Why Gatorade?

prettyinpink

I'm not a huge fan of the taste of gatorade but I drink it sometimes when I get tired of water. I was wondering why so many people with POTS seem to drink gatorade. One 20 oz bottle has 30 grams of carbohydrates almost all from high fructose corn syrup, 25 mg of sodium and 75 mg of potassium. I feel like the tiny amounts of sodium and potassium do not make drinking gatorade worth it. I realize that if the taste of gatorade gets you drinking more fluids thats awesome but, are there any other real benefits to drinking gatorade/powerade etc.?

My doctor told me I was drinking too much water and diluting my system. Gatorade was going to resolve my problems. Not sure it helped all that much. I buy these cheap powder pink lemonade things from walgreens to add to my water. It gives it a little flavor and makes it more tolerable! No nutritonal value I'm sure but tastier than just water.

Brye

I drink it instead of water becasue I HATE water. I know wierd, but water actually makes me vomit. Generally within a few minutes of drinking it I'm very naseasous. Yick! So i just drink the Powerade instead.

Kelli

I had a doctor years and years ago also tell me to curb my water in lieu of gatorade because it replaced my electolytes better. So I did like 32-64 ounces it daily for well over a year. Ended up with systemic candida from all that sugar! Never touched the stuff since. My body can't handle even juice these days because the sugar content would cause reactive hypoglycimia.

I don't water load any more because it just makes me pee and unless I'm packing DDAVP (anti-diuretic) it won't do me any good. I've also made my own POTStail by mixing water with a touch of salt and just a couple spoonfuls of orange juice which adds the balance of potasium to balance the salt.

Good luck finding things that work for you.

Sometimes I go half water and half Gatorade just to push more water and will add more sea salt. I make ice cubes to suck on as they act more like an an iv an trickle to the fluids into you in between my hydration's and I pee less out. I also find when I have the breathless attacks I really can't get that quenched feeling like I get with out Gatorade. I found the big cans of it powered in the grocery store this week. Sorry to say it will be my last attempt to go to the grocery store without help, that was a nightmare in it's self.

I also like the single pack that I can bring when I go out to eat and turn my glass of water into a fancy smancy drink.

Personally, I think several of the big docs have a lot of stock in it. ( lol only kidding!!!!)

Have a Gatorade Day all or your beverage of choice!

bellamia~

When my son was diagnosed with POTS a couple of years ago, his POTS doctor told him to drink 2 litres of gatorade/day to get the salt he needs. (I think you're mistaken about how much sodium is in gatorade. I think it's 110 mg per 8 oz.) Several months later my son began working with holistic practitioner. She went NUTS when she heard about the gatorade. She felt that the amount of sugar he was drinking was poison for him. She switched him over to water with electrolytes, and he also drinks Endura and Nuun. He gets his salt from the food he eats.

Guest tearose

I can't tolerate gatorade. It is too sweet and makes me sick to my stomach. I do better with electrolyte packets tossed into water.

My doc too said we can take in too much water and then have water intoxication. We need to balance water, salt and potassium.

I have never understood why people or doctors push G2/Gatorade. The Gatorade and G2 bottles I am looking at say it has 110 sodium per 8 ounces, 30 mg Potassium and 50 calories for the Gatorade and 25 calories for the G2. Guess G2 has less sugar. Skim Milk has 130 sodium and 410 Potassium and 90 calories. I LOVE milk and it seems like it is much better for you.

Sodium can be in any form, so if a person doesn't like the sweet drinks, or milk, you can eat some chicken soup or drink V-8 and be set for salt for the day. Then you can quench your thirst with water. You will still get lots of salt in your diet. It doesn't have to come from what you drink. Also, tomatoes are very high in potassium as are potatoes. Potato chips don't actually have a ton of salt, at least not for people like us who want TONS, but they do have potassium.

Besides a lot of milk, I like Diet Pepsi. I put it over ice, so it gets somewhat watered down, and the caffeine helps constrict my veins. Some claim diet pop is a diuretic, but in reality it is a very very minor one.

I can have red (and maybe one or two other colors) of gatorade --which I dilute with water, carbonated sugar sodas, instant coffee, and one or to brands of almond milk.

That may sound like a lot but it isn't -- and I wanted to have better choices. I've had to cut out one thing or another after getting symptomatic and finally, after months each time, isolating each problem. I would like to be able to have juices, milk, Arabica coffee, soy and other kinds of milks, diet sodas, and even things like "vitamin water"; but all of these liquids irritate my bladder (milk and juice), or my stomach (Arabica coffee and orange juice, soy speeds things along too fast, tomato juice-- still unknown stomach irritant) or make me hoarse (vitamin water) or nauseate me (diet soda). Some of the gatorades have sunflower oil which also gives me stomach pain.

Someone posted this recipe a bit ago and I will probably start making my own soon, varying the amounts to my taste (I recently bought citric acid to add to it too but again, I even have to watch my soda and gatorade intake a little because too much can irritate my bladder):

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=Sea...lt+%2Bpotassium

Another vote for NUUN or Camelbak's Elixir! They're about 10 calories a tab or 1/2 tab, and have less sugar and taste better than Gatorade, I think. They're not as strong tasting as Gatorade or G2.

J

I drink original V-8 juice. It has 50 cal in one cup, and 520mg of sodium as well as 520mg of potassium which is good if you are on florinef. I add 1/4 tsp of salt to it (570mg of sodium) and stir it up. I have really gotten to like it (I know many people don't). This is a good sodium boost of over one gram.

I have no problem drinking my required water after this because it makes me thirsty. It has very little sugar and gives me 2 servings of veggies.

I don't drink this all day long, but often have a glass when I get up and one in the after noon. Then I drink sip water all day.