Feel Like I Have Way Too Much Adreneline

icesktr189

What would be the cause of WAY too much free standing adrenaline in your system at all times? When i am driving, if someone honks or startles me, my adrenaline sky rockets, i get out of breathe, very dizzy, can feel the ice cold feeling all through my body. I am always on the verge of a panic attack, but i dont have anxiety. I cant take beta blockers because i am doing allergy shots right now and they would disqualify me. Any suggestions? This is a horrible feeling. One minute im okay then if i get the least bit startled, its a huge adrenaline attack.

see last time Lexapro was a miracle for me. They didnt think i had anxiety, but way too little seritonin and the anti depressant helped with my POTS. I dont have that option now because the first month is horrible for me and i have to watch my daughter everyday.

I am going to go to an endocrinologist but i already know they will tell me my adrenaline levels are way to high again. I want to know the reason because my blood pressure is good.. it just doesnt make sense why this is happening again :/

hey dani, I have the same issue. When I talk or stand my norepi almost triples. I am seeing an autoimmune neurologist here in az. He did a skin biopsy to look for small fiber damage. Small fiber nerves control the autonomic and periferal nerves. The damaged nerves in the blood vessels don't contract when you stand to push the blood up against graviety. Your blood pools, then your body goes into flight/fight mode, shooting off extra norepi/adrenaline, to constrict your blood vessels. So the adrenaline/norepi is sort of a back up system to constrict the blood vessels to get oxygen to the brain. Since we are shooting off extra adrenline already, throw in a little scare and we are over the top.

I'm still trying to work out how best to treat it. My neuro says my body is attacking my small fiber nerves, so it is autoimmune. I also have low immunoglobulins called common variable immune defeciency CVID or hypogammaglobulinemia. When you have CVID there is usually some sort of autoimmune disease associated with it. Mine appears to be autoimmune neuropathy of the small fiber nerves. But there can be celiac, arthritis, diabetes, or any other autoimmune illness. If you have a lot of respiratory, gi or female infections having quantitative immunogloblins checked is a good idea. A skin biopsy can rule out small fiber damage.

Right now because I have the two issues I am getting immune replacement with IVIG. I've noticed some improvement, but I also was having reactions to the ivig product carimune they just switched me to another ivig product called privigen and that seems to have solved that problem. My heart rate is much better, but I'm still having issues with standing BP being high. Trying to treat that has been harder, though it is lower then my high highs. I'll take a bp med when I go high, it's almost always still up in animated conversation. Hope this makes sense to you now and sort of answers your question about what is happening. Treating though is still a work in progress, it may take 6 months to a year of IVIG before I know if we are correcting the nerve damage. If that corrects then hopefully the Pots symptoms will go away too!

I have the same problem. I'm told adrenaline spikes are a common dysautonomia symptom, which can start up without reason and most certainly after being startled. I've been told my body is sensitive to adrenaline and other stimulants such as caffeine, epinephrine and certain sugars. When I go to the dentist I need injections WITHOUT epinephrine. If I'm given an injection with epi I instantly start shaking and my heart rate goes through the roof!

My doctor taught me a form of deep breathing to help control the worst of my symptoms. Basically he has me take 10 deep breaths every couple of hours. I didn't believe it would work, but it's really helped to keep my blood pressure and heart rate back under control.

I have food allergies and intolerances and am also exquisitely sensitive to medications in general, so I never know how I'll react to a new food or medication the doctor wants me to try. I'm also hypoglycemic. I take Ativan (a benzodiasepam medication) to help control my panic symptoms (migraine, muscle spasm, tachycardia, irrational out of the blue fear).

One question ... I have you been tested for hypoglycemia? When my blood sugar gets too low the symptoms are the same as panic ... and you feel really rotten.

I am the same, too. Anything startles me way too easily. I have to avoid even good stress(family events, etc.) because the "excitement" of it just sends me into a spiral of adrenaline. Although, I did make it through the extended family Christmas and did enjoy it--with the help of a little extra Xanax! It seemed to make a big difference. Right now, and for the last few years, I have taken Xanax only at bedtime, or I would literally lay awake all night.

I don't tolerate a beta blocker for the adrenaline, but do tolerate the Xanax without it seeming to mess with my vital signs, sending them plunging. I don't know, how many others take some kind of benzo for anxiety/panic? I've taken it off/on for probably 10 years. I wonder if Xanax somehow has altered the adrenaline issue. I may start a poll if I find others here who have taken benzos.

Jeannika, I have hypoglycemia too, and it definitely does cause the adrenaline spike. It is really getting old!

I totally know what you mean about the good excitement. I feel like im becoming a recluse because i never want to go on road trips or anything from the adrenaline surges.

Firewatcher- I am definitely going to talk to my ENT because they are making me feel like i have to make a decision between the two. Obviously it will be the beta blocker beacuse i cant take the heart rate issues right now. Unfortunately they do nothing for the "anxiety" feelings. I just worry about going to my doctor and having him tell me i have anxiety issues again. I just know i dont because one minute im perfectly fine and the next im a total wreck.

arizona girl - Can you pm me the name of the cardiologist you are seeing? I would love to go to someone who has experience with autoimmune problems since it runs in my family. We have tons of Crohns disease, ulcertive colitis and many other autoimmune problems. I am looking into taking LDN because it has been really helping my mother with her Crohns. She is no longer on medications to treat it, and Mayo said that she is about 90 percent better. Small fiber damage would make sense because my symptoms started with the adrenaline surges. They are actually my main symptoms, more so than low blood pressure. Did the doctor tell you if you got that under control, that your POTS symptoms might disappear? I know that would make it secondary POTS, and that is what i am hoping i have because i dont have the "traditional" kind

I used to take Klonopin but I swore off that because of the heck it put me through trying to get off it. I reached tolerance and had to be admitted to the hospital because it was so bad. I was only on it for a year and a half taking it once a night. I am just too afraid of going through that again. But it did help greatly with my syptoms :[ I really wish i could take it again.

So you do deep breathing every couple hours and it really helps? I will try that.. i notice because my allergies are bad right now that i am not getting enough oxygen through my nose.

My biggest fear is that i will have to use my epi pen! i think i would rather risk the allergic reaction LOL.. kidding but i cant imagine getting a huge shot of epinephrine.. ugh does not sound fun with how i feel right now.

Dani,

I'm also seeing the neuro that arizona girl is seeing. He thought my small fiber would be abnormal, but it wasn't. Now, he's wanting to check my central nervous system with a spinal tap. I've postponed that because, I'm trying a complete diet change. I think that sensitivity to glutten, dairy and sugar is causing some of my autoimmune issues. My Igg was low too. I also have the hyper type. My bp doesn't drop bad except while lying. For the most part, my bp is a little more on the high side. My pulse rate is way high with prolonged standing. It does go always above the 40 point rise within the 10 minutes, but then it continues to climb and go up and down. It's really odd. I'm having so many sensitivities to foods and environmental things right now. So, I'm trying the diet to see if it will make a difference. I've been doing this for about 5 weeks now. I'm feeling allot better and my neuropathy in my legs is getting better. I'm feeling the sheets of the bed for the first time in over a year and I'm not having to wear my support hose to sleep in - my legs aren't killing me so much. I also have more energy and I'm not having the POTS symptoms so bad. I'm also losing weight - which I haven't been able to do with counting calories. Now, just the elimination of these foods - I've lost 23 lbs. Still have more to go, but not really watching portions of what I can eat. Just not eating what I'm finding reactions too. I read an article about a girl whose immune system was so bad, she was on all kinds of meds and doing IVIG; nothing was helping her. She did this diet and stopped all meds. She's a normal living little girl now, as long as she does her diet - no meds. Hoping for the same results for myself. The doc wants to do a MS scan on me - but I've read that if you're not in a flare, it might not show up. So.....since I'm so much better - don't see the need to do the test right now - unless I get worse. Seem to be getting better with this diet. Let me know what you figure out.

I have this same thing. Just mentioned it to a friend a work today, actually. It comes and goes with intensity. Past few days has been bad, along wiht my mood. Wonder if it is partly hormones as well.

Just the other day, I was walking by a table where a woman was sitting in a wheelchair. Add in my clumsiness. My foot caught the edge of her wheel, and I had a little hiccup in my walking. I sort of tripped. It was barely even noticiable, except I got a huge hot flash and both my armpits tingled.

Does anybody else have the prickly, tingly armpit reaction?