Mornings

tilly

Does anyone know why symptoms are so so bad in the mornings when you get out of bed .....

my mornings are so symptomatic with the tachycardia breathlessness ... by the time i have walked to the kitchen my heart is going up and down really high upto 144 and then it will subside only to gallop off again i get a full and out of breath feeling i end up having to sit down and can never finish off any tasks .....

I have resorted to sitting in the kitchen whilst trying to make a cup of tea ..... we don't have a large kitchen where you have a table and chairs so i have just had to put a stool in there for now .....

and again all through the am period i have symptoms of high heart rates dizzyness a multitude of horrid symptoms which mean i have to constantly keep sitting or lying down .... even have to sit now at the sink to wash as my heart rate is constantly gallopping to 160 with little effort ...... when i have to describe to anyone what is happening .... i just say i am broke i do not work normally anymore .......

i know all of us are having a touch time of it with this horrid pots symdrome .... but why are the mornings worse ..... is it because we have laid down all through the night ?......

Welcome Tilly!

BP and HR have a circadian rhythm, plus you are dehydrated from not drinking all night. One of the earliest articles published on POTS shows that the worst symptoms are often in the morning. Cardiologists call it the "heart attack zone," because from 6am to 10 am is when most of the heart attacks occur. Try drinking 12-18 ounces of anything while sitting on the side of your bed, before you do anything and take your meds immediately on rising. Give yourself a half an hour for them to get into your system before you try to go about your daily stuff (that is why you see so many posts from me so early in the morning...I'm spending that 30 minutes balled up on a chair in front of the computer!) Good luck and take it easy in the mornings!

No but there is plenty of speculation on the topic on these forums in other threads.

There is a specific type of POTS identified where the skeletal muscle pump is defective because the vasomotor nerves arent functioning correctly due to constant inappropriate vasoconstriction. In this form of POTS it appears that lack of movement and bed rest make it worse.

Norepinephrine stores are generally believed to be replenished by sleep. Blood pressure is usually the lowest in the AM. Melatonin levels are usually lowest in the AM. Hydration and blood volume are lowest after a night of sleep. There may be many other reasons as well.

If your like me and have to fidget constantly when orthostatic to stop yourself from feeling dizzy or fainting??

Hi..

My mornings are also horrible...Besides heart rate stuff, I just feel yucky, eyes are fuzzy and unsteady...

I do drink water as soon I wake up which I find sometimes help feel better quicker but its a big problem trying to get kids off to school and all.

Also, they say to sleep a bit elevated so your not flat and to have some salt before bed.

I dont know...

Feel Good

I have a doctor that is 1/2 angel and 1/2 big giant nerd and he said something once that has changed my mornings ever since.

He said everything that you guys have said about hydration etc, but then also said that what takes a normal person's body less than a second to respond to an upright postion will take a POTS body until 2pm to adjust.

He said to get up at one point and lay in the recliner with the feet in a position that is neither completely up nor completely down (some recliners have a mid position or you can put an obstacle there under the foot rest). Tilt the head of the recliner so that it is neither completely up or completely down (this is called reverse trendelenburg) and sleep in that position as much as you can before rising completely. He said that it would be absolute best to sleep this way all night, but at least give your body a few hours of this and it can respond to that instead of going from flat to upright.

On the mornings I do this- there is a HUGE difference. I also take my pills an hour before I wake up. I feel less like I am fighting my body and more like I am working with it.

Kitsa

Honestly, after I take the BB my hr gets better and I feel better for a while. I don't do that bad in the morning. For me it is that after being upright and moving around for a few hours I get very ill feeling. The afternoon hours from about 1 - 4 are very very bad...then if I rest, I can go again for a while...then I am ill again. Night time when I lay down to go to sleep is no picnic either...my heart feels like a bag of worms are in it...flippingnand flopping.

Anyway...that is my experience.

Erika

Thank so much for all of the imput here .... Erika ..i find when moving about the tachy and breathlessness symptoms keep interfering with movement .. i find i can not take a full breath in all of the time and if i don't sit and get things under control it gets worse and then if you get anxious it makes matters so much worse ....

Kirsta ..... the reclining chair sounds a good idea i have a recliner and do sit in it periodicaly through the day insead of lying on the bed ....

The hydration thing! ... I am constantly thirsty and i have a bottle of water at hand all of the time ... i also wake up at least every half hour for a swig of water through the night .... have done this for so long now i cant remember when it began .....

This morning i tried to drink plenty before gettin out of bed .. i woke at 5am and glugged half a bottle down and then went back to sleep but had further drinks before rising and i can say there was no difference .... i think this may be because i am always drinking anyway .....

it is so hard to stay on top of this illness i crumble every now and then because i think ( i may have said this before) ..it's just like you have a broken metaboloism you just are not workin normally, which i know is true ... but i keep asking why ! ..... what ever happened to my body !

tilly

Hi Tilly,

I know this has come up on the forum A LOT... it helps though to know that we are all struggling with mornings! If you do a search, I think that there are a lot of posts on the topic. Happy reading :(

~ Broken_Shell :lol: