Autonomic Seizures?

I was doing some research on seizures (my 4-month-old niece has tuberous sclerosis -- heartbreaking). I saw a description of "autonomic seizures," which it said could include piloerection, sweating, etc.

My question is: How do they know it's an autonomic seizure? It sounds like what a lot of us have when we have "surges." Are they the same thing? Should we all be on antiseizure medicine?

Anyone know? I was just curious.

And if anyone's so inclined, please pray for sweet, little Sophie!

Amy

Prayers sent here!

Regarding Autonomic Seizures - I have them. I do lose consciousness, but sometimes I can hear even though my body is shaking and won't respond. I was told I didn't need anti-seizure medication because it's not a true seizure, where the brain is misfiring. There is an underlying cause (no blood pressure hence cerebral hypoxia) and the only thing that can be done is to try to fix the underlying cause. I know when they are coming and lie down with my feet up and eat something high sugar (usually straight sugar) to prevent them. Reducing stress seems to prevent them too, as does eating at regular intervals.

Sara

Sorry to hear about Sophie....I will keep her in my thoughts.

It's a confusing topic and there are differences of opinions among physicians.

Some physicians don't believe in the term "autonomic seizures". A "true" seizure, if it is caught on EEG will show abnormalities (though these episodes can be tricky to catch while they are happening). Some seizures will still show changes in EEG waves within 24-48 hours after an episode but otherwise you would need to capture episode on EEG while it's occuring.

If you have EEG changes then they are likely to diagnose you as having a seizure disorder. If EEG is normal but you have the autonomic symptoms then you may autonomic dysfunction but to use the word "seizure" in that scenario is medically incorrect.

At the same time....and to make it more confusing for you :o ....people with seizure disorders often experience autonomic symptoms right before, during or right after seizure; I forget the percentage but it's really high like as much as 60 or 70% of patients with epilepsy or other seizure disorders.

There are other symptoms that can distinguish seizures from "only" ANS dysfunction but it's too complicated to explain in a short post.

I have had autonomic convulsion (not true seizure--don't show up on EEG). They are horrible. They usually go along with an autonomic flare up of some type. GABA (a neurotransmitter and amino acid) has helped me a lot. Nothing else has helped. I used to have to go to the ER to get them stopped with IV meds.

Smiles

I've had convulsions twice that were like seizures. Once it was really bad when I was sick with a chronic infection, and the antibiotics weren't working and it was before I was to get my tonsils out.

I woke up in bed, threw my arms and legs out, and started convulsing. I couldn't move, couldn't talk, and all I could do is lay there and think "I hope I don't swallow my tongue or bite my lip or something!" while my body just tensed out as tight as it could and convulsed. It was horrible. It happened one more time, but after I got my tonsils out and got better, I haven't had one again.

I refer to it as 'seizures' but I was concious the entire time. I just couldn't move or talk. Then I passed out after it was over and didn't remember anything until the next morning.

Sara, I'm not a dr but an anti seizure med would probably prevent you from having these seizures. I was on Neurontin for years for these type seizures, went off it, started seizures again & am now taking it at night only because that is usually when I have mine. There's no need for you to suffer if you don't have to.

I don't think I know what a surge is but an anti seizure med might help.

Interesing, and my prayers have just been said for little sara... A few years ago, before my dx with pots and when I was at my worst with the double whammy of sweating so bad morning, noon and especially night my sister read an article about topamax being used for woman with night sweats. I'm an on it now and it does help, but I still have this weird left side of the face thing that has gone on for many years and no one seems to say what it is. I've had cat scans mris without contrast due to allergies and they don't see anything.

My face goes numb and tingly. It also had started to have a slight tremor. It can last for 15 mins to an hour and come and go. No rhyme or reason that I can make of it. My face will slightly droop on that side and I feel like it's a mini stroke, as I feel drunkish and words come out all siilyish. People around me laugh, but I really wonder what's really going on. This happen to anyone else?

BellaMia~

BellaMia, I've had that happen to me several times before or during a migraine. One of my eyes will also droop. Since I'm older it really scares me because I'm terrified of a stroke & people with migraines or more susceptible to strokes. No one has told me what causes it but I think it must be something pressing on the nerves. I would like to know for sure.

epileptic seizures can be distinguished by various signs.

Autonomic end abruptly, epileptic diminish gradually.

certain seizures (epileptic) curl hands, autonomic does not.

Autonomic causes arched back, limbs pulled in toward trunk and then out away from. Also head forward then thrown back. Eyes roll back.

Autonomic may have quick recovery, epileptic not likely.

You get the idea.

not sure if I should weigh in here...'cause I'm still very confused, but will just mention what I've heard from docs.

My POTS doc (a cardio) told me that even if I have epilepsy (which was a dx at one point, then taken back), that anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs) were very bad and would totally screw up my POTS symptoms. His comment was that being on AEDs was worse than having POTS. He said that an epileptic without POTS would probably be treated better by POTS treatment than by the standard treatment for epilepsy (i.e. AEDs).

Sara, I'm really surprised that taking sugar helps you...sugar provokes siezures for many epileptics. Also raising your blood pressure would require potassium and salt rather than sugar, wouldn't it? Are you maybe also hypogycemic??

My understanding is the autonomic siezures are part of a category of epilepsy, and there are many, many, many subtypes of epilepsy. In fact, almost every individual epileptic has some uniqueness in their expeirence of the disease.