Tingling Hands

jenwic

jenwic,

as far as i know, it's common in people with dysautonomia. it's simply a lack of blood flow getting to your extremities, so you're likely to also feel it in your feet or arms/legs. they may also turn a bluish or purplish color. mine do both, and i know it's a little disconcerting at first, but shouldn't be much to worry about.

take care,

potsgirl

I was going to post about this too.

After I gave birth five years ago, I had trouble with my hands and feet getting very hot during sleep hours.

A year or so ago I began having lots of numbness, tingling and pain from my shoulders down during sleep hours.

Now the numbness, tingling and pain is just in my hands at night time, but I am getting it more during the day.

I am getting more pooling than ever in both hands and feet.

I recently noticed my feet are not sweating.

I am a bit concerned this is part of small fiber neuropathy.

I get this from time to time as well. Could be from my shoulders on down or just in my hands. I think I remember my doc saying it was a blood volume/blood flow issue but said it wasn't uncommon in POTSIES. Actually, if I'm reading and holding the book up (or any movement that puts my arms over my head for any length of time) it usually happens to me.

Actually, if I'm reading and holding the book up (or any movement that puts my arms over my head for any length of time) it usually happens to me.

This happens to me all the time! When it is really bad, I can't even use a hairdryer without my arms getting tingly from the shoulders down. Dr. Grubb told me it was improper bloodflow to the extremities caused by the POTS. My knuckles often get a dark, blackish look too which he said was from circulation issues as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Actually, if I'm reading and holding the book up (or any movement that puts my arms over my head for any length of time) it usually happens to me.

This happens to me all the time! When it is really bad, I can't even use a hairdryer without my arms getting tingly from the shoulders down. Dr. Grubb told me it was improper bloodflow to the extremities caused by the POTS. My knuckles often get a dark, blackish look too which he said was from circulation issues as well.

I don't get it in my hands as much as I do my legs and especially at night, which tends to carry over in the mornings. Is there anything to do besides meds to stop it? I have been trying a heating pad but that doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

This was one of my scary symptoms I have been dealing with this spontaneous numbness&tingling for years now but it use to happen when I was pregnant or right after but I get it now if I lay to long on one side, Hold my arms up or elevate my legs to long. I was really worried when I had an MRI and they put that triangular cushion under your knees when she took it from under me and I went to stand up my legs were so heavy numb tingling and like jello and I was shaking rubbing and trying to get it to just go away finally it did about 1/2 hour later .

Every time I get this I try massaging de-elevating and range of motion exercises and it does pass.

Mae

This happens to me too. I wake up every morning biting my bottom lip with my arms ridged as a board and my hands in a fist digging my nails into my palms. I have bad burning pain from elbows down and that pins and needly vibrating feeling. During the day hands, arms and feet and legs get pins and needles and fall asleep with just slight pressure or posture.

I'd love to get it to stop too, especially when I'm waking, because I don't think I'm sleeping well because of it. I hope my doctors can help me with it soon. I'm still waiting for answers from them.

My MD says it is from the channels clamping down. My fingers turn purple. He said moist heat not on the area, but the area between it and the heart (so like the forearm for the hand) and I take high load Niacin. It is basically vitamin B something. The pharmacist will know. I would think you could get low dose in the vitamin section. I guess the Niacin pops those channels open.

Be extra careful of someone putting you on Procardia. I will blow POTS all to ****. I was sicker than Bats and it was not an experience I would like to live through again!!!! It vasodilates you an in a POTS patient, you have NO VASODILATION on it. I told my MD he is never going on vacation and leaving someone else in charge of the joint again!

yeah pretty much what others said:

Most likely the result of sympathetically mediated vasoconstriction and reduced blood flow to your hands - your sympo system is becoming overactive trying to shunt blood back up to your heart and brain and in the process the adrenaline and norepinephrine are vasoconstricting your hands.

it also could suggest some sort of denervation in some patients.

Mine is due to neuropathy. Small fiber neuropathy to be exact. Only diagnosable (is that word) by a biopsy. EMG didn't show anything because it was for larger fibrs.

Not uncommoon at all to have this type of neuropathy in dysautonomia as small fiber neuropathy also refers to autonomic neuropathy. I haven't found anything that helps. Just hope it goes away one day :blink:

Mine is due to neuropathy. Small fiber neuropathy to be exact. Only diagnosable (is that word) by a biopsy. EMG didn't show anything because it was for larger fibrs.

Not uncommoon at all to have this type of neuropathy in dysautonomia as small fiber neuropathy also refers to autonomic neuropathy. I haven't found anything that helps. Just hope it goes away one day :blink:

Hello All!

Where do I start,first I found out I had cubital tunnel numbness and tingling in my left hand and fingers but the pinky and the ring finger didn't get better. then and Emg told us more info I had peripheral neuropathy in my hands , arms, feet. and legs. this was all pre POTS DX, but it was something so I was getting closer. this doc had no bedside manner, didn't listen to me when I told him the meds made me like a drunk and refused to listed to me and I refused to take them when I took a terrible fall hurting myself really bad. I was thankful that I had new information to work with, but decided to move on to someone I could work with. I should send him a pamphlet, "Would you know this person has POTS?" I should educate him now.

Cubital tunnel required a brace to wear and I still need it when the symptoms come right back. If you have that get your doc to write a script for a brace as if not you need surgery. It's a cousin to carpal tunnel which I have in my right hand and that has numbness and pain. I also have Rynaud's disease, where my hands, feet, and tip of nose get freezing cold when exposed to cold and on certain meds. the BB made this condition so severely worse along with many other symptoms that I to get off them. Sometimes my nose will feel so strange when cold it will feel like felt. Topamax, also has this as a side effects numbness and tingling in hands and feet which, I take for headaches. I was told that was to go away. I've been on that for many years. When I first took that med It was really weird.

I hope that is helpful.

BellaMia~