Coq10

kayjay

I am thinking about taking coQ10. I know you all may say check with your dr. But my local one might not know much. I was thinking I would call a pharmacy and make sure that there are no interactions with my current meds. Nadolol (beta blocker) Klonopin (barbituate), lexapro (ssri).

I am open to any and all opinions as most of you seem to know more then most docs!

What do you think?

i think you should give it a go.

i take it and notice a small difference, i think you have to be careful about brands though. i know it doesnt have interactions with lexapro and klonoplin...not sure about nadalol though.

i would give it a 6 week trial. what is the does that you were thinking? i take 100mg

I had same negative reaction as Alicia so far as I can tell. I'll be trying again to see if the problem repeats... to confirm my impression. I got a very deep tired and sore feeling (opposite of what I was hoping for!) though I did rebound well and quickly afterward. Happened to be timed with feeling better mentally for some reason. Will be interesting to see if this repeats when I try it again.

I believe it supports some low level metabolic functions (cell level energy transport or facilitation)... the "Mito First" Handbook states it's treatment purpose as: "provide energy beyond enzyme defect site, antioxidant". It is listed as a potentially helpful thing to try for "mito" disorders and such... probably for CFS too.

I think it is worth researching & trying.

Marni, the nadolol is a beta blocker. I know that a lot of docs think that supliments are a waste. I was going to contact the pharmacy about interactions. Do you know why coq10 and Betas are not recommended? Iread that coq10 may lower blood pressure. But blood pressure is a symptom for us not a primary problem.

Alicia, do think the coq10 interacted with other meds you were taking?

Ana- I was thinking about 100mg every other day to start. ( am thinking that it would be possible to eat that much in you food right? I am going to look up what foods naturally have coq10)

Future hope - I am not sure what it is supposed to do. it is recommended for heart heath and maybe parkinsons (and other neurological problems

Funny thing is though ssri help me and no one really knows how they work either. i was not depressed- I still am not depressed but my Pots is better on lexapro (after 3 months)

Hi KayJay,

I (disclaimer since I am not a licensed healthcare professional) believe it would be safe to try the CoQ10, but I would mention it to your doctor just so they have it in your records that you are trying it. Just start with a low dosage and monitor all of your symptoms to see if anything improves or gets worse. There are several theories with evidence supporting them to various degrees about the usefulness of this supplement for various conditions, as well as a belief that some drugs, like beta-blockers, can deplete natural stores of CoQ10. You might find this link helpful...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...oenzymeq10.html

~ Broken_Shell :o

On my daughter's last visit in July to Dr. Grubb's, he recommended she try Coq10 200-400mg per day. He said new research out there says it helps with muscle weakness too. He said many body builders are trying it now instead of steroids! He didn't say anything about drug interactions and Liz is on a beta blocker, Mestinon, and Alprazolam. I would still check with your doctor just in case.

So far, not sure if it's really helping my daughter but I had only been giving her 200mg and so I'm going to increase it to 400mg.

Brenda

I TRIED CoQ10 a couple years ago and had FAB results for about a week (was able to help paint a tiny room) but then it kept adding to my pre-existing insomnia issue (which it can do) and I was on a low dose.

I've heard its quite safe but the key is A REPUTABLE SOURCE as in all supplements.

My late brother-in-law took it after his heart transplant for years, at his surgeon's suggestions. So it's not one of those baloney supplements..it CAN help...worth a try but kind of pricy for some of us. Good luck

I held off responding to this thread because I may be one of the few taking a large dose per day. Two of the neuros I see have me on 1,600 mg per day. It doesn't bring me back to normal, but when I had to stop taking it for a month before some tests.......wow. My energy level dropped to about one spoon for the day....LOL. Good luck with it I hope it helps you.