I was younger and tolerated it a little better---but it took my appetite away---but I didn't get nauseated. When I got home after the birth of my son I was so moody and I complained the house wasn't clean enough--so I started cleaning---lol. I'll bet without the percodan---I wouldn't have done that. Am I rambling or what? LOL

I'll bet you forgot all about your surgery! LOL

You hang in there you will be fine--I know it. And the surgery shouldn't take long at all. And the best part----you can eat again----yum-yum----real food.

I'll be praying for you.

Julie :0) :):):)

thanks y'all...

i really mean that. i log on here first thing every day. and any moment i think i can sit up for a second.

today is the worst day yet...you know, you keep thinking you can't feel worse.

just wanted to let you know where things stand since you all have been so concerned.

I HAVE AN APPT. WITH A SURGEON TOMORROW AT 3:15.

GO MOM! she called first thing this morning and they said, 'oh our first appt. is january 26th.' mom said, 'no, she cannot eat and is in pain, she cannot wait that long.' the receptionist said she would speak with the dr. well, you know how that is...you never know if they will follow through.

but, the did and this surgeon has come very highly recommended to us over and over again. we called several people and they all said he was wonderful. so, that is the scoop.

meanwhile, my own drs. office, who always stays 'in network' called later and said the earliest i could meet with a surgeon was friday! and it wasn't a surgeon i heard any accolades about (nothing negative on him...).

so, i am feeling very thankful and blessed about this at the moment, b/c he is good and i will be in good hands. i hope i feel that way after i meet him tomorrow!

now, just to stay calm and remember to BREATHE!!!! :) taking levsin and trying to wait it out...

thank you...i printed everything and had my mom read through it too (is that a violation? i hope not....will i get kicked off now????) so that we could be sure to be on the same wavelength about what was needed.

thanks again.

i gotta rest....

emily

Guest tearose

Thanks Emily's mom! We sure are glad you are there for Emily!

Hope this doctor passes the test tomorrow! Tell him you want to know what he studied in medical school... Ask if he got an "A" in gallbladders. If he smiles and laughs and says yes, he's got my vote!

I think this is the home stretch, keep hanging in there, tearose

Emily, thanks so much for taking the time to keep all of us updated when I know you don't really feel well at all. It is so wonderful to have your Mom as your best advocate, especially at a time when you are feeling a little green. I hope that this surgeon turns out to be one that you can trust. I predict that if he/she is the one, you will reduce your stress level just a smidge.

Keeping you in my thoughts!

thanks tea...

i haven't even been able to post today b/c i just don't even want to tell you all my news...:P

the surgeon's office called at 1 to say he could not see me today b/c he had been called in to emergency surgery. could i come tomorrow at 2.

so i wait...

i am not very good at waiting. but, i am knitting a little and listening to a book on tape, resting, and listening to my pre-surgery cds by belleruth.

i feel calmer about everything, just very antsy to get the show on the road here.

my PCP's office also called to see if i could come for an appt. tomorrow morning.

so, i know have appts. with two different surgeons.

i don't know how i will do it energy-wise. and my mom has to teach tomorrow and can't go with me to the second appt., which is so hard. big bummer. i don't want her to cancel classes yet though...want her to save those up for surgery and recovery!

so, that's the scoop.

SHOULD I GO TO BOTH SURGEON APPTS AND JUST SEE WHO I LIKE/TRUST BETTER AND WHO CAN GET ME IN FASTER?

ANY TIPS...while waiting...if i don't eat anything i feel better in terms of pain, nausea, etc. but then feel weaker of course. if i eat i get the GB stuff...oh what to do! am taking the levsin nina!

okay, that's it. sorry for the whine. and now i will have a LOT of posts to catch up on too!

will report back after my appts. tomorrow...just thought i'd update you all! thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. you are in mine too...

on the surgery cd you picture you 'band of allies' with you, watching over you...and you are all there! :)

the celery-green girl,

emily

Guest tearose

We are gonna start calling you g g (said french like though) Gi'Gi' as in green girl with a flair! :P

Okay, so YES go check them both out!!!! Don't ya understand, the universe is sending you a subtle message...so listen to it! Go see who got the better grade in gallbladders! DO NOT worry about the warm fuzzy side as much as the skill and confidence and ease you feel when you "interview" them. Your mom will be the warm fuzzy. My read on this right now is: either you are going to pick the other surgeon or you are just going to build up all your confidence that the original one is correct. It is a win, win situation! When you look back on this ordeal you will remember that you made the best choice you could and then went forward! Since the gallbladder is just hanging on waiting...go and follow your instincts!!!

Sending you gentle assertiveness and confidence and some knitting yarn, tearose

Dear Emily,

Sorry you are still feeling so bad. I wiah ou the best on your search for the doc that will help you.

I only have a few things to say. I was treated as a cardiac patient also. And I went in 2 hours early to get some extra IV fluids as my Bp drops so fast. I got one 2 liter bag before surgery and 2 more during to keep my bp up. I had a pic-line put in because I have very small and had to get veins.

I wish you the best.

Blackwolf

Hi Emily, I can tell from your "tone" that you are disappointed that you didn't get in today and I can certainly understand why you would be but tomorrow is just around the corner. My vote....since you asked....is to go to both appointments. If I understand correctly, your mom can go to the first appt with you. If so, take mental notes on the things SHE brings up so that you can ask those also in the afternoon. My personal criteria....after you know they have done a bunch of gb surgeries.....is how YOU FEEL they are listening to YOUR needs....which face it....are a little different than everyone else who walks through the door. Of course, remember that surgeons, think THEY are pretty special too (LOL)

While it would be great if your mom could go to both, remember Emily, YOU CAN DO THIS!! You are smart, you have done your homework, you know what your needs are, and you will know whether the surgeon is the one for you. Trust your instincts.

I am so glad the levsin is helping you. I do well with it too. But I know how you enjoy food so just think when this is over you will be back to sharing your dinner menus with us.....mmm.....you and your mom are very good cooks!!

Now, just to build your ego....which clearly needs it, Miss EM!! you know I put off my colonoscopy til after the first of the year?? Well it is on for later this month. I have been tempted to reschedule due to feeling poorly but I keep thinking....hey, look what Emily is going through and how crappy she feels....I can do this simple little test....so see you are a motivator. Now, be good to yourself and go in tomorrow with all the confidence you can muster!!! Hugs, hugs and more hugs.