Pots And Immune Systems

Greetings, All~

I'm wondering if anybody knows of solid proof that our immune systems are truly compromised? It seems to take me a very long time to get over colds, etc., and it sounds as if many others have this same problem....

Thanks!

potsgirl

i know i just get everything if someone sick comes near me :angry: and i get it worse. they get it for 2 days. i get it for 10 and in the hospital.

I definitely catch almost everything, and it tends to be worse and linger longer. Until I hit my teens, I was almost never sick, and only seriously sick once (Strep throat in 8th grade). It started getting really bad in college, which is also when my symptoms got worse. Now, even though I've been feeling better with the POTS, I still get sick so so easily. Furthermore, I always feel worse with the POTS symptoms for several days even after I'm technically "better."

I'm actually rather worried because there is confirmed swine flu both in my city and in my inlaws' city, where we just were. It's not that I'm that worried about the Flu itself - but we're supposed to go to the beach this weekend, and I would be really mad if I got sick! :)

Uggghhh I would also love some confirmation because this is certainly true for me. I get sick constantly, get it much worse than most and I HATE it. I find myself avoiding large group of people, because I'm scared to death of catching something, because I generally do!

Greetings, All~

I'm wondering if anybody knows of solid proof that our immune systems are truly compromised? It seems to take me a very long time to get over colds, etc., and it sounds as if many others have this same problem....

Thanks!

potsgirl

i used to never get sick until this issue, so im positive it is negative on the immune system.

Because my autonomic issues are in part due to mast cell activation disorder (MCAD), my allergist/immunologist regularly checks my immunoglobulins. (IgE can be commonly increased with allergy issues.) I, however, have a very different problem. My IgG is VERY low. At last check I was at 500, normal is 750-1,600. IgG is a major component of white blood cells that helps to fight disease. I would love to have everyone here get there immunoglobulins checked- especially if you seem to be getting sick often. It's a simple blood test. It would be very telling if many of us had this strange hematological proof of decreased immunity. I've not seen any studies connecting this and I've been looking. My only option (and I'm not there yet) is to undergo IVIG therapy where I'd get infusions of donated IgG. Please check this out and report back- very interesting thread!

Thanks for the idea, Mack's Mom!

I will be going for my first endocrinologist appointment soon, and I think they can check that there? I have always suffered from allergies - there's another possible connection - and I know my eosinophil count is usually too high, while my other white cell counts tend to be too low. I'm not sure if that means anything or now...Thanks to everyone answering.

Cheers,

Jana

If you all don't mind a suggestion, when researching, look for the link between Chronic Stress and the Immune System... lots of info out there. And many of us have an over-abundance of Stress Hormones floating around. I am reading about this myself.

If you all don't mind a suggestion, when researching, look for the link between Chronic Stress and the Immune System... lots of info out there. And many of us have an over-abundance of Stress Hormones floating around. I am reading about this myself.

Great suggestion, Rosie, and YES, I'm hugely aware of that connection. There is an abundance of research out there. But, I've not been able to find a link betwen autonomic issues and a depressed immune system.

Think about it. If standing makes our HR shoot up and (in some of us) our BP sink....ISN'T THAT STRESS??? Like everyone here, I do my best to function like a normal human being (upright) and try not to give in to my body's idiosyncracies and that stress must impact my immune system. I'm guessing I'm not the only one with an impaired immune system- I just accidentally stumbled upon it. This needs more research!

Julie

Thanks for the idea, Mack's Mom!

I will be going for my first endocrinologist appointment soon, and I think they can check that there? I have always suffered from allergies - there's another possible connection - and I know my eosinophil count is usually too high, while my other white cell counts tend to be too low. I'm not sure if that means anything or now...Thanks to everyone answering.

Cheers,

Jana

I would think that any doctor can order this blood test, Jana. Your numbers sound a lot like mine- with high eosinophils and a super low white count. Plase let us know what you find.

Julie

Mack'sMom.... Let me tell you a bit more of what I have been thinking/studying. I have MVP SYN, and my body produces lots of Catecholamines... stress hormones. In addition, any chronic illness is considered to be stressful. According to researchers, in the short term, stress can boost the immune system, but chronic stress suppresses it. I guess Adrenal Fatigue would be a good analogy. Our systems become tired. And so, according to this train of thought, the strength of one's Immune System would be dependent upon how long one has been ill and/or stressed out.

Something else I have been reading about are the Autoimmune/Autoinflammatory Disorders/Diseases. There are definite ANS issues linked to some of these. This is where my readings are leading me due to health problems in my family that fall in these categories as well.

Good luck all. B)

I hardly ever get sick after I got pots - i tend to have a pretty good immune system now.

Research suggests that there are very different causes behind POTS.

I would try and work out what type of POTS you have - do you suffer leg pooling as an example - and then research the current theories of the cause of that form of POTS and then examine what impact these abnormalities may have on the immune system.

Good luck.