Cat Scan With And Without Contrast

Darlene

I've had the iodine dye several times--the strangest sensation is that you'll get very warm for a few moments--and the warmth is usually concentrated in the groin. Other than that, I've not had any other effects.

I've also had contrast for MRI, but that's not one that usually has any side effects.

good luck with your scan and try not to worry.

I had a severe allergic reaction to iodine (anaphylaxis shock) and can't have constrast dye anymore.

I got a very hot feeling in my chest and throat and couldn't breathe.

They stopped everything and pulled me out and I then felt so peaceful and wanted

to go to sleep. I remember everyone yelling at me not to go to sleep and someone ran

to go and get coffee to try to wake me up while they tried to get me to the er. Everything was

like a dream. I felt like I was out of my body. someone kept taking my BP over and over. Someone was

asking me stupid questions, that I could not answer. I only wanted to go to sleep.

I think they ended up slapping my face to bring me back and then to the ER. My voice was all raspy, I was itching all over and they gave me

an eppi pen right away. This is a sad memory for me as it was the end of work for me.

That night was open house where I taught and my sister rushed into the hospital to be with me. I had no way to

reach my boss or the school office as I worked enrichment programs at night in a pool. I had my sister call every number

that the operater gave us with no luck. I could not think and had no numbers on me. My boss was embarrassed that I

had a full class and no teacher and the head of the Town was in checking out the classes that night. I had embbarresed him

and there was no excuse in his eyes for me not calling in on time. My sister called the police finally to go to the school and

explain where I was.

I had always gotten A+ reviews about my classes and after that I was put on medical leave and never was able to go back. My boss never understood

no matter how much I explained what happened to me. A little part of me died that night.

I'm allergic to everything and if you are afraid go to an allergist and have a test for iodine. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I had to have a test for lidocaine and they got iodine on me and it blew the whole test so I know they can test you if you are afraid.

Better to be safe and not anxious especially if you can delay the test.

they call me the lady allergic to everything and it is not fun!

Good Luck.

xxx's

Bellamia~

There are certin dyes that I have been given but I have to premedicate before hand now.

Unfortunately, I had the same severe allergic reaction that BellaMia did. Now I take a large dose of Benadryl before they use contrast. Don't worry too much - the techs giving you the test are well aware that you might have a reaction and will have Benadryl or something else on hand in case you prove to be allergic. I know many people go through these tests with dye and are just fine...just a little strange feeling of warmth or a metallic taste in your mouth.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Jana

Bella, What?!?!? You go into anaphylactic shock and they are slapping you in the face and offering coffee?!?! That place needs to get some professionals that understand how to treat an emergency, seriously. Poor you!

I have had iodine dye a few times, and I don't react immediately to it. However, I have had an increased heartrate for a few days afterwards. I used to blame it on my thyroid, but my last CT was done when I don't have a thyroid anymore and I still got the same reaction.

Bella, What?!?!? You go into anaphylactic shock and they are slapping you in the face and offering coffee?!?! That place needs to get some professionals that understand how to treat an emergency, seriously. Poor you!

I have had iodine dye a few times, and I don't react immediately to it. However, I have had an increased heartrate for a few days afterwards. I used to blame it on my thyroid, but my last CT was done when I don't have a thyroid anymore and I still got the same reaction.

This was a major hospital in the city back 20 years ago. Everything was a blur to me but that was as they we trying to get me to the ER and by then then said forgot the coffee and started to slap my face to wake me. I think my BP must have dropped really low and I was in LA LA land. They won't give me Iodine now. I'm going to redress this issue when I see Dr Castells in December as she is my allergest and she had a regime for what I should do in case of other dyes. It was taking cortisone 3 days in advance along with bennadrly. I need to go over this with her as I never feel like any of my mri or cat scans of my head are clear without the dye.

Oh well, Nothing ever goes easy and I can laugh now, but you are right it was not funny at the time. I was in a major brain fog/shock when it happened.

I've had the MRI and CT contrast. MRI contrast was fine. CT contrast did give me those weird sensations like the weird taste, warm rush, felt like I had to pee!

reactions are rare but possible. Good thing is ALL imaging techs are very prepared to deal with allergic reactions to contrast. So if there is no time to do an allergy test before your scan, then remember that even in worst case scenario- you'll be okay b/c the imaging techs know how to deal with this.

please try not to worry

good luck, let us know how it goes.

Maisie