Anyone Get Stiff Neck And Confusion / Disorientation

Guest GaryRN

Guest GaryRN

I've had a terrible stiff neck the past few days and it got so bad with some other symptoms, I got worked up for meningitis at the ER yesterday. Today it's not so bad, but still there.

My anxiety has been sky high with this and terrible headaches, and feel out of sorts in line with confusion and or disorientation. Also, my emotions have been triggered and very emotional these past few days.

I have a few theories that might be causing this, but wanted to check here to see if this is a POTS thing:

1. I have been reducing Tramadol that I was taking for pain and I recently dropped from 50mg to 25mg/day. This would be day 4 on that drop, but I went back to 50mg due to symptoms. Tramadol binds up the opiate receptors and has an effect on Serotonin and Norepi just like SNRI's do, so this might be some kind of withdrawl thing.

2. I increased the exposure time last week on my Rife machine to treat my Lyme, so I might be Herxing a little heavier than usual.

3. It may be POTS acting up.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Hi GaryRN,

I have a lot of problems with myofascial tightness, pain, and pressure in my neck, shoulders, and head that cause me to feel disoriented and woozy. I get dizzy and have sensations like I am falling or standing on a tipping platform. I tend to tighten up my back and neck even more by bracing my body against these sensations. Sorry you are experiencing a similar problem. Have you been evaluated by a physical therapist? I get chronic physical therapy which helps some, but I am still disabled by the symptoms on a daily basis.

~ Broken_Shell :D

Gary,

I also have a lot of upper neck/lower base of skull pain. It gets stiff and seems to usually occur when I'm having my worst headaches or migraines. I've also thought of getting myself tested for meningitis due to the severity and length of time my headaches can last - sometimes for 10 days to two weeks. So, here's to us suffering in good company. Please let us know how your tests turn out.

Cheers,

Jana

Gary,

I don't know much about this other than it was listed as one of my diagnosises at one point. I was given Diamox for the pain and it seemed to help. The base of my skull hurt so bad for almost 17 years that I couldn't lay on my back but I haven't had this is a few years now. KOW ... Sorry, I'm not very helpful ...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/encephalitis/DS00226

Btw, I noticed that you're going through Lyme treatments. I'm sure there will be die off from that and some funky changes for you. After I removed gluten from my diet, a major toxin for me, over the next 2 years at least, my body acted weird for a few days / weeks and then it would stop ... I had tingling in my forearms, that tingly feeling in my brain like it fallen asleep, funky tastes in my mouth, etc.

At any rate, IMHO, if you're on the right track and Lyme is behind your illness, consider that some of your symptoms are just your body healing itself ... be sure to see your doc if it's too weird though. No need to take chances ...

Also, My BP went up too high for a long time after I started salt loading and I wasn't even using as much as I am now. I was told to think of the healing process as a pendulum. It's going to swing back and forth until it gets it right ... probably the same applies when trying new meds and that's why they tell us to stay on a med for 3 weeks to see how we do ...

I haven't been able to turn my head to the right for at least 15 years, so get a lot of stuff from that. It gets much worse at times for no apparent reason, but then settles down. I have moderate degenerative disease with impingement and spurs and impingement of the vertebral artery. or something like that. i just know it can sure make me feel crummy. I never take pain meds, but hope upping yours helps. Good luck. morgan

I think someone posted about neck and shoulder pain the other day in relation to POTS. The theory is that it has to do with blood flow.

As for the emotional things, id blame that all on sympo-excitation; From the day I got POTS i cannot tolerate a scary movie without bringing on POTS.

Emotional fluctuations - sympathetic NS excitation

headache - sympathetic NS excitation or reduced blood flow

disorientation - reduced cerebral blood flow

confusion - reduced cerebral blood flow

anxiety - sympo overactivity