Green Tea

Sorry I havent been around for a while - I have hepatitis at the moment - acute and not chronic - possibily from a bug i picked up in mexico... that being said it was nothing compared to a bad bought of POTS :blink:

Green tea contains potent antioxidants that improve neuronal bioavailability of nitric oxide.

If Dr Julian Stewart is correct, some forms of POTS are caused by decreased bioavailability of nitric oxide in the vascular bed. Other forms are caused by excess nitric oxide in the stomach vascular system.

So it would be interesting to hear what effect a harmless drink like green tea used for two weeks might have on POTS patients. I myself find that its one of my worst triggers which may indicate an excess of nitric oxide vasodilation.

it's not something i can comment on CURRENTLY (as i can no longer take anything by mouth that doesn't immediately drain back out of my stomach) but back before that was the case i used to drink a good amount of green tea on & off, i.e. it wasn't unusual for me to have it 5 of 7 days on & off, and i never noticed anything one way or the other.

interesting theory though,

;) melissa

Sorry I havent been around for a while - I have hepatitis at the moment - acute and not chronic - possibily from a bug i picked up in mexico... that being said it was nothing compared to a bad bought of POTS :unsure:

Green tea contains potent antioxidants that improve neuronal bioavailability of nitric oxide.

If Dr Julian Stewart is correct, some forms of POTS are caused by decreased bioavailability of nitric oxide in the vascular bed. Other forms are caused by excess nitric oxide in the stomach vascular system.

So it would be interesting to hear what effect a harmless drink like green tea used for two weeks might have on POTS patients. I myself find that its one of my worst triggers which may indicate an excess of nitric oxide vasodilation.

I did not feel well drinking it, even though people were saying how good it is for you. So, my POTS may be like yours. too much nitric oxide?

Very interesting!! I have only tried green tea twice and both times I got nauseated. I was thinking of trying it again in case those two times were just coincidences, but now I don't know if I should or not. I love regular decaf tea and am not bothered by it or herbal tea.

I have never heard of the nitric oxide. I will look into it more.

Thanks for the info.

Babette

Thansk for replying guys! Yeah feeling much better thankyou.

Im glad green tea sets someone else here off. WOuld be interested to hear your main symptoms to see if they are similar to mine. thanks!

Green tea worsened me. My form of POTS is currently characterized by:

Hands and legs turn bluish upon upright posture

I feel fluish even when lying down, especially after sleeping all night, or after a nap

my onset was slow

excessive fatigue

reasoning is impaired

lately, my systolic can be low esp. after lying down

Guest tearose

I can't help but wonder, who is reacting to regular green tea or to decaf green tea...

Also, how much are you drinking? If I choose green tea, I usually only have one cup. (I may recycle the tea bag for a second cup!)

I was drinking a bunch of decaf tea to help with the fluid intake instead of straight water. My doctor told me that caffeine is one of the worst things for POTS and decaf still have caffeine...just not as much. He told me the only way to drink tea would be for the box to specifically read "caffeine free." I have stayed away from all other teas for fear of getting worse...but you would think that the caffeine would help with some energy!

Caffeine is fabulous for me in the A.M.!!!!!!!!! with out it my BP is like 86/46!!

Two mugs full and I can start to get upright.

ON bad days I might do iced tea or another cup of coffee about 2pm. I can't do it all day though as it makes me jittery.

I knew a lady that found a Dysautonomia foundation years ago. DRANK real coffee all day to help her around the house.

So we are all different. My ANS doc recommends the "as needed" coffee for me since I can't afford midodrine..and wearing off, midodrine gives me coat hanger pain. Coffee does not do that.

ALSO Small pieces of good DARK Chocolate can help me feel better at times.

Granted 'better' does not mean normal but maybe I can do a load of laundry or run a brief errand that day, or just get dressed other days! :)

Michele,

I drink a cup of coffee every morning. Sometimes I have a second cup of coffee or tea later on in the morning or early afternoon. Caffeine does help me to feel a little better. Not much, but every little bit helps. My doctors are okay with me drinking coffee each day.

Rachel

My top Dysautonominia Neuro. in the city told me only 2 cups of green tea a day and no more. Decaf of course for me and Gatorade by the gallons in between infusions.

Thanks for the replies. Im actually looking at this more from the point of view of whether antioxidants affect your POTS symptoms rather than whether caffeine is helpful.

Caffeine can be helpful because it increases blood pressure and this can be of shortterm benefit to most POTS patients - the problem is that is also increases sympathetic nervous system activity which can make POTS worse.

I guess in hindsight greentea was a bad example because of its caffeine content as well as its strong antioxidant effects.

Perhaps I should just ask the question: Do antioxidants help or make you feel worse?