Please Send Good Thoughts For My Dad

MightyMouse

He went in at 8:30 this morning...it's now 3pm and no news yet from the OR.... They did warn us that it would be a very long day and well into the evening before we would see him. Sigh. Exhausting and my head is pounding.

The doctor had already told us that it may be until 5pm before they call us that they're closing and moving to recovery. He'll also be in ICU for a while...and about 2 weeks recouping in the hospital before going home. They now think he'll need possible chemo and /or radiation ... long story, I'll post more later. I feel kind of numb right now.

Just got an update from the OR--they are still operating--it's now 5:15. They said it'll be another 3 hours before they finish, and probably 4 or 5 before we can see him. This is brutal.

Hi all, surgery still closing, talked with Dr. Kato. The best news of the day is that the surgical margins are clean of cancer. That was more than we could really hope for. The tough news is that he had a number of flat line moments, went into v-tach needed to be shocked 2x and needed a transfusion, but that would be why he has a pacemaker and implanted defibrilator too...

... still a while to see him, and maybe tomorrow before he will be awake enough to know we're here. I'm so, so tired... and we still have a long ride home after we leave here--2 hours to get home. I'm kind of zoned out.... although had coffee and would have hoped it would have made me feel a little bit better. Ugh.

Now the long recovery begins--so please, please, please keep us in your thoughts.

Nina

Oh dear, Nina- I've been out ot town, but did keep your Dad in my thoughts and prayers. How is he recovering from the surgery? The news about the cancer is miraculous. I can only imagine that this recovery period is going to be crucial. I'm praying for stability and steady improvement.

Bless you, Sweetie. Keep us posted. Your Daddy is so lucky to have such a strong and loving daughter on his side.

Julie

I ask that those who feel so inclined please continue to send good thoughts, intentions, prayers to my father, Jim. I just got news from my sister that he's now off the ventilator, which means he's improving! He was talking today too, and awake, although he'll be in ICU for while longer.

I hope your Dad is doing well. You, your Dad & Family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you don't crash, and your able to keep your strength through this very difficult time for you and your family. Hospitals are no fun to be in. I hope your family has good support from a good hospital staff. Sometimes that makes a huge difference, just having nice understanding doctors, nurses, and other hospital staff.

Take care of yourself the best you can.

HUGS,

Maxine :0)

Thanks all. I did, in fact, have a crash of sorts. Thursday & Friday I pretty much couldn't get out of bed. Today, I wanted to go up to NYC to see my dad, but I am too tired and sore and couldn't see spending 2 hours each way in a car feeling like this.

I did have the luxury of Teri having scheduled a massage for me yesterday (the therapist came to our house), and my therapist was worried b/c she said she'd not felt my back this bad in the 2 or so years she's known me. I am grateful to have had her work on my knots, as it really helped me sleep last night--but today I do feel sore from the places she got to "give up". At least she warned me that today I would feel pretty beaten up...she was right! :rolleyes: But I know it will help me feel better by tomorrow...

I do, so very much, appreciate all good thoughts and energies coming my dad's way, and my way too--It really helps. With much love,

Nina

• 4 weeks later...

sorry you didn't get to go. i wish in the hospital the could have a laptop to use for patients with the assistance of an aid to gmail the family. as with gmail there are free voice and video chat. the floor would have to have an account and a camera. most laptops have them built in, and you on the other end have to have an email account with gmail. it's great, free long distance phone and to visit with your loved ones.

it has enriched my life so much. also if you download jabber you can have a a family chat of up to 3 people. (i think it's 3 it may be more)

it's wonderful.

even friends here could have a video party!

I do hope the best for your dad. my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Funny you should write today...

I got a text from my stepmother that my dad's appointment with the surgeon was cancelled today--so he's had to stay up in the NY area. He was hoping to be released to return home. Maybe tomorrow... B) I didn't expect that he'd do this well, I am happy to report that he's doing really nicely.

Nina

Thanks Maxine...

He gets to go back to Maryland today and he was so happy yesterday because the final pathology came back and the margins of the areas they cut away are free of cancer.

Me, I'm a mess. I have a message begging for help from my doctor because my muscular spasms are just too much for me. It's so tight on the one side that I get a ripping/tearing sensation if I move my head/neck to the left (the pain is on the right). We're also waiting for my Lyme tests to come back, but I think that's a long shot for me--this is probably all related to my hypermobility...and stress.