Antidepressants

gertie

I'm still trying to get the nerve to try AD. At 65 you wouldn't think I would be so cautious but me & drugs don't mix. It's getting to the point that everything & everyone gets on my nerves. I don't feel like doing chores but I'm the only one to do them. I don't want to go anywhere or see anyone. I would just like to sit in my chair & everything be quiet.

One of my concerns is that I have migraines & seizures. I've read a lot of posts & the 2 that I'm considering is Klonopin or Effexor. Have any of you that have migraines tried either of these? If so, did they have a lot of side effects? Most drugs I try make migraines worse, double vision, seizures etc. Sorry to ramble. Thanks.

Hi Alicia,

I understand your fear completely, as I am ridiculously sensitive to medications. I just wanted to mention a few things. Klonopin (generic clonazepam) is NOT an anti-depressant, but Effexor is. They are very different medications, so here are some things to consider and talk to your doctor about. You will know how you respond to Klonopin within a few days, whereas Effexor will take 6-8 weeks of use before you will likely see positive effects. These medications are also most likely to help different symptoms - Klonopin is probably going to be more helpful for "overstimulated/anxiety-like" types of symptoms; Effexor is more likely to help symptoms such as lack of interest and energy, feeling down, etc. Both of the medications are ones that you should not stop taking abruptly, so keep this in mind as well. Finally, I wanted to mention this is regards to your medication sensitivity - if you are having a hard time tolerating a medication, it is worth talking to your doctor about it and trying a smaller dose. As I mentioned, I am extremely sensitive to medications, and I literally cut my tablets down as small as 1/8 of a pill. If it is a capsule, you can open it up and pour some of the dose out to make it smaller. Also, many medications come in liquid form, where it is easier to measure a small dose. Just be sure that you talk to your doctor about your symptoms and concerns, and once you start a medication, call the office and let the doctor know how it is affecting you. Good luck with your decision. I hope that you find something that works well with your system and helps you feel better. Keep us posted.

~ Broken_Shell :)

I experienced terrible migraines on Effexor but that doesn't mean that you will! I'm sure others will chime in and I think some people have had great luck with Effexor.

I understand where you are coming from! I am extremely sensitive to medications and I even have to compound meds so that I can take them in baby doses.

When it comes to anti-depressants it really is an individualized thing and sometimes involves a lot of trial and error.

Do some research and consider going with one that is available in liquid form---that would give you more freedom to titrate the dose slowly. I know Lexapro is available in liquid.

Best of luck in your search!

Guest GayleP
Thanks you for the great info. I always start a new drug with 1/8 - 1/4 dose. I did more research & found that the Neurontin/Gabapentin I take for migraines or seizures is the same type drug as Klonipin.

Neurontin and Klonipin are not the same. Klonipin is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines making it more similar to Ativan and Valium.

Hi Alicia,

Just wanted to let you know that Klonopin and Neurontin are not the same type of medication. Where did you read that they were? My formal education is in pharmacy, so I can assure you that they are different classes of medications that work differently within the body and can be helpful for different types of symptoms. Good luck with your decision!

~ Broken_Shell :)

Hi,

I wondered why you chose those two meds over the more commonly used anti-depressants used in dysautonomia treatment? Not that those meds are not used, but they are not used as often. What about Zoloft, Cymbalta, Lexapro etc? I think they have less side effects and are easier to wean on and off of for most people.

Just wondering...

:)

Effexor and cymbalta will increase your norepinephrine. If your norepinephrine levels are high to begin with then it is not a good idea to use these drugs. Talk to your doctor and ask if they will test your serum catecholamines to see if you need to increase your norepinephrine; sometimes doctors are hesitant to do this test since they are not familiar with what they mean. Also do a web search on effexor to see what others are saying about the drug and the withdrawal from them. My personal experience with getting off of effexor and cymbalta is that of going through emotional distress. However, not everyone has the same makeup and they react differently. You can always find someone who has had a negative drug experience no matter what the drug is. I do not know if klonipin helps migraines but I haven't noticed any side effects although I have heard you have to get off of it slowly.

I am on both Paxil and Klonopin, and neither of them seem to have increased my migraines. I take low doses, since I'm intolerant of meds like most of us. I've tried other anti-depressants, but Paxil is the only one that works for me. Klonopin also helps you sleep, which is a blessing for me. I hope you find the right drug for you - work with your doctor closely, and you may need to try a couple of different drugs to get the best result for you.

Best Wishes,

potsgirl