Feeling hot

calypso

I know many of you here have issues with being cold all the time, but does anyone here feel like they're hot all the time? I feel like I'm hitting menopause, for heaven's sake.

I sometimes also have freezing cold hands or feet but feel hot everywhere else. What might this mean? Does it maybe have something to do with the fact that my metabolism is really high right now due to hyperadrenergic problems -- i.e., weight loss, high resting heart rate, higher than my normal BP? I asked my doctor and he said lots of people complain about being too hot or too cold and he doesn't read much into it. I almost feel feverish, though -- and my temp is normal (98.6ish), although it's a little higher than my usual despite being in this normal range.

Amy

Hey,

I get that allllllllllllll the time. It is so annoying!:P Sometimes my husband calls me the furnace. Don't know why it happens. My chinese doctor says in chinese theory heat can get trapped and you need help releasing it. I get cold and the chills too but lately more heat than cold. It feels exactly like I have a fever.

Stacey :-)

calypso

I don't experience this these days, but I used to feel hot frequently. I could swear I had a temperature, but it would be normal. I would try to cool off and then suddenly feel very cold. It's so strange. I don't know what the explanation is exactly, except it is apparently another dysautonomia symptom. It is very uncomfortable and disconcerting.

Does this symptom come and go for you? It seemed to wax and wane a lot for me. I also remember that if I increased my salt intake it would improve--but that could have been coincidence.

take care,

Katherine

My temp fluctuates between feeling too hot or too cold all the time. I get the cold hands/feet and warm everywhere else too, and that's the most annoying. I have some weird issue going on with pooling of blood in my hands and feet. Sometimes my hands are as white as a ghost, and other times they are bright red. I wonder if this is related, but not sure....

For me, I definitely think POTS has something to do with this, because before I was cold ALL the time and didn't mind feeling warm.

Guest tearose

Calypso, Could you be going through "the change". If so, just call it a power surge. With our funky thermostats expect to have a more variations in what you experience. Menopause can sneak up on us, there are times my blood work showed I was in early stages and then other times it was not.

I still have swings in hot and cold but I hate the cold more. You sound like a "normal" healthy dysautonomic to me! Keep your cool, tearose

I certainly hope I am not hitting menopause -- I am 28, so that would be something. Rita, I was ALWAYS cold pre-POTS, but I also had low BP then. Now I have a higher resting BP, which I think has something to do with it.

This sounds strange, but I get the weird feeling I have inflammation going on in my body -- like you feel when you have a fever. And parts of me ache like I ache when I have the flu. But otherwise I don't feel sick (except the usual POTS stuff, but I don't feel viral-like sick).

I am sick of trying to make sense of all these things. I am going to bed!

Amy

I saw my Cardiologist recently and he explained all of this to me as being the joy of having P.O.T.S. It has to do with our veins not working normally and the two nervous systems that are desperately trying to get the body working normally. This is all happening at the same time, which result in a war inside our bodies. I feel like I have my own heater on inside me and I am only 26. He even commented on the cold feet. I have allot of problems with my hands and feet and I am glad to see I am not alone. All I do is dress wisely and have lots to drink with air conditioners and fans nearby at all times. I love Winter! S.A does not have cold winters like the rest of you do.

I get very hot for no reason at all. My body temp. also runs in the 97's, so when I am running normal at 98.6 I usually have a low grade fever. We've all been really sick this past week with upper/lower respiratory infections and I feel like I have a fever all the time, yet anyone who feels my head swares it feels normal! I chalk it up to the temperature regulation mechanisms that don't work properly inside a POTS body :)

My husband has NCS and I refer to him by several nicknames: heatman, the flame, hottie - you can feel the heat radiate from him if you stand close. His normal temperature is 97.4 and he heats up at different times - always when he does housework, but then he will be fine playing golf in 95 degree humid weather. We haven't figured it out yet.

Amy,

I am in menopause and get hot flashes sometimes but in general I am hot more of the time than I am cold. I used to be the cold one in the family always wanting the heat turned up. Now my husband is always wanting the house warmer.

Lately, I find that I'm actually more comfortable when the house is at 64 degrees. At 70 degrees I feel very warm and start to feel sick. Strange because I am quite thin with little body fat. My hands and feet are always cold but I feel better in a cooler environment. My normal body temp is really low, 96.7.

What this all means and how it's related to dysautonomia I don't know.

I just sum it up that I have a weird body and this is just one more odd thing.

GayleP