Tanning Beds For D Defeciency

I've gone to a new rheumy, and he wants me to start using a tanning bed to increase my Vit D. I can't even imagine how bad the heat will make me feel, do any of you have any experience or suggestions with this?

Wow! I've been tanning years ago, and remember how hot I got. Kind of reminded me of the sweat test I had at Mayo! Can you have someone go with you, who can help you get safely out of the bed, get into a chair and bring fluids for you? Maybe a water bottle to cool you down with? I don't know but I'd start with just a couple minutes at first. It's not worth getting dehydrated and overheated!

Wow, I've never heard of a doctor recommending a tanning bed! We're usually warned against them because of the danger of skin cancer. The heat would definitely be a problem for me, too. I would feel too sick afterward.

Can you take Vitamin D supplements? That wouldn't carry the risk of skin cancer, or the danger of feeling worse because of the heat.

Rachel

I used to love laying in the sun before i got POTS. It took only a little while before my skin turned really dark and i loved it.

Now after developing POTS i cant tolerate the heat anymore so i came up with another solution to keep my skin a little tanned.

I usually go to the tanning bed once every 2 weeks (but only in during the colder months of the year). I always take a water sprayer with me

and put the fan and the airconditioning of the tanning bed onto the highest level. The combination of the fan, airconditioning plus spraying

myself with the water sprayer keeps me cool all the time. I never got hot using the tanning bed up until now due to these little helpers.

I usually tan for 13 minutes.

The tanning bed cabine also has a chair, so i can get dressed whilest sitting down.

carinara

I wondered if a tanning bed would help increase my Vit D, but I don't think I could handle the heat. I do take 50,000 IU of prescription Vitamin D weekly and it has helped with my muscle pain greatly. I am very sensitive to medicine, but am able to take this supplement without any problems.

Studies now show that low Vitamin D levels do cause physical symptoms. If your level is low, you might feel better after it goes up. So however you choose to raise yours, I hope you do notice a difference.

Babette

Guest elyag
I've gone to a new rheumy, and he wants me to start using a tanning bed to increase my Vit D. I can't even imagine how bad the heat will make me feel, do any of you have any experience or suggestions with this?

You don't need to go to a tanning bed to increase Vit D.

All you need to do is sit or take a walk in the sun for 5-10 minutes a few times a week. Without sunscreen.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input, everyone. He gave me a prescription today for 50k to take weekly, now I'm concerned about that huge dose. I know I'm very, very low- but i'm always worried about any new thing added to my regimen. Not a good worry for me to have I know.

I take 50,000 IU's weekly and have not had any problems with it. I actually have had less muscle pain since my levels have went up a little. It takes 50,000 IU's weekly to get my level up at all. I have tried going to 50,000 IU's monthly but my level drops drastically on that dose. So it looks like I will be on the larger dose indefinately. The kind I take comes in a green football shaped capsule with a gel filling. I cut the capsule open and squeeze the gel out into a small glass of orange juice. I have trouble swallowing pills so thats why I do it this way.

I hope you are able to tolerate the supplement and that it helps you feel better.

Babette